Business & Investing
Sponsored by

AMD

3,246 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggiedaniel06
Cancelled
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thoughts on this one? Several analysts think it could take market share from intel and Nvidia (I thought the same in 2000). Many think with the coming automization of cars, etc, crypto mining and AI developments, it could take off.

I bought a stake today.
Old Buffalo
AG
AlMost Dead.
Cancelled
AG
Lol. We will see. I saw several analytical sites claiming it was a strong buy.
pacecar02
Been a fan since the Athlon core

They got beat when Intel cheated the testing scores along with the licensing agreements with PC makers and have never quite recovered when everything went 64 bit...but they've hung in there

By the time the 64bit p4 was mainstream, Intel's architecture was better and they had huge market share

I hope amd makes a comeback and starts punching up

Edit: in addition to the graphics chips being used in crypto mining, here are some benchmarks for the ryzen 7

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-1700X/3647vs3915
brownbrick
AG
Ryzen
mts6175
AG
Old Buffalo said:

AlMost Dead.

Far from it. Intel is playing catchup now on technology.
Cancelled
AG
Was up almost 5% today before losing some of the gains. This Ryzen chip looks very promissing.
FaceMask
EPYC server chips seem amazing as well and os where AMD can hurt Intel.
brownbrick
AG
Intel has lowered prices considerably because or Ryzen

This article is now old, but competition is always good for the market. Ryzen chips are making PC products less expensive.
mts6175
AG
I'll let you guys do your own research, but one word:

Threadripper

AMD announced it at Computex, it's going to compete in the high end PC market against the Intel I9, and it's probably going to be half the price as the I9 and very close to the same performance. AMD is essentially buying back market share and it's putting a big enough dent in Intel that they just moved up the release of the Skylake-X lineup 3 full quarters sooner to compete with AMD. Add to it a lot of OEM's are hopping on the AMD train like Asus to take advantage of the Ryzen hype it's adding to the fire. It's interesting to watch what's happening between the two in the tech world.

Point is - AMD is gaining market share rapidly from Intel and in my opinion it's a stock to watch right now (and buy).
Cancelled
AG
Up over 3% today after decent gains since buying in.
Tonyperkis
AG
I want AMD to do well as I live in Austin and used to work there. However, I still have trouble seeing them be able to monetize the hype that currently surrounds them. Their financials still look terrible.

The potential of their new products is great and appear to be getting solid performance reviews. They could absolutely come back and become a really profitable company with their current product pipeline. AMD gaining just a little share on Intel in the server space should have a significant impact on their financials. However, when you really look at the long term I have concerns. The lead architect (Jim Keller - a legend in the Semi-conductor industry) left over a year ago. His designs are in place for this architecture (which typically have 5 year life cycle), but what happens next go around? I still don't trust AMD to be able to battle Intel and Nvidia long term when those companies are so much healthier financially.

The margins of Intel and Nvidia dominate AMD's margins. Even if AMD's products were truly superior (which they aren't, they are just starting to catch up with this new technology), Intel and Nvidia could just get in a price war if needed and it would be tough for AMD to compete.

I want to be wrong, but I think it's unwise to think of AMD as anything other than a speculation stock with a high risk/high reward potential at these price points. I could see it doubling this year, but I could also easily see it dropping to single digits again.
pacecar02
given the history, its hard to find fault with your statements

I too want them to succeed. When did you work there? If it was the '03-'05 time-frame why do you think they were unable to compete effectively?
Tonyperkis
AG
Worked there 2011-2016.

I think it's impressive how much they do with the amount of resources they have compared to Nvidia and Intel. They have great engineers and their vision appears to be in a good place right now. If they truly become a profitable company, it will be because they brought Jim Keller in and he killed it with this architecture. The guy is a legend.

2003-05 success was from an excellent architecture as well in Opteron. That's kind of my point though. AMD struggles and struggles and then hits one out of the park. The Zen architecture and the products coming from it look good.

I do worry about branding as well, although gamers are more aware than your general Best Buy shopper. Everyone knows Intel, and Nvidia has been doing a really good job in recent years. I'm not necessarily pessimistic on AMD, I just think it's a gamble and would be cautious.
Cancelled
AG
Down 5% and falling.
Ranger222
AG
Caught in this ascending channel with high volatility for now. You might be able to trade within the channel. Buy the dips, sell at the peaks.

mts6175
AG
Intel announcement today.
deceptivespeed14
AG
mts6175 said:

What was it?
Cancelled
AG
Yeah, I'm not selling that's for sure. If I had some extra cash, I'd buy right now.
mts6175
AG
deceptivespeed14 said:

mts6175 said:

What was it?

They announced their new server chips. It's part of what I mentioned earlier that they were moving the announcement up 3 quarters on.

Of course AMD just announced their prices on Threadripper a couple hours ago - half the price
redsox34
AG
Up big in after hours after they released earnings
Cancelled
AG
Yep. Nearly 9%
AGS749901
Looks like I may get called out Friday.
tailgatetimer10
AG
Now simply waiting for the next pull back to get some more. Super pumped about the earnings reaction
wheelskjm
AG
https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/ethereum-miners-lease-boeing-747s-to-ship-amd-processors-share-price-goes-up/

tailgatetimer10
AG
From my understanding crypto isn't included in their guidance.. so all of this is gravy
aggiedaniel06
AG
Crushed earnings, raised guidance and SP is 25% down. What gives?
Tonyperkis
AG
Well, the most recent news is that Vega (the graphics card with new architecture) is underwhelming. It basically matches or slightly under-performs a chip Nvidia started selling over a year ago. It under-performs due to power usage which is a pretty big deal and difficult to address with future driver/software changes.

Additionally, they beat earnings but they are still not making money. The fundamentals on AMD are still terrible. This is a speculative growth stock based on future potential earnings from new product lines. When underwhelming reviews come out about products like Vega, it has a big impact on investor views of the company.

Threadripper and EPYC are still the biggest catalysts for AMD in my opinion and those haven't come to market yet. The server market is huge and dominated by Intel and that market isn't going anywhere. If AMD can make even a small market share dent, it should be a big impact on their financials.
tailgatetimer10
AG
Threadripper is definitely out already.
tailgatetimer10
AG
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/20/tesla-building-an-ai-chip-for-its-cars-with-amd-globalfoundries.html

Up 11% today.
Cancelled
AG
Yep! Going nuts in after market trading. Glad I held on to this one. Gonna hold it a few more points and take my profits. I've noticed with AMD there's always a drop after a big gain. Not many people have faith in this company:
tailgatetimer10
AG
I'm trying to set a mental note of when I want to take profits. I plan on buying back in, because I agree, it'll pull back slightly.
aggiedaniel06
AG
Anyone still following this? Has taken almost a 40% hit from its highs a few months ago. 2017 looks like it was the the year of solid product launches with new architecture that could take away some market share from Intel and Nvidia and 2018 looks poised to be the year that the positive effects from those products start showing up on the books. I am tempted to take a bite at today's SP of 10.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.