Business & Investing
Sponsored by

USAA membership

3,068 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 62strat
FTAC2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My stepdad recently started working for them and now I have access to all of the USAA membership benefits.

Does anyone use them? What are the must have benefits (banking, insurance, etc.)? I think I can get employee discounts on all the insurances so I'm definitely going to look into that.

Anyway, just wanted to get anyone's thoughts on this. Thanks!!
74OA
AG
I've had USAA's home, car and personal effects insurance for almost 40 years and it has been an outstanding value. You can find cheaper insurance, but it will be difficult to match the service and lack of hassles, particularly if you ever live overseas. No idea about their newer ventures in banking and investments.
FTAC2011
AG
I have heard their customer service is second to none.
Martin Q. Blank
It's second to Amica. USAA has started to slip.
FTAC2011
AG
Okay. I stand corrected.
fourth deck
AG
I married into it almost 5 years ago and have had mostly positive experiences. We have home & auto insurance along with banking things like credit cards, checking, mortgage, and an auto loan. Checking is nice since you get free basic checks and can use any ATM and get refunded up to $15/month in fees. I can't recommend getting a mortgage through them now that their subservicer is NationStar.
Duncan Idaho
I say the following as a member for the last 30 years.

Well certainly not their checking or traditional savings accounts.

Their brokerage accounts aren't anything to wrote home about.

Their credit cards aren't anything special. (Except the 2.5% cash back card but that requires a $1000/month direct deposit, which isn't that big of a deal but other than that card there is zero reason to have a checking account with them.

You can literally never go into a branch for help with your accounts. The financial service centers I have gone into have been almost exclusively a sales office.(that has been a few years, so it might have changed)

Homeowners insurance is ok.
Car insurance isn't nearly the deal it used to be. It sucks for classic cars and motorcycles.

If you are looking for a ira to park your roll over in some mutual funds, vangaird is a much better and cheaper option.

gougler08
AG
I recently dropped both home and auto as I was able to find rates up to 40% cheaper for same, if not better, coverage (I live in Houston).

As for checking/savings, as said above, I don't see anything great about them but haven't taken the time to move away from them either.

The customer service experience I've had with them has been fine, but not worth paying the premiums in my eyes.
FTAC2011
AG
You're pretty unhappy with USAA to be a 30 year member. Thanks for the candid feedback!
montejr
AG
Find an insurance adjuster, body shop, roofer, etc. and ask them about USAA. The proof for any insurance company is how they pay their claims. I don't have any personal experience with USAA.
Duncan Idaho
FTAC2011 said:

You're pretty unhappy with USAA to be a 30 year member. Thanks for the candid feedback!

They used to be fantastic it terms of rates, coverage and service. Now they are ok. They have been making some improvements but they went from being an ideal fraternal organization built on serving a very limited set of members (not customers) exceptionally well to trying to make as much money as possible for the employees.

Like I said, they used to be great, they went to ****, they have been slowly climbing back. But they are still resting on their reputation.

The Wonderer
AG
FTAC2011 said:

Okay. I stand corrected.
Just fat-fingered that "n"
62strat
AG
I've had them for 15 years or so. Someone said you can't go into a bank for help; I've never needed to. I have free ATMs anywhere, and I'v even depositing checks on iPhone for almost 10 years. They have chat online which I've used a few times.

I've had several claims over the years and I just don't know any better, but it's the easiest thing ever. They get things started right away, they have the communication center in your account which details what's going on and what you need to do, etc.

Two totalled cars and we've gotten above market value. I just had a 16 month old leased truck totaled and they paid above the pay off amount. I pit like $1000 down, and even with my low monthly lease payments, I still wasn't upside down on it, according to their payout.

Anyway, I've always spoken highly of them. I say if you can get it, try it. See if you ever leave.
sbs
AG
Couldn't agree with you more.

Name another bank that pays you back ATM fees from another bank. USAA has free ATM.

I had to file a claim on my house. Quick, easy and hassle free.
Furlock Bones
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

FTAC2011 said:

They used to be fantastic it terms of rates, coverage and service. Now they are ok. They have been making some improvements but they went from being an ideal fraternal organization built on serving a very limited set of members (not customers) exceptionally well to trying to make as much money as possible for the employees.

