Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Industrial hemp

3,553 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by wheelskjm
wheelskjm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone on this board involved on any level in this industry?
Farming
Processing
Distribution
Investing
Etc

Our government affairs council has a lot of discussion on the topic and our state senator, Don Coram has his own farm, and they're building a $150M fiber processing facility in Nucla, Co, when the biomass is there to support it.

The numbers I hear from industry insiders are eye-popping and demand is vastly outpacing supply, worldwide.

1. Are you involved at all in any stage of industrial hemp (0.3% thc at time of harvest)?

2. What are your thought on hemp in these areas:
2a. Biofuel (hemp wastes)
2b. Fiber (paper/plastics/textiles)
2c. Medicine/cosmetics/
2d. Construction
2e. Food
2f. Animal feed
2g. Recreation (High CBD smokable hemp, quitting tobacco/cigarettes)

3. What risks are you aware of for FDA approved quality hemp?
wheelskjm
AG
Welp, sounds like this board is as on top of this industry as cryptocurrency.

Cheers.
SWCBonfire
AG
Why would we have extensive experience with a crop that is illegal in the state with processing facilities 2 states away?

Hemp is a neat fiber with some niche uses (like cores of wire ropes, etc.), but cotton is infinitely more practical for the large # of acres grown in TX, has no restriction on use, local processing facilities, creates cattle feed and edible oil byproducts with established value and markets, and stoners don't try to smoke it.
wheelskjm
AG
"Twenty-nine states, the District of Columbia, Guam and Puerto Rico now allow for comprehensive public medical marijuana and cannabis programs, according to the National Council of State Legislatures. Texas is one of 17 states to pass a law allowing for the use of "low THC, high CBD" products for medical reasons in limited situations."

CBD market is expected to be $1-3BB by 2020 (700% growth from today).

Hemp market expected to grow to $100B market by 2020.

With this kind of growth/potential just don't know why others, especially from an Agriculture college, aren't following along. Maybe this is an eye opener for people, was for me.
libertyag
AG
wheelskjm said:

Welp, sounds like this board is as on top of this industry as cryptocurrency.

Cheers.
Just allows you to control more of the product. Good luck. If you buy another Tundra from it, report back!
GarlandAg2012
AG
I've always heard hemp was a great product for many uses that was squashed by other agricultural lobbying (I assume cotton?) long ago. Interested to see what happens but don't have any investment. Note that this is from my friends who are pretty into the cannabis legalization so they are obviously biased.
libertyag
AG
Some time ago, there were several meetings involving some landholders in my area who had many thousands of acres that were no longer being farmed in rice or soybeans. They met to consider the growing of kenaf (at least that is my recollection of what it was). I had a client with around 20,000 acres and he was part of this group as well. Nobody pulled the trigger on it and nobody has since.
wheelskjm
AG
in tx?

If/when it opens up for industrial growing in texas might be a good discussion to bring back up.
redsox34
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

I've always heard hemp was a great product for many uses that was squashed by other agricultural lobbying (I assume cotton?) long ago. Interested to see what happens but don't have any investment. Note that this is from my friends who are pretty into the cannabis legalization so they are obviously biased.

I've always heard this too. I think the paper industry was one, as well.
libertyag
AG
wheelskjm said:

in tx?

If/when it opens up for industrial growing in texas might be a good discussion to bring back up.
Yes, this was in southeast Texas. I do not know some in the group of landowners who were discussing this, but I do know many of them. Most all of them have made huge fortunes in oil and gas royalties due to drilling after 3D seismic was run in this area, and more than a few made some good money due to pipeline easements. I do not think any, given their ages and these other sources of income, would want to get back into growing any crop.
wheelskjm
AG
http://www.journal-advocate.com/business/sterling-agriculture/ci_31299740/growing-pains-industrial-hemp-industry

Good read.
wheelskjm
AG
From hemp, Inc email this morning:
Quote:

"In the upcoming Hemp University educational symposium on September 30, 2017, Dr. Bruck will be speaking on the human pharmacology of cannabinoids and insects and diseases from the 2017 growing season. Perlowin will be speaking on bringing back the small family farm to the American landscape by using an economic approach of a farmer being able to earn $500,000 a year with growing and cloning hemp. There will be many more speakers with a main focus of this educational symposium being CBDs from the industrial hemp plant."
libertyag
AG
With the name Hemp Inc, I would suspect they are going to err on the side of encouraging people to grow hemp, though I just can't buy the small family farmer making $500,000 a year. If true, there should be a rather long line of those ready to take the plunge, but I take it there aren't and likely won't be.

