Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Credit card suggestions

4,591 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by RangerRick9211
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking at my credit report, I had a chase card opened in 2014 that was closed in 2017, and a chase card opened in '03 that is still open. (I think I know which one that is, it's in my night stand.), and then these 2 recent ones. Only 4 total chase cards listed, with these 2 being since 8/2016.

I did forget about a USAA visa I opened as well in 2017, and a target card in 3/2016, so add that to frontier and best buy and I'm at 6 total (not all chase cards) in the last 2 years. Target will drop off next month and I'll be 5, then it won't be until September until SW drops off.

Is it 5 'chase' cards opened in 24 months, or 5 cards from any lender?

Carlo4
AG
I'm trying to rack up as many of the travel miles as possible to use them whenever me and the lady travel. We aren't set on using a specific airline, so I don't mind mixing and matching for the rewards at first. A few months ago, I opened up a Barclaycard arrival+, got the 40,000 mile credit, and have added an additional 20,000 miles through CC spending. The 2X on all spending is nice!

Looking for a second (and maybe third) card. Couldn't decide between the Chase Sapphire or one of the American Airline cards. The red AA card gets me 40,000 miles just by buying a stick of gum and the annual fee up front, but I hear great things about the Sapphire.

My other cards:

-BoA MasterCard (college card with 13 years of good scores). Use it for Gym membership only to keep open.
-Barclaycard (see above)
-Corporate AMEX card (does that count against me)
-0% transfer fee/interest CC I received to pay off some debt, will cancel once I pay it off in 12 months.

Silky Johnston
I would suggest the Chase Sapphire Preferred. It looks like you have opened 4 cards in the last 24 months, which would mean you are only eligible for one Chase card due to the 5/24 rule. If you were to get the Aviator Red card, you would not be able to get the majority of Chase cards.

I am into churning and have most of the travel cards, so if you need any other recommendations let me know.

If you are interested, I have a referral code you can use for the Sapphire Preferred.

Silky Johnston
The Chase 5/24 rule is for ALL credit cards, not just Chase branded cards.
RangerRick9211
AG
Everyone is right about the 5/24 rule.

However, a few of Chase's cards aren't under 5/24. Conventional wisdom of order: Chase SW-Personal, Chase SW-Business, Chase Marriott, Ink or CSP, and maybe hold the 5th spot for the return of the 100k CSR.

Once you've spent your 5/24 slots. Go after the 5/24 exempt IHG and Marriott-Business.

That will give you Companion Pass for two years, 3 annual free nights between Marriott and IHG, 60k IHGs and 175k Marriott. Couple the Marriott with Amex's SPG Personal and Business, and you'll have 350k MRs. Spouse does the same apps and enjoy your RT flights and 7 nights at the Ritz.

Pick-up the 100k Amex Plat and do all your traveling in-style: skipping the TSA line and lounging in Centurion.

Have your spouse hold 2 future slots for when your CP expires in 2 years. Then have them go for the CP. Rinse-repeat; we're on year 7.
AggieMainland
I like the idea of keeping a spot open for the CSR if 100k comes back. I was too busy playing checkers (with 1 SW card) vs playing chess when the 100k bonus was first available....and missed out.
Business Time
AG
The usual recommendation is to double dip the Sapphire Reserve and Sapphire Preferred when 4/24. Apply for one in the morning, get it approved and apply for the second Card later that day. Plenty of data points of that working.

I'll share my CSR referral if anyone is interested.
GE
AG
I just signed up for the reserve. Seems like the additional benefits more than offset the extra cost compared to the preferred as long as you travel some
Silky Johnston
You can longer be approved for both the Reserve and Preferred cards. You can have one, or the other, but not both.

This is for new cards and not existing cards.
Business Time
AG
There is a work around to the one sapphire rule if you do not currently have a sapphire card. You can apply for both on the same day, and get both bonuses, but YMMV.
RangerRick9211
AG
Don't forget to have an exit plan if you're carrying multiple cards. Most have annual fees and aren't worth keeping without something from reconsideration or an annual perk.

Some you can downgrade to a no annual fee. Some hotel cards will offer annual certificates. But always call reconsideration. Flyertalk has great threads on specific cards and their reported recon offers.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.