Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Auto Insurance for Teen Driver

1,604 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggiebq03+
ags4rocks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Question do you have to put them on your insurance? Seems like when I was that age, my parents didn't add me to policy till i had my own car. I have cars all insured but does the driver have to be insured as well? Thoughts advice....
DadAG10
If your teen driver runs over a 10 year old child in the neighborhood do you want insurance to cover it?
Shiner Bock
AG
you have to declare all drivers and automobiles on all policies from the same residence here in Oklahoma, thus becomes one policy per residence.

In fact to remove a driver from the policy requires proof of a new policy listed at a different address for that driver

Best tip I have is to be sure you have a $1 mil umbrella policy if there is a teen driver in the equation. Hell its cheap enough everyone should have an umbrella.
ags4rocks
Thanks Shiner.
ags4rocks
Thanks for your well thought out advice and I pray that never happens. As I said cars are FULLY insured so it wouldn't matter who is driving them. My insurance doesn't dictate that they only insure my cars if I am driving. She doesn't drive all the time and when she does it is not more than 10 mi from house. Let me know when you have some real information. Thanks!
Shiner Bock
AG
sonar99 said:

Let me know when you have some real information. Thanks!
Reloadags1998
AG
If they are are in your household and have access to your vehicles, you are required to add them as a driver....period. Not doing so is a material misrepresentation of your risk to the insurance carrier and can be used to decline a potential claim. Do you want to know you are insured or hope you are insured?
DadAG10
sonar99 said:

Thanks for your well thought out advice and I pray that never happens. As I said cars are FULLY insured so it wouldn't matter who is driving them. My insurance doesn't dictate that they only insure my cars if I am driving. She doesn't drive all the time and when she does it is not more than 10 mi from house. Let me know when you have some real information. Thanks!
Always amuses me when someone asks for advice, then ignores or fights it when they get some because it isn't what they wanted to hear.

If you know your cars are FULLY insured and you don't have to state who drives them, then why did you ask?

So are you interpreting the language in the policy of who is and who isn't covered?

There are carriers who specifically exclude any driver that is not listed on the policy.

Ask your company/agent if your daughter is covered and that you don't intend to pay for her to ever drive but expect them to cover her if she has an accident. Let us know how that works out.

The Wonderer
AG
Most policies I know of require you to state the drivers on the policy that will be driving the vehicles if they do not have a separate vehicle policy of their own. The safest thing would be to list the driver and get the $1M umbrella. She gets into an accident and, god forbid, injures or kills someone and your insurance declines coverage, you are so gonna be f'd in the a.
NTXAggie14
AG
I work in Auto Claims and typically like mentioned above, we have the potential to deny coverage if you knowingly excluded a driver from the policy. As a matter of fact I have denied several claims due to excluded and non listed drivers. The circumstances were different but please don't be that dad that skimps out to save a couple bucks. It is better to be safe than sorry in the long run. My .02 would be to add the teen driver and get an umbrella policy.
rlb28
AG
If she is a household member she needs to be listed as a driver. I met with a insurance company rep today and he said undisclosed drivers have become the single worst claim problem in the industry today. A lot of these companies are thinking long and hard about denying claims.

"States allow insurance companies to mandate policyholders divulge all licensed household drivers so that the insurers can accurately calculate its risk and then the premium for the household. If the parents fail to inform their car insurance company about their teenage son/daughter, this could be construed as material misrepresentation, a form of insurance fraud.

Misrepresenting who drives your cars or who lives in your household can result in the insurance company being able to deny claims and/or cancel the policy."
DadAG10
Know of a situation where a policyholder called to add a 17 year old son. The company ordered driving reports which showed the son was licensed a full year prior. The carrier looked at the policy history which showed a 3rd vehicle being added the same week the child was originally licensed. The carrier added the son retroactively to the date licensed and is billing for the whole past year, around $2,000.

helloag99
DadAG10 said:

Know of a situation where a policyholder called to add a 17 year old son. The company ordered driving reports which showed the son was licensed a full year prior. The carrier looked at the policy history which showed a 3rd vehicle being added the same week the child was originally licensed. The carrier added the son retroactively to the date licensed and is billing for the whole past year, around $2,000.

OMG $2k
aggiebq03+
DadAG10 said:

I'd just switch carriers. They would have denied a claim if it happened in they non-covered time period, so why would anyone retroactively pay for the coverage?

But yeah OP, pay for the coverage you need. Otherwise pay the piper when he comes calling.
rlb28
AG
aggiebq03+ said:

DadAG10 said:

I'd just switch carriers. They would have denied a claim if it happened in they non-covered time period, so why would anyone retroactively pay for the coverage?

But yeah OP, pay for the coverage you need. Otherwise pay the piper when he comes calling.

Some companies might send you to collections
Pepper Brooks
AG
Get ready to have them mess with your credit when you don't pay.
aggiebq03+
BoilerAg10 said:

Get ready to have them mess with your credit when you don't pay.

So first off, I'd never not claim all drivers as should happen.

Second, luckily people can mess with my credit all they want now and I don't have to care.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.