Business & Investing
Sponsored by

DFW residents

2,318 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by leoj
leoj
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I will probably post this on the jobs board later but I post here the most and figured this may get more eyes.

As I posted before, I'm looking to switch career paths after 7 years of Purchasing/Supply Chain into Finance. I'm taking the GMAT at the end of this month and trying to apply to get my Masters in Finance at UTD starting spring 2018.

That being said, I'm looking for any kind of job opportunities closer to home in Richardson, so Plano, Allen, Dallas, etc. I'm looking for anything that is more financially based, I know an entry level FP&A job without a degree or experience may be a pipe dream, but as long as it's a good company I'm a quick learner and am open to anything that would come up.

If anyone has any leads or advice I would appreciate it.
leoj
AG
Also if anyone would be willing to take a look at my resume and cover letter that I've been sending out I would appreciate that as well. Not having any luck even getting called in for interviews when using the job site applications.

Going to try and work on LinkedIn networking and going to the Aggie Round Table here to work those angles.
ChoppinDs40
AG
I would think getting that job before the masters will be tough. May want to wait until grad school career fairs start or you're at least enrolled.

Furlock Bones
AG
fanatic is right. you will be most marketable towards the end of your MBA program. that's when you want to make the switch.
leoj
AG
Understood, thank you. Only problem is that I am starting to hate my job. Guess I will keep my eye out and suck it up. Thanks for the advice.
ChoppinDs40
AG
either weekend MBA, nights, or stop working and go full-time.

I will say, many employers exclusively recruit out of the full-time MBA programs and don't want to deal with the normal every day folk that have to work for a living.

I say that because I work with Kellogg, Harvard, Wharton, Penn and multiple SMU MBAs. They were all from silver-spoon families and that's the way the big-time MBA programs operate.
leoj
AG
Sorry not doing MBA, will be pursuing a degree in finance.

Trying to get into anything analyst/finance/real estate/banking at the moment, I've done and learned as much as I can in my current position and want out of the industry and to be able to challenge myself.

Also the only way I could afford to do the school full time is if we moved in with the in laws, not sure it's an option.
ChoppinDs40
AG
FP&A analyst? You'll get bored of that in about 6 months.

By banking do you mean investment banking? If so, don't get a finance masters, get an MBA. Also, be prepared to either work equity research for a few years or make some great connections.
capital markets
AG
In your situation an MBA will almost certainly give you better career options than a MS finance. Just make sure you go to a decent program.
leoj
AG
Yes FP&A. Why would I get bored?

I could definitely apply to their MBA program, I believe they offer a focus in finance.
ChoppinDs40
AG
because FP&A entry level is just working in excel spreadsheets for months on end, especially at a decent sized business.
leoj
AG
Thanks fanatic. I'll take a look again at the MBA options available and consider going that route.
chris1515
AG
AggieFanatic09 said:

because FP&A entry level is just working in excel spreadsheets for months on end, especially at a decent sized business.

FP&A is a good way to learn a lot about a business and hone a lot of skills...but don't make it a career. It's a thankless beating of a job. I recognized that a long time ago and am so much better off for it.
leoj
AG
Yeah, it's not something that I would want to do for the rest of my life, or even very long.

I made a 690 on the GMAT and just submitted my application to UTD to enroll in their masters finance program. Still looking for other job opportunities up here as well.

Had someone tell me I should try the tu MBA program here in Dallas, not sure if the investment of 20k per semester is worth it or what I would end up doing with it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.