Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Rental House

7,736 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by GE
tmas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can you make money monthly on 1 rental with the management fees, taxes, etc. Or are you banking on increased property value and/or scaling the investment with other rentals to make money?

I'm looking for alternatives to investing in the stock market.
jaggiemaggie
AG
yes
Diggity
AG
it depends on the property and the financing
Post removed:
by user
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
How much was the house--around 180k? So you put down $36k. If so, you're making 18% cash on cash. Pretty strong.
Harkrider 93
AG
you will get help on the rental's interest and property taxes, as well as, depreciation.
Corps_Ag12
AG
I have a few questions in regards to your unit at the barracks if you don't mind helping me out. Interested in purchasing one as a rental myself.

Corps dot ag12 at gmail dot com
Ag$08
Just don't get caught in the trap that people got into before the 2008 crash. The 18% figure cited above is possible because you're leveraging borrowed cash. If the value of the home you invest in drops, significant home repairs arise, or you run into legal trouble with tenants, you can still easily lose on your investment and then some.

I guess in summary, do not assume it's easy money. There is still risk.
jaggiemaggie
AG
In your opinions, which would be a better investment in BCS, a 3/3 or a 4/4?
IrishTxAggie
AG
I love real estate, but the CS market scares the crap out of me right now with all of these new luxury complexes popping up. Plus, from my understanding, a lot are nowhere near capacity. What does that say for the rental market in CS. Especially for townhomes, duplexes, fourplexes, etc..
Ragoo
AG
ColinAggie said:

I love real estate, but the CS market scares the crap out of me right now with all of these new luxury complexes popping up. Plus, from my understanding, a lot are nowhere near capacity. What does that say for the rental market in CS. Especially for townhomes, duplexes, fourplexes, etc..
i was up that way last weekend and will be heading back tomorrow. a lot of For Lease signs out.
Cyp0111
CS is the last place I would invest. Specifically tertiary property locations.
Harkrider 93
AG
I heated from a leasing company that one of the upper end complexes is 33% leased, so they lowered the rent to $450/mo with all bills paid. I believe there are 700 rooms total in the place that is walking distance to Kyle and Olsen.
Cyp0111
It's over built
JustPanda
AG
CS78
Random Walk said:

CH

CH?
Cyp0111
Calloway House
Ragoo
AG
I suspect Random Walk is a nnichols iteration.
Aggie1205
AG
Harkrider 93 said:

I heated from a leasing company that one of the upper end complexes is 33% leased, so they lowered the rent to $450/mo with all bills paid. I believe there are 700 rooms total in the place that is walking distance to Kyle and Olsen.

Which place?
JustPanda
AG
Cyp0111
Assume it's one of the Calloway properties
Harkrider 93
AG
I didn't ask the name. Just listened to the data being told and decided to wait on buying a rental in CS.
45-70Ag
AG
Wife and I had a house on Meadow View we rented to college students the last eleven years. We recently sold it because I got tired of keeping up with it and wanted to use the money to buy some adjoining land to our place.

Overall, we were pretty lucky. Two of our tenants we had all four years of their time at A&M. We bought the property using money my wife inherited and we more than made our money back but like I said we were lucky with it always being rented out and rented out to decent kids who took care of the place as well.
wcb
AG
Abitaholic said:

Here's some personal info to your question. I was in the same boat - wanted somewhere to park a bit of cash outside of the market.

I bought a 3BR/3BA townhouse in CS this past spring at The Barracks. I put 20% down and my monthly mortgage is right at $1,100; including taxes, insurance. Each tenant pays $550 so I make roughly $550 per month. At some point I'll have maintenance to do so that will hit me but this is better cash flow than I initially expected. I manage it myself.

I'm hopeful I'll also get a tax benefit from the rental property taxes and interest, but I'm not sure exactly how that will play out.
So that means you're paying $1100 / month + being taxed on $1650 income per month. At ~20% that's ~$330 of your $550 profit gone to taxes. Granted you have a few deductions but not enough for me to give it a go.
Premium
AG
Cyp0111 said:

It's over built

Land is a finite resource and land in Texas will not be here forever. Especially BCS... you can only grow so far out before you have to start building up.

