Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Any elder law attorney recommendations

986 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by wessimo
dead zip 01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My mother-in-law's health and financial situations are rapidly declining and my wife is trying to get her arms around the whole mess and figure out what her mom's options are going forward.

We're looking for a good Elder Law attorney who can provide some guidance on how to proceed. The Houston or San Antonio areas would be ideal but for what we need it could probably be done over the phone so location isn't a huge issue. Thanks
The Original AG 76
AG
if your mom is cooperating you probably don't need a lawyer. Simply find a good estate planning professional and have all of the correct papers drawn up. The various powers of attny, a will, medical directives and such can be drawn up for less than a grand and in an afternoon.
If she is no longer able or won't cooperate then you got a problem and probably do need an attorney .
localag88
Molly Abshire at Wright & Abshire in Houston. Good Ag at the top of her field...she teaches other attorneys the ins and outs of this area of practice.

I speak as both a satisfied customer and member of the legal profession.
localag88
...and beware of "estate planning professionals" and less trustworthy attorneys trying to sell you things you don't need. Everyone's situation is different, but over the years I've seen too many folks come in my office with leather-bound trust instruments they paid thousands for and for which they had absolutely no need. There's plenty of crooks out there.
The Original AG 76
AG
localag88 said:

...and beware of "estate planning professionals" and less trustworthy attorneys trying to sell you things you don't need. Everyone's situation is different, but over the years I've seen too many folks come in my office with leather-bound trust instruments they paid thousands for and for which they had absolutely no need. There's plenty of crooks out there.
so true. IF there are no controversies nor complications and she is lucid and cooperative ( you are damn lucky) all you need ( in Texas) are the various powers of attny's , a good will , and the medical directive of her choice. Nothing fancy. MOST people don't need a trust even though a lot of folks will try to sell them on one. If her estate is simple and straight forward and not over the death tax threshold it really isn't complicated.
Cancelled
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

if your mom is cooperating you probably don't need a lawyer. Simply find a good estate planning professional and have all of the correct papers drawn up. The various powers of attny, a will, medical directives and such can be drawn up for less than a grand and in an afternoon.
If she is no longer able or won't cooperate then you got a problem and probably do need an attorney .

Who is going to draft those docs? If it is an unlicensed attorney, that not legal.
nactownag
AG
I think he's probably also looking for some Medicaid planning advice...a quality estate planning attorney can also provide assistance with this.

By the way, I have a living trust and I'm under the estate tax threshold. Some people just prefer to avoid probate with their assets.
wessimo
AG
James McGill does a great job!

505-842-5662
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.