Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Payroll - Self Employed/Small Business

1,409 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ord04
ORAggieFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've got my own S Corp and need a payroll service to pay me. I know exactly what I want to pay in all taxes (accountant calculated). Just need something that will take care of paying the state, feds, etc as well as my self. Any recommendations for simple and cheap?
Endo Ag
AG
I use Paychex for similar purposes, but I'm not sure that is best for you. I've heard good things about quickbooks payroll.

Reloadags1998
AG
Where are you located?. I have know a number of "smaller" payroll services out there and location may dictate who I recommend.
combat wombat™
AG
Why don't you do it? It's not hard. Are you using QB?
ORAggieFan
I'm in San Diego.

I'm using QB for some stuff, yet. If there is a link to give me a quick rundown of how to do it, I would. I don't want to be writing and mailing a bunch each month, so would prefer easy way to wire from my account.
Roy coy
AG
I use Paysphere and have used them for 3 different companies. I'm based out of Houston and so are they- they have been great.
libertyag
AG
combat wombat said:

Why don't you do it? It's not hard. Are you using QB?
This.

Get someone to show you how the first go round then do it yourself. With just you, or even you and a couple of employees, it would probably take more time getting the stuff back and forth to a service outfit than just doing it yourself.
ORAggieFan
I'm using QuickBooks small business and it's not included. I can definitely add it, something like $20-$30/month. Was just seeing if there are other options since it is only me and I know exactly how much I want to pay in FICA, SS, etc.
Aggie65
AG
I am a one man consulting S Corp and I do exactly what you want to do with QuickBooks. It is simple since you already know what you want to pay in taxes (FICA and Medicare is established, but withholding is up to you). While the QuickBooks payroll service is "extra", you can manually input the values for payroll yourself. I think paying a payroll service for 1 employee is absolutely not necessary
ORAggieFan
Aggie65 said:

I am a one man consulting S Corp and I do exactly what you want to do with QuickBooks. It is simple since you already know what you want to pay in taxes (FICA and Medicare is established, but withholding is up to you). While the QuickBooks payroll service is "extra", you can manually input the values for payroll yourself. I think paying a payroll service for 1 employee is absolutely not necessary
So, you're saying you are doing this with no additional cost? I wonder if I should convert from QuickBooks Self Employed to another version. Currently only paying $5/month.
Bocephus
AG
We use QB
combat wombat™
AG
ORAggie, I'm a CPA with payroll and QB background. If you're going to be drawing a paycheck when your CPA has calculated withholding and every paycheck is going to be the same you can just enter the net check into QuickBooks. Then you can track your quarterly payroll using a spreadsheet incomplete your quarterly 941manually, as well as your 940, your W-2s and your Texas unemployment. Its really not hard, nor is it time consuming. I'd be happy to help you get started - just shoot me an e-mail at wombutt at gmail dot com with your contact info.

QuickBooks can do all of this for you. However the cost to have it do this may be more than you want to pay if you are the only employee.

Also, keep in mind that QuickBooks offers several different levels of payroll. The most basic would be adequate for what you need. You just want to be able to cut payroll checks and print out the payroll tax forms.
ORAggieFan
Aggie65 said:

Which QB version do you have? I think there are so many I'm not using the same as others on here.

Thanks Combat - I'll look at those forms!
Aggie65
AG
I am using QuickBooks Pro 2010. You have to have the employee information entered. I select Employees/Pay Employees. A window opens named Enter Payroll Information. Check the employee name (in this case it is only my name), Click on the name and Preview Paycheck window opens. You can manually put your Salary/Withholding/Social Security/Medicare values and save/close. It prepares the payroll check and you can print it by opening File/Print Forms/Paychecks. Google "manual payroll in QuickBooks" for more detailed information. There are also YouTube videos, but I haven't looked at them for applicability.
ORAggieFan
Ah, that's the difference. I'm using the Small Business Cloud edition for $5/month. Thanks.
combat wombat™
AG
I'm a QuickBooks proadvisor, too. Let me find out what the least expensive version of QuickBooks Online you need in order to run payroll.
ord04
I used quickbooks but that made filing very time consuming and expensive.

Gusto, hands down is the best platform for small businesses. It files all reports, easy to integrate with quickbooks. No brainer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.