Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Keurig

2,241 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JSKolache
94chem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
After the euros decided we should all live in 200^ft apartments and stop wearing deodorant, they had to go and ruin a good cup of coffee. I pack that mesh thing as full as I can with good coffee, then I add a tsp of instant to my cup. Almost enough to wake me up. How are the rest of you battling the pod people?
94chem
Apparently they are from Vermont? The name still means "sleep in" in Swedish.
lead
Was that a poem?
Stive
AG
What are you talking about?
Philip J Fry
AG
I battle it by making a real pot of coffee.
94chem
I hear you, but I caved for marital bliss.
ac04
you're really showing whoever you politically oppose how stupid they are by inconveniencing yourself. great thread.
Ragoo
AG
I buy Hugh Jackman's Laughing Man k-cups. I feel a little like Wolverine with each sip. Or is it Jean Valjean?
The Collective
AG
This thread has made me buy pot stocks.
Duncan Idaho
94chem said:

sounds like you have a pretty crappy marriage. if you can't make a normal pot of coffee in your own house, either you are more effeminate than French florist or your wife is bigger control freak than a German foreman.
The Wonderer
AG
Buy a French Press and let your significant other suffer like the other coffee sheep.
Ragoo
AG
The Wonderer said:

Buy a French Press and let your significant other suffer like the other coffee sheep.
the french press is the most overhyped kneckbeard coffee making device on the planet.
The Wonderer
AG
Ragoo said:

The Wonderer said:

the french press is the most overhyped kneckbeard coffee making device on the planet.
But makes decent coffee in about 3 minutes with a $15 device. It's neckbeard if you time your steep, grind some weird beans that have been through the anus of a some central american monkey, and draw designs in your cup with frothed milk. I use mine to make folgers.
Duncan Idaho
Ragoo said:

The Wonderer said:

Huh? You literally just pour water over some coffee grounds. It is the easiest fastest cheapest way to a pot of good coffee.

To get as good of a pot from a drip machine you are talking about $300+ machine.

To get a faster cup of coffee, your are talking about a Keurig or a cup of instant.

To get better cup, you are talking about spending hundreds for a decent grinder and espresso machine.

Now this (my daily) is the most neckbeard coffee making device on the planet. But damned if it isn't a fine cup of coffee.

https://prima-coffee.com/equipment/hario/siphon

Ragoo
AG
to do properly you have to get the water temp just right. it only makes 2 maybe 3 cups at a time and you have to drink them rather quickly or your coffee goes cold. the clean up of the device is typically a mess and you have to clean it for each batch.

I go the kcup route because I am typically having 1 cup at 5 am and then my second cup at maybe 9 am on the weekend.
The Wonderer
AG
Ragoo said:

to do properly you have to get the water temp just right Boiling?. it only makes 2 maybe 3 cups at a time and you have to drink them rather quickly or your coffee goes cold As opposed to coffee made in a Kerieg or drip machine??. the clean up of the device is typically a mess and you have to clean it for each batch LOL.

I go the kcup route because I am typically having 1 cup at 5 am and then my second cup at maybe 9 am on the weekend.
I put a tea kettle on the stove when I get in the shower. When it whistles, I take it off and pour into the press and cover and let it steep while getting dressed (5 mins or so). Pour into my RTIC for the drive in and the rest into a 1.1 qt Stanley thermos for the day. My press makes enough to fill a 20 oz RTIC and my thermos without a problem. Clean up is rinsing out the can and running water over the top of the press screens - takes 2 minutes. I have hot tasty coffee at 8 am and 4pm from the same morning brew.
Ragoo
AG
The Wonderer said:

Ragoo said:

to do properly you have to get the water temp just right Boiling?. it only makes 2 maybe 3 cups at a time and you have to drink them rather quickly or your coffee goes cold As opposed to coffee made in a Kerieg or drip machine??. the clean up of the device is typically a mess and you have to clean it for each batch LOL.

I put a tea kettle on the stove when I get in the shower. When it whistles, I take it off and pour into the press and cover and let it steep while getting dressed (5 mins or so). Pour into my RTIC for the drive in and the rest into a 1.1 qt Stanley thermos for the day. My press makes enough to fill a 20 oz RTIC and my thermos without a problem. Clean up is rinsing out the can and running water over the top of the press screens - takes 2 minutes. I have hot tasty coffee at 8 am and 4pm from the same morning brew.
the thermos is a good idea. my comment about getting cold is the residual that doesn't make it into the first cup. While you are enjoying the first cup, cups 2 and 3 are sitting with the grounds and cooling. transfer to a different vessel so the grounds don't over brew and become sour.

During the week my time from when I wake up to out the door at 6:30 for daycare drop off is so regimented that the kcup is the only way i can get a cup in before heading out.

in my experience using the french press it is a bigger pita than the marginal improvement in quality versus the keurig which is the basis of my original opinion.
Duncan Idaho
Saying it doesn't match your needs is a far cry from saying it is the most neckbeard way to make coffee.

94chem
Quote:

Now this (my daily) is the most neckbeard coffee making device on the planet. But damned if it isn't a fine cup of coffee.
Pretty sure the DEA visits you before you can buy one of those.
94chem
Quote:

sounds like you have a pretty crappy marriage.
You don't English very well.
Duncan Idaho
94chem said:

Quote:

Pretty sure the DEA visits you before you can buy one of those.

My soxhlet extractor probably got me on that list
ORAggieFan
Been using a French press over 10 years. Great cup of coffee and not much work. Need high quality beans and a good grinder.
Dr. Horrible
Add in a couple of these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XD6CJDJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_3-0eAbWH7S3CR
62strat
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I remember that episode of Breaking bad, that was a good one.
JSKolache
AG
Ragoo said:

The Wonderer said:

horse****e. If you enjoy good coffee enough to spend a few extra bucks on product, there is no better way to prepare it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.