Business & Investing
Sponsored by

What do you do with old tax docs and financial records?

1,362 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by libertyag
Out in Left Field
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What do you keep? How far back? Where do you keep it?

I figure I'd just load all that kind of stuff onto a cd and just store it somewhere.
TwoMarksHand
AG
You could probably scan everything into pdfs and save them all on a flash drive.
InMyOpinion
TwoMarksHand said:

You could probably scan everything into pdfs and save them all on a flash drive.

This

I haven't had a computer with a cd drive in a couple years now, have a handful of flash drives for storing data
The Collective
AG
I shred tax docs > 10 years and most other items. Keep investing data indefinitely. They are all in the cloud with access information available in my lockbox at bank.
The Wonderer
AG
Scan to flashdrive or cloud. Destroy finc documents older than 7 years if you want.
Bonfire1996
AG
We keep everything up to 7 years. The instant it is over 7 years old, it is completely destroyed.
BigPuma
AG
The IRS can only go back 4 years from date of filing (so 2013 is a closed/closing tax year right now depending on when you file.)

I tell clients if it is over 5 you can chunk it. Unless the IRS can prove or determine fraud and then it doesn't matter.
Stive
AG
Good to know.

Wonder why the prevailing thought is keep 7 years then?
Bonfire1996
AG
Stive said:

Good to know.

Businesses have to answer questions back to 7 years.
The Wonderer
AG
Bonfire 1996 said:

Stive said:

Good to know.

Businesses have to answer questions back to 7 years.
Yep.
libertyag
AG
BigPuma said:

The IRS can only go back 4 years from date of filing (so 2013 is a closed/closing tax year right now depending on when you file.)

I tell clients if it is over 5 you can chunk it. Unless the IRS can prove or determine fraud and then it doesn't matter.
The IRS can go back 3 years, 6 years if you understate your gross income by 25% or more. If the financial records contain anything that is still impacting a return that is open, that needs to be retained. For example, any item being depreciated or anything being carried forward.
libertyag
AG
Stive said:

Good to know.

The statute of limitations varies for different things: income taxes, franchise taxes, sales taxes, payroll records, etc.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.