Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Backpack Recommendations for the office

9,378 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Wizard
Quailmeezy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A little outside the box but figured this would be a good place to ask if anyone had any work backpacks that they like for an office type setting.

I'm finishing up my PhD and about to start a "real" job. The company has open seating every day so it looks like I'm going to be taking my laptop back and forth quite a bit. Just wanted to check in here to see if anyone has one that they think is particularly comfortable, useful, etc.

I'd love something like this, but of course don't want to drop $400 http://bit.ly/2hftxIC
Duncan Idaho
I am a bigger fan of a well designed messenger bag. The big thing is not to load down you bag with crap. With a back pack, I always needed to have a back pack because I had so much crap that I carried because I had a back pack. Make sense?
I have something similar to this.

http://www.coach.com/coach-metropolitan-courier/72061.html?dwvar_color=QBMAH&src=googleshopping&cid=S_GPLA72061_campaignid=220774522&gclid=Cj0KCQiArYDQBRDoARIsAMR8s_R0uUyoGD1chbjSf0M0vHKkTa7zrRFMSZCnKQMdVX15KCqp0RMQ09IaApzAEALw_wcB
Duncan Idaho
I Also would not suggest buying a really nice one until you have a chance to figure out your real needs.

Who knows what size laptop you will get? Or how big the brick is, etc?
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Not sure your field, but I will second the messenger bag approach. I used to use a swissgear backpack and it was great for functionality but once I got to a point where I was going before state boards and the like, it felt silly to have a backpack with a suit. So i switched to a nice leather messenger back to get a more professional image. I use this and it carries all i have ever needed it to.

https://www.theluggagecollection.com/products/samsonite-leather-flapover-case-double-gusset?gclid=Cj0KCQiArYDQBRDoARIsAMR8s_TS9hZhsKb9YPmgPkewGqHIoIjOHqI1qBCIY_1mIdZ-azxf9q1wKlEaAgcOEALw_wcB
Quailmeezy
AG
Thanks for the rec. I start next week so I figured it was time to start looking. Like you said though, I probably won't buy anything until I have an idea on size.

I have a messenger back I bought in Italy in 2012 that I have used throughout my PhD (in Houston). It is okay but the strap is thin (not comfortable with anything heavy inside) and overall it is a bit worn.

The new job will be in Philadelphia so I probably need something that is able to withstand snow/rain better than the leather messenger bag I have now.
2012Ag
AG
Just purchased this one a few weeks ago and love it. Feels much nicer than the crappy JanSports I kept buying. It's very spacious and comfortable without being too bulky.

Backpack link
Duncan Idaho
I also found the messenger bag to be better when I have to ride public transport. If I need to sit down on the bus or a train I can just slide it around to the front.
thaed137
AG
I have a targus back pack meant for laptops that has held up well for over 5 years. Several other people in my company use it. It fits compuer and all my clothes for the gym and lunch so no complaints. As others have said its not meant to be used in professional setting but for to and from work and work trips it is great.
The Wonderer
AG
I carry a 5.11 messenger bag and really like it. Will probably be buying a bigger one soon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FD7YKGA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
I have and love this messenger - https://www.peakdesign.com/everyday-messenger
dantes
AG
https://www.timbuk2.com/messenger-bags

DallasAggie0
If you're young some of these suggestions will look dorky.

Something like a northface will be good for weather and will look good.

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/equipment-backpacks/recon?variationId=PLK
TennAg
Agree with above suggestions of getting a messenger/cloth briefcase. Spend a little cash and get something that will look casual now but classic as you move up in your career.

Something like this: https://www.filson.com/24-hour-tin-briefcase.html?sku=11070140-fco-000971916&gclid=Cj0KCQiArYDQBRDoARIsAMR8s_TNsIK3wXWjLdLtQvVoIoqZC0bDSu7t0FxoLaZ18TE-lpCzSYwEckAaAqiBEALw_wcB
Quailmeezy
AG
I'm youngish (30) and intrigued by the north face backpacks. We will be flying back to Texas quite a bit to see family and friends so it would be nice on the plane also.
DallasAggie0
Quailmeezy said:

I'm youngish (30) and intrigued by the north face backpacks. We will be flying back to Texas quite a bit to see family and friends so it would be nice on the plane also.

I travel frequently for work and the backpack is clutch especially the water bottle holders.

Not to mention my red/grey backpack looks really good in contrast to my dark blue suit.
Premium
AG
I've had everything from a Saddleback to the Sam's Club Swiss Gears that everyone has.

This is hands down the classiest, most efficient, comfortable and useful backpack I've ever seen or owned (for business):

eBags Professional Slim Laptop Backpack (Solid Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DU0PEA8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_NvqaAbKYHZPR0

I'm a super Amazon user and did tons of research before landing on it. It will not disappoint.
docaggie
AG
Premium said:

I've had everything from a Saddleback to the Sam's Club Swiss Gears that everyone has.

