Business & Investing
Sponsored by

What should my Vangaurd ETF mix look like for a 20-30 year time horizon?

1,288 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Beerosch
Aggie_Outlaw
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know it will change over time, but at this point....

If I'm 20-30 years from retirement, what would you recommend my ETF portfolio look like? I'd like to keep it to Vanguard low fee index funds.

This is in a post tax investment account. Outside of my maxed out 401K. I've got the emergency fund, kids college fund, etc all taken care of.

This is purely for retirement and will not need to be accessed.
TwoMarksHand
AG
In my taxable account I have VTSAX and VXUS. VXUS is going to be switched to VTIAX once it reaches the 10k mark.
I'm not saying that is what you should do, I'm just saying what I have.
Aggie_Outlaw
AG
TwoMarksHand said:

In my taxable account I have VTSAX and VXUS. VXUS is going to be switched to VTIAX once it reaches the 10k mark.
What's the advantage of VTIAX over VXUS?

Why'd you pick VTSAX over VTI?

Thanks.
John Maplethorpe
AG
$10K is the minimum for most admiral funds. Lower management fees. Guessing that's it.
Donald Trump is a protectionist like many other politicians, save that he unfurls his vast economic ignorance more fully and more proudly than do more seasoned politicians.
aggiebq03+
For buy and hold I generally like the advice given here. There are also links with the research behind why the asset classes are selected, and how the returns and standard deviations change with different bond allocations.

http://paulmerriman.com/vanguard-tax-deferred-etf-portfolios/

I have the mutual funds rather than ETFs, not sure if one has an advantage over the other for long term investing.
TwoMarksHand
AG
Aggie_Outlaw said:

TwoMarksHand said:

What's the advantage of VTIAX over VXUS?

Why'd you pick VTSAX over VTI?

Thanks.

Well for one, I think Vanguard will automatically make your 10k+ VTI turn into VTSAX.

But more importantly, I can buy fractions of shares of VTSAX since it's technically a mutual fund. But for a practical purposes there is no difference between the two.
Beerosch
AG
I have 2/3 VTSAX and 1/3 VTIAX for my Equity Funds that are going to be long term horizon (20 - 30 years like in the OP)

I have VCORX, VIPSX, & VBILX split evenly in thirds for my Bonds. I got tired of having it sit in savings earning nothing. This is money I see myself using to buy a house in the next few years once I hopefully settle down somewhere.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.