Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Prediction for timing of market correction?

8,561 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Pelayo
aunuwyn08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think this would be an interesting read for those interested in market timing and quantitative algorithms. There are much better sources, but this is a good entry point. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/can-math-beat-financial-markets/
canagian
AG
some great quotes:
  • "Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections, or trying to anticipate corrections, than has been lost in corrections themselves."
  • "I can't recall ever once having seen the name of a market timer on Forbes' annual list of the richest people in the world. If it were truly possible to predict corrections, you'd think somebody would have made billions by doing it."
  • "In the financial markets, hindsight is forever 20/20, but foresight is legally blind. And thus, for most investors, market timing is a practical and emotional impossibility."
  • "The idea that a bell rings to signal when investors should get into or out of the stock market is simply not credible. After nearly fifty years in this business, I do not know of anybody who has done it successfully and consistently. I don't even know anybody who knows anybody who has done it successfully and consistently. Yet market timing appears to be increasingly embraced by mutual fund investors and the professional managers of fund portfolios alike."

and finally:
  • "The average investor's return is significantly lower than market indices due primarily to market timing."

but of course everyone on here is an above-average investor...
claym711
AG
aunuwyn08 said:

First, incorporating new information wouldn't invalidate the accuracy of an algorithm - I didn't make that claim. I claimed that the introduction or elimination of additional parameters would. For instance if my algorithm predicts Y through an analysis of X1 and X2 and I incorporate new observations of X1 or X2 into the algorithm then my algorithm remains unchanged. However, if all of the sudden my algorithm attempts to account for a new variable to explain Y and becomes based upon an analysis of X1 X2 and X3 then the reliability of the algorithm has been compromised as it is fundamentally no longer the same algorithm.

Second, all algorithms are based upon statistical analysis of data and the first law of statistics is no predictive model can approach 100% certainty. We don't have crystal balls, and thus cannot perfectly predict what will happen in the future regardless of data quality, sample size, and methodological sophistication.

The real value of a market predictive algorithm is not in telling me that the markets are trending up on average during a bull market and down during a bear market, but when those trends will flip - and more importantly what specifically is causing the reversal. There are no models that have been able to do this because no two major market reversals happen in the exact same way. Sure some algorithms get it right sometimes, and others other times, but not one gets it right ALL the time. An algorithm like you are describing seemingly can predict "black swans."

Now if there are algorithms that you know of which do please post them as well as their underlying data so that we may all independently evaluate them and hopefully grow predictably rich. I admit that I am not a finance guru, but a mere statistician so there may be some new technique I am not aware of.

The value of a automated trading algorithm is in signal generation with high corresponding profit factors. A distant second is overall accuracy. No one cares about getting it right ALL the time. Further, predicting black swans is of little interest. Most successful Algos are intra-day traders or micro-trend traders.

Yes, hedge funds with Algos that beat the market exist. There are many. No one that has them is going to share what underlying data is used, or how it is used.

The point is that perpetuating the idea that markets cannot be timed or beaten is incorrect.
aunuwyn08
AG
Tell Bear Sterns, Lehman Brothers, Merrill Lynch, and a number of other trading firms that didn't go under in 2008/2009 but were severely imperiled that finding "black swans" is of little interest.

No one has a model that can time the market. No one. Especially those who build their models on purely financial, macroeconomic, or microeconomic indicators. A model is better than no model on average so returns can slightly outpace the market, but that doesn't mean the model is precise or useful. It just means the rest of the market is using less information to make decisions. However, in the long run everything converges to the mean.
claym711
AG
You're simply reciting misnomers based on anecdotal experience as if it were fact. Timing and predicting the market is possible and occurs every single day. Generating 60-80% ROI/yr on AUM is possible and is occurring, and at a sustained rate.
Harkrider 93
AG
So a place that starts with $100mm would have $1.4b in five years with no other money coming in?
claym711
AG
Theoretically, yes, but very very few with an algo driven fund capable of those returns allow their fund to get that large. There are an obvious few like Ren Tech, but even someone that large reserves their best app for their owners and employees.
aunuwyn08
AG
Look, I'm obviously not going to persuade you or others that think like you on this topic even though I know a lot about sophisticated statistical modeling because I do it on a daily basis since I am a statistician.

Two points though, first misnomer means something is mislabeled - misconception is the correct word you are looking for. Second, you can accuse me of just using anecdotal evidence, but that is just "the pot calling the kettle black" because you have only provided anecdotal claims to make your point as well. I asked for a model with data to demonstrate it and you didn't provide one. On the other hand I linked everyone a story from a respected economic modeler making the exact same argument that I do, and I could provide a lot more technical studies affirming this point.

Frankly, I really hope to convince some of you here not to take supposed market performance claims at their word just because they are based on technical analysis or quantitative models. There is a large degree of selection bias present in discussing correct market predictions - you're very unlikely to hear from the people who model and get it wrong but will always hear from the people who happen to be right. However, even these people will eventually be wrong, but on average quantitative modeling gives them an information advantage that will outperform the median investor. 99.999% of these firms and models will also woefully fail to predict the next major downturn or crash, and they will lose just like everyone else will. The easiest thing to predict in the market is whether or not the market will be up or down at the end of the day - most models can only do this at a 60-70% clip.

