Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Tune Up - A Manly Salon

23,736 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The Wonderer
what say you
How long do you want to ignore this user?
in short, this place is like a Sport Clips but they serve beer. I had a friend tell me about them and was curious what you all thought of buying into a franchise like this.

I'm told the franchising fee is 25K, then another 180-200K for getting everything ready for the grand opening.

Rough numbers I heard that were needed to make a profit was that you had to clear 17K... everything after that is profit. On average 20-25 haircuts a day are needed to break even. A haircut costs $25, all the extras like steam towl, manny and peddy (yes, they have these), along with VIP memberships not included the above numbers.

I'm told there are appx 15 open in Texas.

TwoMarksHand
AG
I may be in the minority for my age, but I prefer to get my haircut in an old worn out barbershop by an old man who has seen a thing or two. Nothing more than simple haircut...$12 including the tip and you're done. But, like I said, I'm probably in the minority.
IrishTxAggie
AG
TwoMarksHand said:

I may be in the minority for my age, but I prefer to get my haircut in an old worn out barbershop by an old man who has seen a thing or two. Nothing more than simple haircut...$12 including the tip and you're done. But, like I said, I'm probably in the minority.
I'm about the same. I get mine at Capone's Barber Shop over near CityCentre off of Gessner. Old style barbershop. The owner, Mark, is ex-military and an ex-cop (I think). $20 and they straight razor your neck. They'll do straight razor shaves too. Lots of cussing and dirty jokes. Good place.
jpc08
AG
Sounds like Knockouts or Boardroom Salon. I think there are quite a few places with the exact same business model that want to capture that level between cheap/fast chop shop and higher-end salon with independent contractors. It would probably do well in the suburbs but the market would quickly get saturated if it hasn't already.
IrishTxAggie
AG
jpc08 said:

Sounds like Knockouts or Boardroom Salon. I think there are quite a few places with the exact same business model that want to capture that level between cheap/fast chop shop and higher-end salon with independent contractors. It would probably do well in the suburbs but the market would quickly get saturated if it hasn't already.
Boardroom is way overpriced
MPython43
There is one around the corner from my house. Heard good things from guys in the neighborhood but I've never seen a crowd there. Sort of surprised they're still operating. Having said that, that model doesn't really stand out in Austin because I think more places serve beer than don't while getting a haircut. The Tune Up by my house serves hard liquor, though.
Ragoo
AG
I go to a sport clips. I like sports and a shampoo/hot towel. I usually can tolerate the actual haircut if short enough. I went to a salon one time not knowing and the lady wanted $80. Never again. My hair needs to be cut again in 3-4 weeks. Don't care about beer, I am by myself and want to get in and out.
what say you
from what I gather, when you become a VIP member, you get to have your own bottled stashed at their bar with your name on it and only you can drink it. I'm also told that since this is a "service" they don't have to follow all of the TABC rules. All hearsay, but...
what say you
my thoughts exactly, I have never had a desire to hang out while I get a haircut. I don't talk to folks while I wait and really have no desire to. Not sure how these models make money either but I need to ask TA for confirmation.
wheelskjm
AG
An Aggie friend owns a few (or will own, cant remember if they've launched yet or not). Seems interesting.

The colorado market locations won't just have alcohol.
CapCity12thMan
AG
Sport Clips has what guys want - sports and a less expensive haircut than Boardroom or the next level up. The problem with their business model is that they introduce something that guys don't want - talking. I like to go in, get cut and leave. I don't want to talk about my day.
Petrino1
I think one main issue, similar to restaurants, is attracting and retaining employees (hair stylists). Most hair stylists at the chain places like these typically dont stick around longer than a few months. Ive talked to several hair salon managers that said it was hard attracting new employees.
The Pilot
AG
My issue with Sport Clips is the inconsistency. I go to Culwell & Son's Grooming Room in Dallas, maybe $5 more than Sport Clips but much better cut.
dallasiteinsa02
I think their concept of having a guaranteed income stream from the VIPs is really smart. If you could get it to the point that it covers your fixed costs that would be incredible.

From a non-VIP standpoint, the place sucks. I have been three times and want to like it. Twice I showed up and there might have been one person waiting and three people cutting hair. Didn't get in for an hour. The other time I showed up right when they opened and still waited 30 minutes because a few VIPs walked in a few minutes after me.
what say you
Dallas, why do you "want to like" this place? I ask because I find myself really drawn to this place from the standpoint of operating one. I'm not sure if it's the relatively low franchise fee price (25k), the potential of what this place could be, or the fact that I never thought I could open my own business at my age (32)... something is just attractive to me about it and I'm not sure why.
double aught
AG
How do you drink beer while getting your hair cut? The logistics seem challenging.
Seven Costanza
AG
I have no interest in drinking beer while having my hair cut. My goal is to get in and out of there as quickly as possible.

