Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Owned by Deceased Father

1,786 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Aggiemike96
blazer18
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I just found out that my dad, who died right at two years ago, owned individual shares in a company at the time of his death. The shares today are worth 25% of what they were worth on the date of his death (~70k decrease). Any recommendations on what to do from here? I'm guessing there's no way to redeem the shares at the price they were valued at the time of death so should i get the shares transferred to my mom's name and have her hold them? Thanks
neutics
AG
CFP here, good question. You are on the right track though I have a couple of questions to ask the executor:

1. Were these direct purchase shares, or otherwise in a taxable account? If so, did these go through probate? By now the shares should already be owned in an individual account by your mom. If not, you will need to contact the custodian and provide a death certificate, probate documents, and probably their own form.

2. She received a step-up in basis at his DOD, presumably to a value higher than when they were purchased. What has happened since his death is irrelevant to the basis, though worth comparing to the original cost basis to get a true picture of the gain/loss. Inherited shares are always taxed as long-term capital gains, though in this case if she sells she would realize a loss (which may be valuable in terms of tax-loss harvesting and carrying forward the loss to offset up to $3,000 in gains in future years).

You may have heard of the 'alternate valuation date', which is a way to re-value assets six months after death in the case of declining values. However, this applies to the whole estate (i.e. home and anything else he passed on) and MUST be elected within one year of filing the form 706, so it appears are well past this deadline.

This can get complicated quickly, so let me know if it doesn't make sense. If your mom does nothing and holds them until her death, then you (and your siblings, if any) would receive a step-up or step-down in basis as well, which could be good. Depends whether she needs the money and the long-term prospects for the stock.
nactownag
AG
This is a pretty complete answer. Good job.
cheeky
AG
CFP here. The tax advice above is incorrect. Capital gains and losses are netted out, and if the loss is greater then you are limited to recognizing a $3,000 loss for tax purposes. The balance of the losses carry forward in this manner until fully consumed.
Stive
AG
CFP here. It's technically not incorrect. He just didn't answer it as succinctly as you would prefer he answer it.
neutics
AG
Stagecoach, your 'advice' is not technically correct either lest get into the intricacies of how the gains and losses balance out depending on their nature (ST vs LT). Copied and pasted below due to my laziness:

• Short-term losses counterbalance those expensive short-term gains. What's left at the end of Part I of Form 8949 is the net short-term capital gain or loss. If there were no gains, then obviously the net would equal the total loss.
  • Long-term losses are applied to long-term gains. The result, at the end of Part II of Form 8949, is the net long-term capital gain or loss. Again, if you have only a loss, then the net is a negative number.
  • Next, you combine the short-term and long-term results on Schedule D. At this point, a loss in one section can offset a gain in the other section. For example, if you have a net short-term loss of $1,000 and a net long-term gain of $1,200, then you'll pay tax on only $200.
  • If there's still a loss, you can deduct up to $3,000 from other income.
  • If you had a really bad year and ended up with a net loss of more than $3,000, you can carry forward the leftover portion to next year's taxes. The unused loss can be applied to next year's gains, as well as up to $3,000 of earned income. A big loss can be used as a deduction indefinitely another important reason to keep good records.
gigemhilo
AG
CPA here - none of these guys know what they are talking about!!

JK - it was all pretty good advice. Just having fun....

neutics
AG
This is what we do to kill time before the big game....
blazer18
neutics said:

CFP here, good question. You are on the right track though I have a couple of questions to ask the executor:

1. Were these direct purchase shares, or otherwise in a taxable account? If so, did these go through probate? By now the shares should already be owned in an individual account by your mom. If not, you will need to contact the custodian and provide a death certificate, probate documents, and probably their own form.

2. She received a step-up in basis at his DOD, presumably to a value higher than when they were purchased. What has happened since his death is irrelevant to the basis, though worth comparing to the original cost basis to get a true picture of the gain/loss. Inherited shares are always taxed as long-term capital gains, though in this case if she sells she would realize a loss (which may be valuable in terms of tax-loss harvesting and carrying forward the loss to offset up to $3,000 in gains in future years).

You may have heard of the 'alternate valuation date', which is a way to re-value assets six months after death in the case of declining values. However, this applies to the whole estate (i.e. home and anything else he passed on) and MUST be elected within one year of filing the form 706, so it appears are well past this deadline.

This can get complicated quickly, so let me know if it doesn't make sense. If your mom does nothing and holds them until her death, then you (and your siblings, if any) would receive a step-up or step-down in basis as well, which could be good. Depends whether she needs the money and the long-term prospects for the stock.
Thank you for the thorough response.

1. These were direct purchase shares through Scottrade. I don't believe they have been through probate but I'm not too familiar with this process and will need to confirm. I'll start working to get these transferred into my mom's account.

2. I looked up step up basis and I'm not sure if this will apply or help my mom. My dad paid 100k for the stock back in ~2011 (he drank the Koolaid on SWN), it was worth ~85k at DOD and worth about 18k today.

My mom is also in the pending stage of selling a small vacation property she jointly owned with my dad that will have capital gains of 40k. Would the half step up in basis apply here? If that's the case, would it be sensible to sell some of the SWN stock to offset her share of the gains?

I know I'll probably need to go speak with someone eventually but I appreciate all of the advice.
gigemhilo
AG
Is this in Texas?

Texas is a community property state. That means that you don't get a half step up, but rather a full step up at DOD.
blazer18
Yes it's in Texas but my mom has always been a joint owner of the property. She'd still get a full step up?
Harkrider 93
AG
blazer18 said:

Yes it's in Texas but my mom has always been a joint owner of the property. She'd still get a full step up?
Yes, she will get the full step up.
Aggiemike96
AG
CPA PhD here... I know nothing about taxes.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.