So why might this be the case? In contrast to everything you have learned in business or some economics courses the market is fundamentally not rational because people are not rational. The human element is interwoven into market performance, and human behavior is impossible to predict. If you would like some really interesting examples of this to read up on the electoral timing and economic policy literature. Here is a link to a pretty good summary article of that body of work. https://experts.umich.edu/en/publications/electoral-and-partisan-cycles-in-economic-policies-and-outcomes

There is also a great trove of information in psychology, economics, and political psychology about how biological limitations to human cognitive function alter decision-making beyond the traditional homo economicus representation of the markets. This book provides an excellent summary of that information. https://www.amazon.com/Rationalizing-Cambridge-Studies-Political-Psychology/dp/052117614X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508506622&sr=8-1&keywords=the+rationalizing+voter
claym711
AG
First, obviously you know that no one that has it is going to give you their successful IP to study. Second and more importantly, you seem to have some experience witnessing automated trading that predicts intraday direction 60-70% of the time. I'm not sure on what we disagree at this point.

I'm curious - you seem well studied on these topics - what are you doing for a living right now? What's your stats/math background?
Seanzy2012
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

SlackerAg said:

I think 2018 could burst the underfunded pension bubble & rattle the markets:
Quote:

Local governments often give retired police officers, firefighters, teachers, and other workers a pension plus healthcare benefits... Starting in 2018, the Governmental Accounting Standards Boardthe source of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) for state and local governmentswill force officials to record healthcare liabilities on their balance sheets.
Why the Pension Storm Will Finally Come to Light in 2018

Pensions are doing the same as seniors, can't get any yield right now so they are ratcheting up their equity exposures.
As someone in this space, I can say that this is scary true The no yield out there for the pension part.

The correction will come at some point and that is all that anyone can actually say about it and it still be true. There are some that get lucky, but those guys call it every year. The broken clock is right twice a day thing.

I do hold out hope for the market long term. One thing that is different now is that technology has begun to streamline things. When the correction does come, I think it'll be from some sort of social media scare. Then when large cap earnings come out it'll recover quickly.

Depending on how into conspiracies you are, the new executives need to get their stock options in at lower prices. The powers at be will likely cause some sort of correction for them to do so at some point ha.
Seanzy2012
AG
canagian said:

some great quotes:
  • "Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections, or trying to anticipate corrections, than has been lost in corrections themselves."
  • "I can't recall ever once having seen the name of a market timer on Forbes' annual list of the richest people in the world. If it were truly possible to predict corrections, you'd think somebody would have made billions by doing it."
  • "In the financial markets, hindsight is forever 20/20, but foresight is legally blind. And thus, for most investors, market timing is a practical and emotional impossibility."
  • "The idea that a bell rings to signal when investors should get into or out of the stock market is simply not credible. After nearly fifty years in this business, I do not know of anybody who has done it successfully and consistently. I don't even know anybody who knows anybody who has done it successfully and consistently. Yet market timing appears to be increasingly embraced by mutual fund investors and the professional managers of fund portfolios alike."

and finally:
  • "The average investor's return is significantly lower than market indices due primarily to market timing."

but of course everyone on here is an above-average investor...

Great post.
Win At Life
AG
Based on history, what does the stock market do after the Fed holds interest rates near zero for 15 years straight?
Post removed:
by user
exp
AG
claym711 said:

You're simply reciting misnomers based on anecdotal experience as if it were fact. Timing and predicting the market is possible and occurs every single day. Generating 60-80% ROI/yr on AUM is possible and is occurring, and at a sustained rate.

People gamble and win in Vegas every day too. The existence of winners (and losers) is a statistical certainty but does nothing to further your argument that their underlying strategy is sound. If a million hedge funds Implement a million different market timing algorithms, probably half will beat the market in a given year. Some will beat it soundly. An equivalent number will underperform equally and you'll never hear about it. About half of these guys will repeat the feat in year two.

My point is that saying "market timing is possible and is happening successfully every day" is not a valid argument for the statistical viability of trying to time the market. It's just evidence of the statistical certainty I will lovingly refer to as "blind luck".
exp
AG
To answer the OP, I was highly interested in technical analysis in college and believed I could find something in the numbers to give me an edge. Timing in the short term vs long term are obviously different discussions but my conclusion was the same.

I ultimately came to the conclusion that trying to time the market is a fools errand. There are some interesting numbers out there that I wouldn't know how to find today but basically 80% of the market's gains over the last 50 years have occurred on very few actual calendar days, and if you were sitting in the sideline when those days happened you were screwed... Missed your shot. The market is at an all time high today but could increase another 5% tomorrow. You just don't know.

Yes the world runs in cycles and you would probably be correct to guess that the market will fall well below 20k again in your lifetime. But you could have made a similar correction prediction at 16k, 18k, 20k... And if you'd done that you'd have missed out on the last couple years.

