Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Credit card suggestions

4,593 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by RangerRick9211
Mmetag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Need a new separate credit card for work purposes. (I travel and it will be nice to keep things separate). I am currently looking at the chase sapphire reserve as it gives 3 points per dollar on restaurants and travel and 1 point on everything else. Does anyone else have anything they think is better? I travel every two weeks or so pretty consistently.
Thanks
EliteZags
AG
whats included in points for 'travel', hotel/airfare/transportation?
Aggie71013
AG
If you have access to USAA, they have a card with 2.5% cash back on everything.
ORAggieFan
Chase Sapphire Reserve!
OasisMan
AG
ORAggieFan said:

Chase Sapphire Reserve!
GarlandAg2012
AG
Reserve was a shoe in when it had the 100k bonus, now you have to really assess how you will use it to see if it is worthwhile over the Preferred IMO.

You get an extra point per dollar for travel (note that this is the actual act of travelling, not every purchase while you are away from home). The airline fee credit is nice but if you're travelling for work that may not really be a factor for you. Gotta do the math on if 1 extra point is enough to offset the extra $100 (or $400 if the airline credit doesn't apply to you). If your employer is footing the bill for airline baggage and Chase wipes out the first $300 of that, not sure how that would work with something like a work expense report.

The Points Guy values UR points at about 2.2 cents I think so assuming you get the benefit of the airline credit and spend more than about $4,550 on Travel and Dining per year, the Reserve is better. Otherwise, the Preferred is the way to go.
Flaith
AG
Is your work travel mostly via airline?

If so, which airport? Do you often use the lounges?

Do you travel internationally?
Mmetag10
AG
I travel quite often but everything i do i expense (including airline, rental cars hotels etc) so i would be getting the benefits from it. Benefits are dining restaurants and travel (hotels, garage parking, air travel, rental cars etc) I know i could get the benefits out of it just asking if there is anything out there anyone thinks is better.
Thanks,
IrishTxAggie
AG
Too many factors to answer your question appropriately.

Which airline?
Which destination?
Preferred hotel chain?
Home airport?

I personally have the AMEX Platinum, but that's because I travel internationally a lot and get 5x points on airline purchases and the multiple lounges accessible via the Priority Pass is well worth it for me.
southernskies
GarlandAg2012 said:

Reserve was a shoe in when it had the 100k bonus, now you have to really assess how you will use it to see if it is worthwhile over the Preferred IMO.

You get an extra point per dollar for travel (note that this is the actual act of travelling, not every purchase while you are away from home). The airline fee credit is nice but if you're travelling for work that may not really be a factor for you. Gotta do the math on if 1 extra point is enough to offset the extra $100 (or $400 if the airline credit doesn't apply to you). If your employer is footing the bill for airline baggage and Chase wipes out the first $300 of that, not sure how that would work with something like a work expense report.

The Points Guy values UR points at about 2.2 cents I think so assuming you get the benefit of the airline credit and spend more than about $4,550 on Travel and Dining per year, the Reserve is better. Otherwise, the Preferred is the way to go.
False. I have the reserve and the $300 credit goes toward anything transportation wise. They have reimbursed me for Uber rides, parking meter fees, and hotels.
southernskies
^^All of that applies to the city in which you reside as well, just to clarify.
Mmetag10
AG
Always United always domestic. I have the united mileage explorer already so not looking at another airline card.
GarlandAg2012
AG
I guess I wasn't clear. It's all spending in the travel category, not all spending done while travelling. For instance an Uber in your home town is categorized as travel so it counts. However buying a ream of paper at an office supply store in Germany is categorized as office supplies even though you are "travelling" as in away from home.
Diggity
AG
Most people shouldn't have a problem racking up $300 in "travel" expenses each year.
DonaldFDraper
AG
Let me know if you want a referral for the Chase Reserve/Preferred, or Amex Platinum.

