Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stepping stone after SAP implementation ? (job/career based)

906 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PFG
PFG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here's the elevation pitch:

I just finished an SAP implementation for one of the largest privately held companies in the world. In my 12 months on the project, I was doused in all things corporate ERP, from process mapping to end user training. Less than 30 days from Go-Live, the company announced a huge acquisition, and put SAP on a 18-24 month back burner simmer.

The lack of implementation meant zero post ERP hyper-care jobs, and left me scrambling for the next job opportunity. I've exhausted options at the current company.

Anyone with SAP/ERP experience have some advice on where to look next? This was my first exposure to SAP, so I'm still trying to determine if there is demand for what I learned.

In more general terms, I guess this is mostly about taking talents gathered in Job A, and trying to find Job B.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Where are you located?

Consulting may be right up your alley.

Recommend this book: https://www.amazon.com/Consulting-Economy-Manage-Workforce-Revolution-ebook/dp/B06XCPCGG4
PFG
AG
Thanks for the book suggestion.

I'm on the I-35 corridor between SA and ATX. Just a short hop and skip and traffic filled drive between 2 urban centers with lots of corporate offices.
Complaint Investigator
AG
Consulting - plan on being gone from home M-Th or F for most of the year to client sites. But you can make some $$ doing it.

Your best bet is to get on as a project manager somewhere that has SAP, and uses the modules you are familiar with. That's what I did.

I now am now a project manager engaged with SAP projects and upgrades across one of the market leaders in semiconductors. My BU is awesome, and there are endless opportunities. They paid for my PMP training (I need to schedule the test to complete the process.)

I had a similar experience albeit with a smaller company - though mine spanned a bit longer timewise. I was hired on quick by my current employer. Thursday, the internal military recruiter I found on LinkedIn blasted my resume out to directors who were hiring project managers. 30 mins later I had an e-mail from my now director. I spoke with him Friday. Over the weekend, my direct manager arranged an interview with me on Monday. Tuesday, I woke up from surgery with a job offer for the highest salary range that I threw out. We also just got word that they are starting a project/pilot program with a part of SAP that I have extensive experience with. The job comes with a promotion. Guess who got put on the project?

Those skills are in demand. Market yourself on LinkedIn, network network network. My military network landed me this job, but that's not to say I didn't reach out to Aggies as well.
PFG
AG
Great input. Thank you.

Do you have an e-mail address where I could ask a few more details? Appreciate it.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.