Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Tune Up - A Manly Salon

23,458 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The Wonderer
The Wonderer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
OasisMan said:

In Jax FL I go to a place that is run by some Russian girls

They are also well endowed and dress skimpy

Haircut gets you a free beer or shot of vodka

I don't dislike it
Where is this? I went to a place around JTB and 3rd in Jax Beach. Was never a bad sight.
Dr. Venkman
AG
I like talking to barbers that I get to know and have common interests. Basically, not small talk. Matt @ Bellaire's Original Barber Shop knew a lot about construction and I would pick his brain on various projects I had going on. He even got me hooked up with a Packers tailgate on my trip to Green Bay. Got to meet one of the board of directors, hold a Super Bowl ring, etc.

Agree that beer or any other drink/food is pointless.
OasisMan
AG
The Wonderer said:

OasisMan said:

In Jax FL I go to a place that is run by some Russian girls

They are also well endowed and dress skimpy

Haircut gets you a free beer or shot of vodka

I don't dislike it
Where is this? I went to a place around JTB and 3rd in Jax Beach. Was never a bad sight.
ya on A1A between 7th/8th st, paradise
AggieMavsfan
AG
Seven Costanza said:

I have no interest in drinking beer while having my hair cut. My goal is to get in and out of there as quickly as possible.

A better model would be a chain that markets itself as "we don't talk at all. You tell us what you want and then we shut up and quietly cut your hair." "Come to Quiet Cuts. We won't ask you about your day and we won't babble on endlessly about how our loser kids just wrecked the car."

That place needs a Ron Swanson endorsement. I'd go there.
redag06
Don't want to talk the person doing my hair, so I go the place by my office where they only speak Vietnamese, and the cut is $6.
Ragoo
AG
AggieMavsfan said:

Seven Costanza said:

I have no interest in drinking beer while having my hair cut. My goal is to get in and out of there as quickly as possible.

A better model would be a chain that markets itself as "we don't talk at all. You tell us what you want and then we shut up and quietly cut your hair." "Come to Quiet Cuts. We won't ask you about your day and we won't babble on endlessly about how our loser kids just wrecked the car."

That place needs a Ron Swanson endorsement. I'd go there.
no crap. Sometimes the chick asks about what I do for work and all I can think is why are you asking me this? There is no way you can even comprehend what I am about to tell you.
montejr
AG
I live close to the original Tune Up. I think the franchiser lives in my neighborhood. I can't speak for other locations, but this one stays busy. I've had a good experience each time, but don't carry the VIP. As mentioned above, the turnover from a business stand point is probably one of the harder things to manage. When I first started going I went to the same girl for about 12 months, but now it's a new one just about every time.

I think this business model for haircuts is good. This market will continue to grow as the new selfie generation gets older and has more money. Just my two cents.
bmks270
AG
Most packed barber shop I have been too was styled like a tattoo parlor, had some arcade games inside, very very busy. All male barbers, young lady at the front desk managed appointments and payment. Fastest and best cuts I've ever had. In and out in 15-20 minutes.

I don't think you need beer to have a successful barber shop. Men want fast cuts, not like women who spend 90 minutes gossiping at the salon drinking wine.
WoMD
bmks270 said:

Most packed barber shop I have been too was styled like a tattoo parlor, had some arcade games inside, very very busy. All male barbers, young lady at the front desk managed appointments and payment. Fastest and best cuts I've ever had. In and out in 15-20 minutes.

I don't think you need beer to have a successful barber shop. Men want fast cuts, not like women who spend 90 minutes gossiping at the salon drinking wine.

Men want fast cuts. These places are catered towards hipsters, not men.
bmks270
AG
WoMD said:

bmks270 said:

I'll add even Moms take their little sons to this place and you see a kid on an arcade game every now and then. Great atmosphere. No beer needed, and how do you even drink while barber has scissors by your face and ears and head? Also had a few corner TVs tuned to espn or sports.
The Wonderer
AG
bmks270 said:

WoMD said:

bmks270 said:

I'll add even Moms take their little sons to this place and you see a kid on an arcade game every now and then. Great atmosphere. No beer needed, and how do you even drink while barber has scissors by your face and ears and head? Also had a few corner TVs tuned to espn or sports.
They change instruments, you take a chug. I usually finish a beer before my haircut is even finished.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.