Like I said, they used to be great, they went to ****, they have been slowly climbing back. But they are still resting on their reputation.

agreed. i've been a member since i was 15. it went to crap for awhile but now seems to be climbing back a bit.
The Wonderer
AG
sbs said:

Name another bank that pays you back ATM fees from another bank. USAA has free ATM.

There are about 10-15 banks that do this. Nearly every online bank provides this benefit because they don't have brick and mortar locations.
Diggity
AG
I was about to post the same. Ally has been doing that for years.

They have a much better rate on savings accounts as well.
The Wonderer
AG
Diggity said:

I was about to post the same. Ally has been doing that for years.

They have a much better rate on savings accounts as well.
Best savings rate I know is Goldman Sachs Bank. They just increased to 1.20%.
Zemira
AG
The Wonderer said:

sbs said:

There are about 10-15 banks that do this. Nearly every online bank provides this benefit because they don't have brick and mortar locations.

I have USAA and Charles Schwab accounts that both have free checks and ATM fees. I got USAA first but I prefer Charles Schwab. Their customer service is awesome.

USAA's customer service is okay, but had gone downhill in the past few years.

Compared to the major banks they are great, but that isn't hard to do.
histag10
AG
at this point this is what I can say I like about being a USAA member:

I can get a discount on rental cars. (but discount through work is larger)
their checking account and customer service is better than wells fargo
for roughly the same price, I get better customer service with Progressive on car insurance
rider policies are actually pretty cheap, and not a huge hassle when making a claim
home owners insurance is pretty decent.
Joe Exotic
AG
I use USAA for insurance. Navy Federal for banking. Navy Federal seems to be much better for banking.
62strat
AG
The Wonderer said:

sbs said:

Usaa has always had them, way before online banking was even a thing. That's our point. Others are just following their model. I haven't looked it up, but I'm willing to bet they are possibly the original bank with no locations. So they've always had to cater to that, and now it's common place with onlink banks.

Usaa had ability to deposit checks from home (with a printer) like 15+years ago (maybe longer, thats when I became a member and they had it then). Then it adapted to iPhones when they came out. Now I see commercials on tv for a bank 'now offering deposit checks right from your phone', and I kind of chuckle. Only 10 years behind.

Usaa just seems ahead of the game for innovative/technological features.
The Wonderer
AG
62strat said:

The Wonderer said:

sbs said:

Usaa has always had them, way before online banking was even a thing. That's our point. Others are just following their model. I haven't looked it up, but I'm willing to bet they are possibly the original bank with no locations. So they've always had to cater to that, and now it's common place with onlink banks.

Usaa had ability to deposit checks from home (with a printer) like 15+years ago (maybe longer, thats when I became a member and they had it then). Then it adapted to iPhones when they came out. Now I see commercials on tv for a bank 'now offering deposit checks right from your phone', and I kind of chuckle. Only 10 years behind.

That's great if time travel were a thing, but since nearly every bank does it now, it's not really special.
FTAC2011
AG
Their checking account pays $.10 cash back with every transaction. Not much but $.10 better than any other checking account I know of
gougler08
AG
FTAC2011 said:

Their checking account pays $.10 cash back with every transaction. Not much but $.10 better than any other checking account I know of

Yeah this is what I use, I just use the debit card for any cheap purchases
62strat
AG
The Wonderer said:

62strat said:

The Wonderer said:

sbs said:

That's great if time travel were a thing, but since nearly every bank does it now, it's not really special.
this has obviously gone way over your head. Usaa tends to be ahead of trends, to put it more simply for you.
The Wonderer
AG
62strat said:

The Wonderer said:

62strat said:

The Wonderer said:

sbs said:

this has obviously gone way over your head. Usaa tends to be ahead of trends, to put it more simply for you.
It's hasn't, I assure you. I'm just not going to choose a bank because of what they did 15 years ago.
62strat
AG
The Wonderer said:

62strat said:

The Wonderer said:

62strat said:

The Wonderer said:

sbs said:

It's hasn't, I assure you. I'm just not going to choose a bank because of what they did 15 years ago.
Based on this response, it clearly has.
The Lurker
AG
A post here a year or so ago had a great quote "People are in love with a USAA that doesn't exist anymore."

