Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Teens in the workforce

2,593 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SACR
Harkrider 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I would bet that you learned time management skills and how to balance a bunch of spinning plates, which in turn, taught you not to sweat the small stuff. You probably have a ton of confidence in your abilities. You may have learned some of this at home and through other things, but work adds a dimension that is hard to pick up elsewhere.
The Original AG 76
AG
Aust Ag said:

Good stories here, but back to the top.....why don't kids work now like they used to?
My only contribution to this thing was my attempt to use neighborhood kids to do lawn work , just like we ALL did as our first paying gig. Results were pathetic. The parents finally had to admit that they kids really didn't want to work so I gave up. I would gladly pay more than the going rates for the packs of pedros all over town but it wasn't the money issue. They just didn't want to work.
gig em 02
JP76 said:

WoMD said:

JP76 said:

Because millennial entitlement expects everything to be given to them instead of having to work for it
That's what you create when you give participation trophies to everyone.

Using that point no one under the age of 30 would be employed.

Have you looked at the statistics of the younger workforce?
And how many still live at home ?

Have you looked at the credit card debt and complete lack of financial knowledge of non-millennials? Living at home and saving the $500-$1000 a month in rent can go a long way towards financial independence.

Good financial decisions shouldn't be criticized.
IrishTxAggie
AG
They're not saving the money nor making much of it.
tamutaylor12
Managing recent college grads that haven't worked a crap job can be interesting. I think most people figure out quickly that you do what the boss says or disagree privately and politely in a professional way. Others take directions as optional if they have some aversion to the task. They will also want to change certain things after a few days on the job when the organization has spent money and time rolling out a major project. This is "typical millennial behavior" that I think could be corrected with more experience in the workforce before they graduate college.
DadAG10
The Original AG 76 said:

Aust Ag said:

Good stories here, but back to the top.....why don't kids work now like they used to?
My only contribution to this thing was my attempt to use neighborhood kids to do lawn work , just like we ALL did as our first paying gig. Results were pathetic. The parents finally had to admit that they kids really didn't want to work so I gave up. I would gladly pay more than the going rates for the packs of pedros all over town but it wasn't the money issue. They just didn't want to work.
Odds are that the parents paid others to do their lawn and the kids never had to.
The Original AG 76
AG
DadAG10 said:

The Original AG 76 said:

Aust Ag said:

Odds are that the parents paid others to do their lawn and the kids never had to.
You mean like the neighbor with 3 boys who pays for lawn AND a pool service ! pathetic . Yet she routinely complains about how hard it is for her darlins to get a summer job. I do know that all 3 of em did get jobs around here and all 3 lasted about 2 weeks ( max) before getting the boot. Getting fired from Burger Biggie is tough !
gig em 02
ColinAggie said:

They're not saving the money nor making much of it.

So the problem is not that they live at home with their parents, it's that they are
A) financially illiterate (like the previous 5 generations)
B) Lazy
C) Incapable of high paying jobs
D) Other

?
IrishTxAggie
AG
Quote:

Living at home and saving the $500-$1000 a month in rent can go a long way towards financial independence.

They're not doing it to assist in their future financial independence though. It's not a good financial decision for them. They're doing it out of necessity.
NoahAg
Quote:

Oh, I am not really interested in any "kids these days" responses
Sorry, but this is the most correct answer. We have snowflake parents raising snowflake millennial kids. Most kids today expect that their first job will be the job they get after graduating from college.

Kids are being led to believe that minimum wage, entry level, or manual work is beneath them.

There are a few exceptions to this (one reason I enjoy going to Chick fila).
Aust Ag
AG
ColinAggie said:

Quote:

Living at home and saving the $500-$1000 a month in rent can go a long way towards financial independence.

They're not doing it to assist in their future financial independence though. It's not a good financial decision for them. They're doing it out of necessity.
Yep, for sure. I'm sure they're just like we were coming out of school and couldn't wait to get a place of your own. Now, for the reason they don't have the money for their own place, that's another subject and probably ties in to some of these responses.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Aust Ag said:

ColinAggie said:

Quote:

Yep, for sure. I'm sure they're just like we were coming out of school and couldn't wait to get a place of your own. Now, for the reason they don't have the money for their own place, that's another subject and probably ties in to some of these responses.
I'd say their degree choices play into it very heavily. I have no use for someone with a degree in sociology or history.
aTm2004
AG
Aust Ag said:

According to a couple of different reports I've seen this week teens in the workforce has dropped from 55% 30 years ago to about 35% now. Their reasoning was because of educational reasons, to boost their chances of getting into college. I really don't know what that means. Do the people that look at college Applications look down on people that work while going to school?

Anyway, I was just wondering why the drop? Is it harder for them to get jobs for some reason? My 15-year-old has no trouble finding work in my neighborhood , so I doubt that's it.

Oh, I am not really interested in any "kids these days" responses . Sounds to me like the parents have some accountability here.
That's BS. One of my old co-worker's son got accepted to Harvard (just finished his junior year at Harvard) and worked at McDonald's for 2 summers. IMO, parents are enabling a poor work ethic. Now, I'd say it's different if your kid is a potential D1 athlete and is playing summer league sports.
tamutaylor12
I think the bottom line is that a lot of middle and upper income parents see minimum wage type work as beneath their children. Obviously this does a huge disservice to their children in the long run but they get the immediate satisfaction of thinking they are providing a great childhood. Of course their children don't know any different so they generally become spoiled as opposed to thankful.
SACR
AG

The flip side of this is they are literally not making their kids pay for anything, so their kids have no experience paying bills. One of the upsides of having a job in high school was you could pay for gas. Some parents make their kids pay for car insurance, or even pay to buy the car. My parents were generous enough to pay for car insurance, but gas and other expenses were on me.

Part of my paycheck went to debt service on things like my class ring, letter jacket, and other 'wants' that I desired but didn't necessarily need.

If your kids never work and never get the experience that living any type of lifestyle costs money, you're failing to prepare them for living outside your home.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.