Yes, I have all 3.
permabull
AG
Mmetag10
AG
The reserve gives you way more flexibility in how you want to use your points in my opinion. The reserve also is more broad in the 3% travel category taking parking rental cars etc into account as well not just hotel and airfare. It also has a nice signing bonus of 50,000 points something the uber doesn't have. I did seriously consider the uber to begin with but the more i went down the rabbit hole the more i realized it wasn't right for my situation.
ag03kc
AG
I am looking for a credit card that gives cash back for my general family spending (monthly bills, dining out, gas, etc). I am not as interested in travel rewards, my preference would be to get cash back on purchases. I have been researching a cards for a few days, but I wanted to see what other Aggies are using. I am currently considering Citi Double Cash Card, Blue Cash Preferred AmEX, and Chase Sapphire Preferred. I am sure that I am overlooking some other great cards. Any advice?
IrishTxAggie
AG
HSBC Cash Rewards might ne a good option

Good website to compare on:
https://www.nextadvisor.com/credit_cards/cash_back.php
SlackerAg
AG
I'm tempted to get the Amazon Prime card (also part of Chase Rewards): 5% cash back on Amazon purchases, 2% on dining/gas, 1% for everything else, with no annual fee.
Diggity
AG
That one is a no-brainer if you use Amazon a lot.

Just make it your default card and it can be set to automatically apply reward balances to purchases.

I don't use it for anything else so it sits in a drawer.
permabull
AG
permabull
AG
Diggity
AG
That's a good point. I'm too lazy for that though.
Matsui
AG
Amex Blue Cash
DonaldFDraper
AG
Are you a member at Sam's or Costco? Both of their cards are really good for cash back. If not, Uber card seem pretty good. Amex Blue Preferred can't be beatfor groceries.

Just depends on where you primarily spend your money. For family, I would think the Costco card coupled with the Amex Blue Cash Preferred would be the simplest combo that would yield solid rewards. You would get 6% Groceries, 4% on Gas, 3% on Dinning and Travel, 2% at Costco, 1% everywhere else.

As with most things if you want to spend more time/effort, you can maximize things more but simplicity has value. And that's coming from a guy with 10+ credit cards.
ag03kc
AG
Thanks for the feedback. I am a Sam's Club member, but that is mainly for gas and a few bulk purchases throughout the year.
ag03kc
AG
Thanks. I appreciate the link. This is similar to some of the websites I have researched, but I have not seen this site specifically. I will look more into the card you recommended.
permabull
AG
62strat
AG
newmayne4 said:

GarlandAg2012 said:

False. I have the reserve and the $300 credit goes toward anything transportation wise. They have reimbursed me for Uber rides, parking meter fees, and hotels.

All of those things you've listed are considered as travel expenses.

Eating at a restaurant in a city away from home while your are traveling is not. (Though, as far as expensing that cost at work, it is likely considered.)

That's what he's saying. Just because your work is reimbursing it for you as travel expenses, it doesn't mean the credit card considers it as a travel expense.
62strat
AG
I was looking for one of the active card threads, but can't seem to find any as this one was on 9th page.

So I signed up for Chase SW card just over a year ago, the Chase Marriott card back last summer, and the frontier card over xmas break. I did them all for sign up bonuses of course, and use them for different things. Well I went to do United explorer as they were offering 50k sign up bonus, and I got denied?! It said too many cards opened recently.

I have about an 820 credit score as long as I can remember (10 years maybe?), haven't paid interest on a credit card in well over a decade, and typically use/payoff about $5-$7k a month of my $100k available credit over 6-7 cards. It honestly never crossed my mind that I would get denied.

Has this happened to any of you who seem like you do a lot of card hopping? Is it because they are all still open maybe?

I was hoping to use this in June for flights. How long should I wait to try again?
Business Time
AG
How many accounts have you added in the last 24 months? Chase has a 5/24 policy and won't let you open new cards if you have 5 accounts from any issuer opened in that time.
62strat
AG
Business Time said:

How many accounts have you added in the last 24 months? Chase has a 5/24 policy and won't let you open new cards if you have 5 accounts from any issuer opened in that time.
those 3 plus just one other I can think of.
Business Time
AG
Are you an authorized user on other cards, or have store cards? You can check experian or credit karma for free to be sure there isn't another card out there. Those types of cards count, but can be explained away in a reconsideration phone call.

But if you're only at 4/24, there is another possibility that they don't want to extend you additional credit. Was the most recent credit limit from Chase substantially lower than earlier cards? Also, if you don't really have a history of opening accounts and have suddenly opened several the algorithm may see you as a bustout candidate. In either case you should call Chase on a recon call, they can move your credit limit around to open the card.

Make sure you're meeting the minimum spend in time to get any bonuses on the card.
Post removed:
by user
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.