The Wonderer
AG
wcb said:

Abitaholic said:

Here's some personal info to your question. I was in the same boat - wanted somewhere to park a bit of cash outside of the market.

I bought a 3BR/3BA townhouse in CS this past spring at The Barracks. I put 20% down and my monthly mortgage is right at $1,100; including taxes, insurance. Each tenant pays $550 so I make roughly $550 per month. At some point I'll have maintenance to do so that will hit me but this is better cash flow than I initially expected. I manage it myself.

I'm hopeful I'll also get a tax benefit from the rental property taxes and interest, but I'm not sure exactly how that will play out.
So that means you're paying $1100 / month + being taxed on $1650 income per month. At ~20% that's ~$330 of your $550 profit gone to taxes. Granted you have a few deductions but not enough for me to give it a go.
Where do you get taxed on revenue and not profit for businesses??
CS78
The Wonderer said:

wcb said:

Might also want to google up on rental property depreciation. Most financed rentals should be turning a tax loss at the end of the year even if you're pocketing decent money each month.

If you're a peon like me making under $100k, the IRS lets you apply $25k of passive real estate losses against that years normal income. Subtract that plus pretax health care and 401k and my AGI usually runs about $10-15k a year. AKA I don't pay jack in income tax and probably never will.
The Wonderer
AG
CS78 said:

The Wonderer said:

wcb said:

Might also want to google up on rental property depreciation. Most financed rentals should be turning a tax loss at the end of the year even if you're pocketing decent money each month.

If you're a peon like me making under $100k, the IRS lets you apply $25k of passive real estate losses against that years normal income. Subtract that plus pretax health care and 401k and my AGI usually runs about $10-15k a year. AKA I don't pay jack in income tax and probably never will.
This was my thought. There are a lot of ways to kill that rental home profit with other advantageous tax techniques.
mtony77
AG
wcb said:

Abitaholic said:

Not at all how the tax breakdown works
Sooner Born
CS78 said:

The Wonderer said:

wcb said:

If you ever go to sell the rental property, you'll have to recapture all of that depreciation unless you do a like-kind exchange.

People forget/don't understand that the depreciation expense is a tax benefit now that becomes a liability when it comes time for sale. Not a big deal if you plan accordingly but it certainly can create some ugly situations if not planned for.
Cancelled
AG
I rented out a house I got in exchange for unpaid legal fees for about 2.5 years. I leveraged the house to buy a commercial lot in a very good area of town that appreciated almost $75k in the first two years.

I used the rent exclusively to repair the dilapidated POS. I grew so very tired of a call every time something broke. I got it released from the mortgage on the commercial lot and I sold it, owner finance, to the tenant for $100 less per month. I stand to make a very nice little profit on it. I also learned a valuable lesson that I will likely never go into the residential rental game again.

I've heard residential is like an alcoholic 1 is too many and 10 ain't enough.
CS78
Sooner Born said:

If you ever go to sell the rental property, you'll have to recapture all of that depreciation unless you do a like-kind exchange.

People forget/don't understand that the depreciation expense is a tax benefit now that becomes a liability when it comes time for sale. Not a big deal if you plan accordingly but it certainly can create some ugly situations if not planned for.
The 10-15 year plan is to reduce the number of properties via 1031 in to less profitable but nicer newer houses in the best areas. Less headache and avoid the tax man. It also resets the depreciation clock to 27.5.

Of course, who knows where politics will take the tax code with time.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

If the value of the home you invest in drops, significant home repairs arise, or you run into legal trouble with tenants, you can still easily lose on your investment and then some.

Just be a former contractor who went to law school and you'll be fine!
bkag9824
AG
I've long wondered exactly how the taxation works for rentals. Is there an easily read breakdown of how it works that still provides good detail?
Sooner Born
Just google it. Tons of resources out there.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.