This is hands down the classiest, most efficient, comfortable and useful backpack I've ever seen or owned (for business):

eBags Professional Slim Laptop Backpack (Solid Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DU0PEA8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_NvqaAbKYHZPR0

I'm a super Amazon user and did tons of research before landing on it. It will not disappoint.
I'll second that. I actually was scrolling down to post this exact one.
I've done messenger bags and briefcases, etc. Gone through a lot of them.
This backpack is awesome, stores a ton, and looks sharp. It's my carry on bag for flights as well. Large laptop fits easily, plus my iPad, a book, snacks, drink, etc.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Buck Compton
AG
All depends on the setting. Plenty of good recommendations here.

For the most part - don't bring a backpack in front of a Fortune 500 exec, board, judge, etc. Nothing necessarily wrong with it, but it sends the incorrect message, IMO.

Messenger bags (like mine) are just as easy to travel with as a backback as they sit nicely on your carry on bag, and much easier if using public transit in a large city. I am always on the road and in and out of meetings at different locations, but this style has lasted me during 100% travel for work over the past two years (something like 230 flights and over 400 nights in a hotel/at a client) - still looks great.

You don't really need that much every day - laptop, charger, phone charger, pen, notepad, business cards, pack of gum/mints. That's it. I will occasionally also carry a document folder similar to this picture for any briefings/printouts/speaking notes/etc.
Joe West is a fat piece of **** and a waste of oxygen.
ATM9000
AG
I got an AER backpack and love it. Has a compartment for my laptop and other work things, one for my gym clothes and a completely separate one for my gym shoes. Have owned it for 2 years now and it is showing no real signs of wear and tear and That's through some heavy commuting (train rides, walking through snow, etc). Well priced at 150 when I bought mine too... easily the best backpack I've ever owned.
aggolfer
AG
Ogio Renegade
ac04
i had an ogio that survived 5 years of me beating it to hell consulting/traveling with it. just replaced it with another. great backpacks.
Quailmeezy
AG
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will be working for a "Big Pharma" company doing clinical trial design and analysis for new HIV drugs. I will definitely have to look professional for presentations sometimes (upper management, FDA, etc.), and figure I will just bring my brown messenger bag in that case. The office is more business-casual though so I'm sure a backpack would be fine.

I looked at some reviews and decided to order the ebags slim laptop backpack that a few of you guys suggested. Texags never disappoints with good advice.

I will keep the messenger bags that you guys suggested in mind though in case I decide to upgrade my messenger bag in the future.
94chem
Leather soft-side brief cases also look really nice. You carry it with a strap just like the messenger bag. They also make leather backpacks that can be carried as messenger bags depending on where you attach the strap.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Backpacks are for seniors in college. Put on your big boy britches and get a nicer brief case style bag.
Premium
AG
hodgesco said:

Backpacks are for seniors in college. Put on your big boy britches and get a nicer brief case style bag.

I prefer a business appropriate backpack:

DallasAggie0
hodgesco said:

It's not 1990 anymore
DriftwoodAg
AG
Premium said:

hodgesco said:

I prefer a business appropriate backpack:

the strap goes across your body, it's not a purse
Premium
AG
Does this make you feel better?

RogerEnright
I have used messenger bags for years. As many have said, for a presentation, it is more acceptable.

If you are going business casual, go all the way. Previously I worked as a consultant and in other advisory roles; I used my messenger bags. Now I own a small business and use sporty backpacks.

I doubt your boss will care much if it is business casual. Just take your brown bag for the first few days and feel it out. Then spend good money on a sporty backpack if you think that will be acceptable.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Tumi anthracite FTW.
ChoppinDs40
AG
https://www.tumi.com/p/knox-backpack-0222681AT2?utm_source=google&utm_medium=pla&utm_content=0222681AT2&utm_campaign=gs+:_brand&gclid=Cj0KCQiA84rQBRDCARIsAPO8RFxBI1LLHhKZVJvHqGYJK6upmtgBsBRztR6akDkMUkT_LA2htvCNth8aAl7HEALw_wcB
62strat
AG
I had something similar to this.

It is a messenger style bag that had hidden straps so it could convert to a backpack. I loved it. From car to office/short distances, I'd just carry it like a briefcase, but if I was in airport or otherwise needed it secure on my back, I'd switch it to backpack. I don't particularly like messenger style for lots of walking, it moves around too much.
I used it daily for 3 years, and traveled about 12 times or so in an 18 month time period, and it held up 100%. No loose sew joints or zippers.

diehard03
Since the back topics are brought up, what about the roller computer bags? I know they can be pain to go long distances or through snow and whatnot.
The Wonderer
AG
diehard03 said:

Since the back topics are brought up, what about the roller computer bags? I know they can be pain to go long distances or through snow and whatnot.
And look like the nerdy kid in high school that hauled all their books to every class and jammed up the hallways.
FincAg
AG
I've got a Half Mass red messenger from Patagonia that I really like that is my day to day bag. Multi purpose, similar to the 24L Black Hole they now carry but not that tacky shiny plastic look. Big. Holds my own 21" and my work 15" no problem, plus notes and cords.

Also a travel laptop bag by Targus with all the handy compartments and TSA approved so no taking my laptop out of the bag. For....when traveling.

Lastly, classic leather messenger bag. One compartment for either a portfolio or slim laptop, and two little pouches for pens, cards, notes.

I like having all three because each serves their purpose depending on who I meet or where I am going.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.