Business & Investing
Sponsored by

What is a good rate on a business electricity account in Texas?

839 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Bird Poo
Dad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a small business and I am wondering if I should look for a different electricity company or if I am paying a good price right now.

The price per KWH is $0.08, but on a bill with 4,640 KWH my total charges after taxes and a long list of fees is $796 which is a total cost of around 17 cents per KWH.

I know I can call up and get quotes but I am wondering if it would be a waste of time or not. What do you guys pay?
histag10
AG
Dont know if you can do this with a business account, but the HI board has a massive thread:

https://texags.com/forums/61/topics/2621980/0
TxAg20
AG
If you're in Texas look at your TDSP pass through charges. I think those are unlikely to change regardless of provider. My company bought ~$103,000 of electricity from Reliant last month. The distribution fees are more than double on Sharyland's lines versus Oncor lines.

The electricity provider just puts power on the lines, they don't usually own the lines. They have to pay the line owner a fee to move the electricity.
Ribeye-Rare
AG
aggie-master,

I've used an energy broker for a number of years now, and he does a great job for me.

For the past 2 years I've paid .045/kWH + the Oncor pass-through demand charges on a 3-phase 120/240 service. My most recent renewal (this month) saw an increase to .049/kWH + Oncor pass-through demand charges.

BTW, I'm not even using that much energy anymore, although I used to when I ran a manufacturing operation in my facility. Heck, even with Guard Light service, these days my bills never exceed $300/month.

In the days before energy deregulation in Texas I can remember paying in excess of .10/kWH, and I was buying quite a bit of electricity then for some heavy machinery.

So, you can probably do better, provided you're in a deregulated part of the state. If you're in a closed shop area, grab your ankles. ;-)
Tamu12
AG
I recently signed up with TXU for my business and got .047 plus the center point rate
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Agree with Ribeye-Rare regarding using a good broker.

I've been really happy with mine and am currently paying 0.043 / kWh fixed.

I use a decent amount of energy a month (~ 60,000 kWh).

If you'd like, I can put you in touch with him. Lemme know.

Ducks4brkfast
AG
Oh, and another thing.... don't wait until you're up for renewal to actually renew. You'll more than likely miss the dips in the market.
Dad
AG
Thanks for the replies. It looks like even if all of my other fees stayed the same I'd save more than $150 a month if I could get under 5 cents per KWH.

I'm not as rich as most people on Texags so it will be worth my time to find a new provider.
Bird Poo
AG
Energy Ogre
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.