Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Purchasing land

1,987 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Bitter Old Man
Dr. Horrible
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone have good tips or things to read to start getting educated about purchasing acreage (25-100 acre range)?

I'm interested for myself in the long term, but also have the ability to help out a family member that is more interested in the short term. I've always heard that financing for land is very different than a traditional mortgage, but have no tangible information on that.

Anything worth reading or tips you can give?
CS78
Financing, you'll want to contact capital farm credit or small local banks.
texrover91
AG
What's the use and what's the market?

Are you just looking for advice on buying/owning rural acreage or is there some other aspect to the purchase?

Generally, as CS78 said, small banks and ag credit are helpful.

If you are looking to buy/keep in Ag, even if there is a recreational aspect, you might look at FSA and some of the different FSA loan programs; a small bank will work with FSA to get you approved, similar to an SBA loan.

Do your due diligence with the banks on making a purchase with multiple parties or within a legal entity.

You could see different requirements for down payment etc. if it's a more speculative land purchase, or if you don't intend to build on the property anytime soon.

But, generally, it's not that difficult from a lending perspective to buy land if you're dealing with a bank that does it.

Regardless, the strength of the borrower(s) and the type of project (use) will affect the type of loan, rate, term, and loan structure.

cbr
AG
What part of Texas? Honestly if you have never bought or owned land you need a good farm and ranch realtor. Not just any realtor, someone who lives it. There are county and local issues, fencing and vegetation issues, water and access issues, legal and title issues, location and tax issues, etc. and there is no reading source that covers them all or even gives you enough to spot all the potential issues.

It is true that getting a land loan is different than most house loans because, in part, they are not as heavily regulated/subsidized. Typically you will have higher rates, shorter terms and more $$ down.

Shameless note: my wife is such a farm and ranch realtor, we live on a ranch, and I handle a lot of real estate and oil and gas legal matters.
CowtownAg06
AG
What part of Texas?
Bitter Old Man
AG
I finance land for a living. If you would like to have a conversation, feel free to email me at atxbanker at gmail . com
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.