Does the Perlowin guy still have SEC fraud charges pending against him or has that been cleared up?
wheelskjm
AG
no idea, but yes hemp inc is definitely a biased source of information but that doesn't make anything inaccurate.

The numbers I've run and been given from people like the state senator show a 10 acre plot producing ~$3-6M (based on lbs/plant and quality) for high CBD hemp and processing into CBD oil, FDA allows this product to be sold anywhere in the states and the groups I've spoken to already have all of their product sold before it is planted, assuming it passes the .3% thc requirement on testing by the colorado ag dept.

Harvest is about to start happening, so this will be a first for me. should be 'fun' or at least a learning experience.

(Edit: changed to .3% )
libertyag
AG
wheelskjm said:

no idea, but yes hemp inc is definitely a biased source of information but that doesn't make anything inaccurate.

The numbers I've run and been given from people like the state senator show a 10 acre plot producing ~$3-6M (based on lbs/plant and quality) for high CBD hemp and processing into CBD oil, FDA allows this product to be sold anywhere in the states and the groups I've spoken to already have all of their product sold before it is planted, assuming it passes the .03% thc requirement on testing by the colorado ag dept.

Harvest is about to start happening, so this will be a first for me. should be 'fun' or at least a learning experience.
Who came up with the $3M to $6M off a 10 acre plot? I think they need to check their calculator and try again. And I think it is .3% and not .03%.
wheelskjm
AG
Yes .3%, technically under .4% (.09% Margin of error) that was a typo.
wheelskjm
AG
Probably more info than necessary to share.

Unbelievable numbers, regardless of accuracy.
Proc92
Can you cut it and round bale it like hay and sell lt like that?
libertyag
AG
lol, well a man could get filthy rich with one acre if those numbers are to be believed. Maybe someone on here will plant 10 acres and find out. Keep us posted as to how it goes.
wheelskjm
AG
https://www.asme.org/engineering-topics/articles/energy/hemp-carbon-makes-supercapacitors-superfast

Another cool thing. Graphene-like substance at $500/ton versus graphene at $1000/gram.

Yes you can bale it like hay,

It also serves as a fantastic rotation crop.
wheelskjm
AG

Proc92
That is very interesting. Keep up with the info flow here please.
wheelskjm
AG
Hemp Adobe (making hempcrete) won a jump start program in Montrose to process hemp waste into hemp crete, adding another opportunity to profit for farms in our area.

From our economic development council:
Quote:

According to the Colorado Department of Agriculture, (CDA), in 2014 there were a total of 252 registrations covering 1,811 acres and 253,000 sq. ft. of indoor production. The majority of these registrants did not plant, but were looking for a historical certificate for the first year of legalized hemp production in Colorado.

In 2015 the CDA reported 166 registrants including three universities, who held a total of 301 registrations covering 3,657 acres of outside production and an additional 570,980 sq. ft. of indoor production. Of those 18 were
R&D registrations.

In 2016 the CDA reported 424 registrations held by 312 registrants covering 8,988 acres of outdoor production and 1.36 million sq. ft. of indoor production. There were five universities participating in the program. There has been huge growth in the industry and that growth is expected to continue.

We would like to see Montrose County and the Uncompahgre Valley be opened up to hemp production. There are a lot of checks and balances, hoops to go through and issues to address. The effort will pay off with an increase in income for our agriculture producers as well as the jobs created in the processing and production of hemp products.

We have a really nice microclimate out here and the industry is growing pretty rapidly across the state.

Libertyag, why you so antagonistic all the time?
Proc92
What is the best source of info on development of the industrial hemp industry/legality in Texas?
wheelskjm
AG
Not sure where to point you.
https://www.google.com/amp/blog.tenthamendmentcenter.com/2017/03/texas-bill-would-legalize-industrial-hemp-foundation-to-nullify-federal-prohibition/amp/

Or

http://txcann.com/hemp-bill-passes-texas-committee-unanimously/

Maybe reach out to the state politicians in this article.
Harry Stone
AG
Wheels, let me know when you have some. Would like to buy locally for research, medical and cosmetic purposes.
wheelskjm
AG
My cohorts already have some products lined up for all 3 of those categories but if you're serious, (got your email, looking forward to working together)
libertyag
AG
wheelskjm said:

Hemp Adobe (making hempcrete) won a jump start program in Montrose to process hemp waste into hemp crete, adding another opportunity to profit for farms in our area.

From our economic development council:
Quote:

According to the Colorado Department of Agriculture, (CDA), in 2014 there were a total of 252 registrations covering 1,811 acres and 253,000 sq. ft. of indoor production. The majority of these registrants did not plant, but were looking for a historical certificate for the first year of legalized hemp production in Colorado.