I remember when USAA advertisements had "96% of members plan to be members for life." Then is changed to 92%, now I don't think they advertise it but I may be wrong.

Someone pulled out in front of me and she accepted responsibility. I tried calling USAA to report it but I couldn't get a hold of anyone and they called me back four hours later. I gave my story the USAA and USAA said they will claim it was partly my fault because I had ended a phone call a minute prior... wtf? I told the USAA claims agent that the other insurance company and the other driver agreed to accept full responsibility, still took a while for USAA to come around even though they would be out no money. This made me feel they don't have their members my back and I moved to AAA. It was more expensive but great coverage. I had a pipe burst that flooded the entire house. The claims process was a breeze. They were extremely generous on the value of all property and construction. Gave the check to us promptly and we could hire the contractor we wanted.

My parents and grandparents each had issues recently with USAA over a hail claim. USAA originally told them there was no damage. They had them reinspect it with a roofer present to point out all the issues. They are both now getting new roofs.

I still have their banking. I don't care for their investment offerings. Big plus for USAA in my opinion is they are based in Texas. Overall I haven't heard any negatives from members of USAA other than the price so my experience might be unique.
fourth deck
AG
Not to disagree that your family didn't have a bad experience with their hail claims but my hail claim in March/April went as smoothly as I could have hoped. While the inspector and the roofer both said there wasn't enough damage to warrant a new roof, I still received a check for things like dents in my ridge vent, gutters, and to replace gutter covers. And I have a $1000 deductible. The money was in my checking account quickly with no fuss after the report.

They were constantly asking for feedback about the claims process, so it does seem like they are actively trying to improve. Our experiences with getting car stuff repaired have also been top notch.

They are not great at everything they do. One need only look at the expense ratios on their mutual funds to let you know that there are much better options such as Vanguard. I also bank with Navy Federal and they run promotions on CDs and other things that USAA won't do.
The Wonderer
AG
62strat said:

The Wonderer said:

62strat said:

The Wonderer said:

62strat said:

The Wonderer said:

sbs said:

Blockbuster, Circuit City, Kodak.....

Prior success does not equate to continued success. Make decisions on the present, not the past.
62strat
AG
The Wonderer said:

62strat said:

The Wonderer said:

62strat said:

The Wonderer said:

62strat said:

The Wonderer said:

sbs said:

Blockbuster, Circuit City, Kodak.....

Prior success does not equate to continued success. Make decisions on the present, not the past.
When did this turn into a discussion of long term success??

I said USAA has seemingly always been ahead of innovative trends, gave one example, and you took the specific example and explained why it doesn't help you now because many others do it now as well. Right over your head. They continue to innovate and be ahead of trends. They have an entire site dedicated to it, which is, well, quite innovative.

https://www.usaa.com/labs
"USAA Labs provides members the opportunity to engage and provide feedback on new innovations, concepts and exclusive pilots. USAA Labs puts you, the innovator, at the forefront of innovation by providing a vibrant community where members can innovate for members."

Does your bank have this?

Aggie09Derek
AG
sbs said:

I pay 0 ATM fees with Bank of America.
62strat
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

sbs said:

I pay 0 ATM fees with Bank of America.

https://www.bankofamerica.com/deposits/resources/personal-schedule-fees.go

"Non-Bank of America ATM Fee for: Withdrawals, transfers and balance inquiries at a non-Bank of America ATM in the U.S. - $2.50"

There is a difference between free atms and surcharge refunds as well. Usaa refunds atm fees from other banks (in addition to not charging one). So it's not only USAA not charging a fee, it's also a refund of other banks fees, up to like $15 a month (that's only about 2 free strip club atm withdrawals!)
Lots of banks have 'free atms at any location', but that doesn't necessarily mean you're also getting refunded the fee from whoever owns that atm. Just means your bank isn't charging you, which is a ridiculous concept altogether.

Aggie09Derek
AG
I get everything refunded, pay $0 total in fees with BofA. Not every customer gets that though but if you are a preferred client or whatever you get everything refunded.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.