Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Federal employee tax question

893 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Seven Costanza
TG15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As a federal employee I get to claim residency in Texas, even though I work in California. My wife is not a federal employee, but she is accompanying me on my tour.. Will she be exempt from state tax on income she earns in CA?
libertyag
AG
State tax will apply to any income earned in California.
Dirk Diggler
AG
I am active duty military and my wife was exempt from paying the state when we lived in Georgia last year. I believe that only applies to active military spouses not federal employees.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901516-military-spouses-and-state-taxes
TG15
AG
Awesome! This is my situation, thanks for the info.
LOYAL AG
AG
TG15 said:

Awesome! This is my situation, thanks for the info.

That isn't you're situation. Georgia and California aren't the same state. Few states are as aggressive as California when it comes to stealing your money. It won't surprise me if California tries to tax every penny both of you earn in their state. Best to visit with a CPA while you're there.
Seven Costanza
AG
Google "military spouse working in California". From the 30 seconds I spent reading about it, it appears that your wife will not have to pay California income taxes.

"Income of a military servicemember's nonmilitary spouse
for services performed in California is not California source income subject to state tax if the spouse is in California to be with the servicemember serving in compliance with military orders, and the servicemember and spouse have the same domicile in a state other than California "
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.