Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Growing a small business?

3,510 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by OutdoorAg
GunRangeGal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I recently started a small business and get most of my business from referrals/word of mouth. I offer in-home pet care/sitting/taxi services. I tend to keep every client I get, and have never had a "one and done" client.

We've set it up right with insurance, bond, llc, separate bank accounts, invoicing, etc. We're working on a professional logo for marketing materials and t-shirts.

I've done flyers, posting on nextdoor, neighborhood Facebook pages, instagram, and Facebook. I'm also on Rover. What else can I be doing to grow this business? Has anybody had success with targeted mailers? I'm thinking of hanging out at dog parks handing out business cards. Does sponsored advertising on Facebook work? Do people still do newspaper ads?

Any advice you have would be helpful!
Obi Wan Ginobili
I can't help you with advertising, but I might be interested in hiring you.

So, you can at least say advertising on TexAgs works.

Please email me. I have some questions! obiwgt@gmail.com
Rebar
AG
For this type of business, targeted facebook ads will probably be your most successful. Flyers at Petco etc and at places (dogpark) where the ideal customer hangs out are cheap and effective. If you have your own Facebook page with pics and video of your facilities, that would be good as well.

With 40,000+ students, I would think there is a large base of potential customers who travel home, weekend getaways etc where you could be the go-to solution. Flyers at pet friendly apartment complexes and an email, Facebook post, etc asking current customers for a referral ("Hi Bill, I am trying to build out my business over the next 90 days with customers that are just like you. Great pets and an owner that is a joy to work with! I am trying to reach (insert demographic) and get at least 10 new clients. Could you help me by (forwarding this email, tagging a friend, etc) who could use my service? I am asking all my new clients how they heard about me, so for everyone who references you, I will give you (insert reward you would give). As a small business trying to grow, I really appreciate you and any potential help you might offer")

Or something like that in your own words. Remember, you never need to "sell", you simply need to talk to people like you would want someone to talk to you. Good luck!
diehard03
Quote:

I recently started a small business and get most of my business from referrals/word of mouth. I offer in-home pet care/sitting/taxi services. I tend to keep every client I get, and have never had a "one and done" client.

This will always be the case for a business like yours. You are welcome to try other avenues, but they are all volume methods with very low hit rates. Your business is very close to child sitting (ie, that's how people who have money and love their pets think of their pets)

I'd know and have good relationships with every vet in the area
GunRangeGal
AG
Message sent!!
Ragoo
AG
do you have a website?
are you on YELP?
Angie's list?
care.com?
GunRangeGal
AG
I'm definitely blessed that my clients are happy to refer their friends to me, but I think I could benefit from being more intentional when asking for referrals. I like to idea of sending out an email asking for them to pass along my information and experiences to other pet owners.

I'm connected with a few animal-based businesses around town. Most vets in the B/CS area have in-house boarding. I have a relationship with another small business owner who has a similar business and she has taught me a lot. She's been wonderful at sending me "overflow" business because I'm the only sitter she trusts.

I've dabbled in Craigslist ads, but that hasn't produced anything. I'm currently working on shareable content for my business Facebook page to reach more people.

Thanks for all the advice... keep it coming!
GunRangeGal
AG
I do own a website a few other domains that direct people to me. I am on Rover.com, which seems to have the most traffic.

I'm not on care.com or Angies list... thanks you!! I'm working on my yelp stuff today.
diehard03
Quote:

I'm connected with a few animal-based businesses around town. Most vets in the B/CS area have in-house boarding.

Don't misunderstand...you want the connection to the vet because it's a trusted authority to would-be clients (ie, like a doctor). Secondly, you aren't competing with them...the person you want wouldn't consider boarding at the vet. Their beloved pet is too good for that.
Ragoo
AG
Are you registered with the BBB?
GunRangeGal
AG
Not currently... I'll have to look into that!
Sling Blade
AG
I highly recommend Facebook and Instagram paid ads. If you'd like advice I can walk you through a process to generate customers.

Ralex @ innotevatefast dot com
MPython43
Yelp! is your best friend. Just googled "college station pet sitter" and Yelp's category is right up top. If you can dominate the category, growth will happen.

I tell you that as someone who started a 1-person home service company 11 years ago, and we have had a 10 year compound annual growth rate of 90%. Almost all of our growth from 3 people to 25ish people in the last 3 years has primarily been driven by Yelp.

If you want to discuss further, shoot me a link to your contact info and I'll reach out as soon as I have a chance.
Matsui
AG
What is your home service company?
sts7049
AG
care.com is probably a good idea. that's how i found the petsitter i used previously.
The Original AG 76
AG
where are you. Might need your service
permabull
AG
GunRangeGal
AG
Yelp just verified my page, so I'm working on that today! I think this will be great! I'm really lucky that my current clients go above and beyond when I ask them for reviews on different sites. I'll send them a link to my yelp page to start collecting reviews. Woking on care.com, too.

Currently it's just me, but I have plans to hire somebody when it grows past a point where I can do it alone. I want to make sure that I've done this long enough to properly train somebody. I have a mentor who owns a similar business who has walked me through different scenarios so I'm not surprised when issues arise. She's been wonderful. Insurance cost goes way up when you hire somebody, so I want to have a pretty heavy client load to keep up with the cost of an employee.

I'm in the B/CS area. I've been here for 11 years! Python and Original AG... you can email me at cassiescaninecare @ yahoo .com.
GunRangeGal
AG
Side note... do people get annoyed with door hangers? The only time I've ever used a door hanger was when I wanted wonton soup and a Chinese menu had been hung on my door that day!
sts7049
AG
i know i do. those things go straight to the trash can.
OutdoorAg
AG
Gary Vaynerchuk............look him up and follow him.
MPython43
GRG - you get my email?
Post removed:
by user
Code Monkey
GunRangeGal, will contact you about your services!
Beckdiesel03
AG
I loathe FB and I hate the locals Moms group I am part of more but good lord I have gotten some wonderful recommendations for different things from that. I'm not in BCS but with the one I am on,once you get several recs you will be loaded down with business. Everyone of the people I've hired has said nothing has been better for their business than the Moms page. Look for a local group and maybe offer some discounted services until you can get business going with them.
ramirez78
The cheapest thing us to create and print a flyer and just them in mailboxes walking down the street. Only costs the price of paper and ink.
Rebar
AG
Define cheap. Cost of raw materials? Sure

Wasting countless hours on horribly inefficient and unproductive activities with an opportunity cost of not doing something with at least a minimum viable track record and response forecast ability? Thinking that might be the most expensive strategy she could employ.
Finding X
+10 for Gary Vaynerchuk

Watch about 10 hours of his videos and then go crush it.
OutdoorAg
AG
Find X said:

+10 for Gary Vaynerchuk

Watch about 10 hours of his videos and then go crush it.

Finally, someone else knows what I'm talking about. Gary knows how to market. There is literally hundreds if not thousands of hours of his content on the internet to view. He has to be the most popular guy most people have never heard of
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.