I believe there will be a downturn but I believe my time is better spent earning new money than trying to time the market with my existing money. Let it ride man.

Just one little opinion from one little market participant.
claym711
AG
exp said:

claym711 said:

People gamble and win in Vegas every day too. The existence of winners (and losers) is a statistical certainty but does nothing to further your argument that their underlying strategy is sound. If a million hedge funds Implement a million different market timing algorithms, probably half will beat the market in a given year. Some will beat it soundly. An equivalent number will underperform equally and you'll never hear about it. About half of these guys will repeat the feat in year two.

My point is that saying "market timing is possible and is happening successfully every day" is not a valid argument for the statistical viability of trying to time the market. It's just evidence of the statistical certainty I will lovingly refer to as "blind luck".

That's a silly argument. While I agree that a possibility becomes a probability given enough time and tests, money is not infinite, nor is the amount of time a hedge has to produce a profit. Quant algos are not based on blind luck, and neither is their subsequent success lucky. I know first hand how successful they are.
exp
AG
Then quit sitting here telling us how great they are and go make your fortune!

"You've seen it and know first hand how successful they are" does nothing for me unless you want to provide more detail and context. But hey man, we're allowed to disagree!
claym711
AG
Ah sorry, enjoy your bubble.
Pelayo
AG
aunuwyn08 said:

Look, I'm obviously not going to persuade you or others that think like you on this topic even though I know a lot about sophisticated statistical modeling because I do it on a daily basis since I am a statistician.

Two points though, first misnomer means something is mislabeled - misconception is the correct word you are looking for. Second, you can accuse me of just using anecdotal evidence, but that is just "the pot calling the kettle black" because you have only provided anecdotal claims to make your point as well. I asked for a model with data to demonstrate it and you didn't provide one. On the other hand I linked everyone a story from a respected economic modeler making the exact same argument that I do, and I could provide a lot more technical studies affirming this point.

Frankly, I really hope to convince some of you here not to take supposed market performance claims at their word just because they are based on technical analysis or quantitative models. There is a large degree of selection bias present in discussing correct market predictions - you're very unlikely to hear from the people who model and get it wrong but will always hear from the people who happen to be right. However, even these people will eventually be wrong, but on average quantitative modeling gives them an information advantage that will outperform the median investor. 99.999% of these firms and models will also woefully fail to predict the next major downturn or crash, and they will lose just like everyone else will. The easiest thing to predict in the market is whether or not the market will be up or down at the end of the day - most models can only do this at a 60-70% clip.

So why might this be the case? In contrast to everything you have learned in business or some economics courses the market is fundamentally not rational because people are not rational. The human element is interwoven into market performance, and human behavior is impossible to predict. If you would like some really interesting examples of this to read up on the electoral timing and economic policy literature. Here is a link to a pretty good summary article of that body of work. https://experts.umich.edu/en/publications/electoral-and-partisan-cycles-in-economic-policies-and-outcomes

There is also a great trove of information in psychology, economics, and political psychology about how biological limitations to human cognitive function alter decision-making beyond the traditional homo economicus representation of the markets. This book provides an excellent summary of that information. https://www.amazon.com/Rationalizing-Cambridge-Studies-Political-Psychology/dp/052117614X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508506622&sr=8-1&keywords=the+rationalizing+voter
I agree with you then you lost me here. When you say people are not rational, do you just mean it in the macro sense on how the market behaves?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aunuwyn08
AG
Both actually.
Pelayo
AG
aunuwyn08 said:

Both actually.
so inidividuals are not rational actors?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Cancelled
AG
WHy even worry about timing it if you're still years away from retirement? Just keep buying during the downturn. Damned near every stock will come back and even higher within 2-3 years.
aunuwyn08
AG
Cognitive, economic, political, and social research shows that individuals do not act perfectly rational, no.

At best, some people act boundedly rational in certain contexts, but then act irrationally in other situations.
Pelayo
AG
aunuwyn08 said:

Cognitive, economic, political, and social research shows that individuals do not act perfectly rational, no.

At best, some people act boundedly rational in certain contexts, but then act irrationally in other situations.
Humans are mostly rational actors. Perfectly? no.

We fall in and out of love, go through midlife crises, after all, for example.

As for markets, they are not driven by animal spirits.
aunuwyn08
AG
I'm using the phrase perfectly rational to distinguish semi rational from completely rational behavior. If you want to amend my comment above replace "not rational" with not perfectly rational.

Even if humans act rationally in 90% of circumstances all the time it still results in the issues I raised. I'm just trying to be precise about what I am saying, and am speaking with my researcher hat on.
Pelayo
AG
aunuwyn08 said:

I'm using the phrase perfectly rational to distinguish semi rational from completely rational behavior. If you want to amend my comment above replace "not rational" with not perfectly rational. .
I think you have to

Quote:

Even if humans act rationally in 90% of circumstances all the time it still results in the issues I raised. I'm just trying to be precise about what I am saying, and am speaking with my researcher hat on
I'd agree with that, I'd go farther and say 97%

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.