A better model would be a chain that markets itself as "we don't talk at all. You tell us what you want and then we shut up and quietly cut your hair." "Come to Quiet Cuts. We won't ask you about your day and we won't babble on endlessly about how our loser kids just wrecked the car."
lataqueria
Seven Costanza said:

I have no interest in drinking beer while having my hair cut. My goal is to get in and out of there as quickly as possible.

A better model would be a chain that markets itself as "we don't talk at all. You tell us what you want and then we shut up and quietly cut your hair." "Come to Quiet Cuts. We won't ask you about your day and we won't babble on endlessly about how our loser kids just wrecked the car."

THIS!
Every time I get my hair cut I feel like I have to make small talk with someone who has no common interest with me. "Yes the weather IS hot and humid. Yes that game was really good. No, I don't know which Kardashian has the biggest butt".

My tip is inversely proportional to how much small talk I had to endure.
WoMD
Unless there's a woman under my black drape I have no interest in anything other than a haircut when getting my hair cut. No gimmicks. Get me in and out as fast as possible and you get a bigger tip. More small talk and you get a smaller tip.

There's a hipster place down the street from me that sounds similar to this. I sat down, and they offered me a beer. I said no, just cut my damn hair. $60 and a mediocre haircut later, I decided to stick to the Chinese women for $15, and get $45 in beer to drink in pretty much any other setting.

The only thing better would be if you are given beer at the dentist.
Pelayo
AG
TwoMarksHand said:

No, I don't think you are.

Though a happy ending after the trim in the OP's franchise might please a few on this forum.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Duncan Idaho
I got the best haircut the other day because it was just this experience.

She confirmed which blade I wanted. Ask how much off the top and rounded or squared. I told her "you're the professional" then sat in silence, pretty sure I doozed off and woke up to a great haircut.
bjork
WoMD said:

Unless there's a woman under my black drape I have no interest in anything other than a haircut when getting my hair cut. No gimmicks. Get me in and out as fast as possible and you get a bigger tip. More small talk and you get a smaller tip.

There's a hipster place down the street from me that sounds similar to this. I sat down, and they offered me a beer. I said no, just cut my damn hair. $60 and a mediocre haircut later, I decided to stick to the Chinese women for $15, and get $45 in beer to drink in pretty much any other setting.

The only thing better would be if you are given beer at the dentist.
I go to Cutthroat in Houston. It's uber hipster and $35/cut.

I've had the same guy for a few years. Cuts it right every time. I enjoy the beer if I have to wait a few minutes.
_lefraud_
AG
TwoMarksHand
AG
You ought to give free beer if you buy the full meal deal.
Diggity
AG
I think there's obviously a market for this and other "manscaping" types of businesses. Probably not amongst the average TexAger though. I picture it appealing more the millennial, urban hipster, metro, or pretentious crowd.

I don't know how easy it would be to stand out from a crowded field and wonder how much value a franchise would bring if there isn't already large awareness of that business in the market
Aggie1205
AG
Hair Lovers near 290 and 610. $9.99 for men's cut.
Picadillo
Years ago in my teens I got a gift certificate to the latest fancy downtown men's salon. Will never forget the well endowed young lady who leaned over my face to give a shampoo while displaying some of the most spectacular cleavage ever seen by mankind. I could see all the way to Dallas.
OasisMan
AG
In Jax FL I go to a place that is run by some Russian girls

They are also well endowed and dress skimpy

Haircut gets you a free beer or shot of vodka

I don't dislike it
62strat
AG
Who in the hell wants to drink beer while you're getting your haircut?

That's a recipe for disaster.

They need to just have bikini hair cut places. All of a sudden, every dude would opt to get their hair washed before the cut.
TwoMarksHand
AG
62strat said:

They need to just have bikini hair cut places. All of a sudden, every dude would opt to get their hair washed before the cut.
Now we're getting somewhere!
Iowaggie
AG
You could call it Eroticuts.
SlackerAg
AG
Iowaggie said:

You could call it Eroticuts.

Or call it Trim.
_lefraud_
AG
62strat said:

Who in the hell wants to drink beer while you're getting your haircut?

That's a recipe for disaster.

They have a place like this in Salt Lake I think, of all places.
halfastros81
AG
you drink beer while you are waiting to get your haircut.

I go to Tune Up in either Magnolia or The Woodlands. It's a little on the high side but not totally ridiculous. Seems like the established franchise always has a wait. The new one not so much.
Baby Billy
AG
They have one in College Station. Sounds horrible.

I don't want to sit around with a beer and socialize with my hairdresser or other guys trying to get their hair cut. Just cut my hair and shut up
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.