Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Limited Purpose FSA

933 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The Wonderer
TXTransplant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have a question about these accounts, specifically related to orthodontia care.

I realize that expenses are only eligible when you are provided with the care that gives rise to the eligible expenses and not when you are billed.

However, with orthodontia care, you get braces initially but then receive care over an extended period of time (and the cost of the braces includes all office visits and follow-up treatments).

So, my question is this - if an entire two year treatment of orthodontia care costs $6k, can an LPFSA be used to pay that $6k over two separate calendar years? and what if the braces are "installed" in 2017, but you stretch the payments into 2018 and 2019. Keep in mind there are constant adjustments, monthly check-ups, etc over the entire two year period.
The Wonderer
AG
Work out a payment plan with the orthodontist and I think you're fine. When I had my braces in high school, I know that we had a "total cost" from the beginning, but I paid an amount off every time I went in with the last payment being when the braces came off. I think it all depends on how you're billed.
Fightin_Aggie
AG
We used a payment plan to carry it out over two years.

You can send it into the FSA for review prior to starting. If I remember right they would only cover normal braces and not invisalign style because the invisalign were "cosmetic"
TXTransplant
Thanks for the replies - actual experience with this is exactly what I needed. My son is getting upper braces next week, but that's just the start of a two+ year treatment plan. I'm hoping to use the LPFSA next year to deduct two years worth of expenses/payments, and wanted to be sure I'm not asking the orthodontist's office to do anything that's sketchy. I'm not currently contributing to an LPFSA because I wasn't certain I was going to have this expense this year.

It shouldn't matter of the orthodontist is out of network, right? (My company does offer a dental plan that has limited orthodontic coverage, but I'm not currently enrolled in that, and it won't cover ongoing care. So the LPFSA is my only option).

$6k is enough - I'm not springing for Invisalign!
The Wonderer
AG
Yeah, I'd just asked them about a stretched 2 year payment plan because you'll be using an FSA for it. They'll understand. This isn't uncommon.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.