In 2015 the CDA reported 166 registrants including three universities, who held a total of 301 registrations covering 3,657 acres of outside production and an additional 570,980 sq. ft. of indoor production. Of those 18 were
R&D registrations.

In 2016 the CDA reported 424 registrations held by 312 registrants covering 8,988 acres of outdoor production and 1.36 million sq. ft. of indoor production. There were five universities participating in the program. There has been huge growth in the industry and that growth is expected to continue.

We would like to see Montrose County and the Uncompahgre Valley be opened up to hemp production. There are a lot of checks and balances, hoops to go through and issues to address. The effort will pay off with an increase in income for our agriculture producers as well as the jobs created in the processing and production of hemp products.

We have a really nice microclimate out here and the industry is growing pretty rapidly across the state.

Libertyag, why you so antagonistic all the time?
I'm not, but I don't buy into everything like someone selling Mary Kay products. One of the people who has you believing is under investigation by the SEC for fraud. And nobody is going to make $3M to $6M off of a 10 acre plot. It isn't going to happen.

But you are a believer, apparently based on stuff put out by those who feel as you do, biased folks, so get your 10 acres and get with it. What is holding you back?
wheelskjm
AG
[Deleted]
libertyag
AG
lol, I don't think I said bitcoin was a ponzi scheme. But with the numbers you are posting on hemp, you are going to be a multimillionaire. In a year! Buying a Tundra and getting landscaping will be such small potatoes. You have an inherent need to let us know how well you are doing in your various ventures, whether real or imagined only you know. Save a little for taxes though!
wheelskjm
AG
I overshare, I recognize that. I'm excited my crypto will pay for my equity in a hemp business. I hoped that someone would point me to pitfalls I wasn't looking at in the hemp industry before I made the leap, I haven't found negating information, yet.

The most negative thing I've heard is that an unrelated company in the industry I subscribed to for news/etc, hemp,inc, has the sec after the ceo. Therefore, mary kay.

Let's just ignore each other going forward.
Proc92
Have you posted in the outdoor forum? Might get some feedback from those in ag business.
Proc92
I would like to learn more about hemp as a crop worth growing. Hard to weed out the propaganda on both sides. Not at all interested in pot as a intoxicant, but hemp sounds like a crop that has some value.
Lone Stranger
It will be interesting to watch if an initial organized, larger scale processor can figure out what are the primary vs the secondary products and where and how to sell them and what will happen to prices once demand is met and supply eventually exceeds it.

IF the production profit potentials are anywhere close to the theoretical numbers you would expect lots of land to be converted quickly all across the plains and midwest to get in on the action (as is always the case with ag commodities). So if somoene is successful with this as a processor, the impeding market saturation inherent with most ag commodities will probably happen quickly. It doesn't take many people making money in one location to cause an ag product to become a pure commodity and oversaturate the market quickly if it can be grown in the mid west. Once it is an ag commodity, I would guess you aren't going to sustain the high profit margins growing it and the big money will be in the processing to turn it into value added products.

Much like wind and solar, they were also marketed in their early days as a way for "small" producers to compete with the big boys. In reality the promoters always forget about economies of scale. Lots of small producers aren't really where all the big growth in those markets has come from although in makes the news. With wind the regulations and economies of scale favored large projects with sophisticated structure and financing to optimize marginal costs and marginal returns. Solar is moving that way (utility scale). This commodity would be no different. If "small" producers are making money, larger companies with better economies of scale and access to capital will get into the business and commoditize the market and push the "small" out unless the small folks have some significant comparative advantage. With ag commodities that can be readily grown in many locations of North America that usually isn't the case.

As laws are modified and regulatory impediments are reduced there is probably money to be made in multiple stages from field to final product when the market starts developing and matures. I would want to be in and out before the market matures and it becomes just another commodity that can be produced by anyone that can grow hay, corn, soybeans, wheat, kenaf, etc., etc.. On the production side, that can happen quickly with ag.
wheelskjm
AG
Agreed.

We are definitely benefiting from the barriers to entry at this moment, that will recede over time. When industrial hemp gets classified as >1% thc vs .3%thc that will also increase the supply, ease of farming.

Carving out a strong niche that will sustain despite increased supply is what we're after. High CBD hemp isn't the easiest to farm (right genetics, and as other chemicals like CBDa, CBDg, terpenes, etc are better understood increased demand for those types of plants)...

Currently the US is the highest importer of hemp products, let's change that. We are 60+ years behind the ball on innovation due to propaganda, and that's a travesty.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.