Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Investing in E-Sports/ E-League

1,418 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by DanHo2010
Wrec86 Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I truly think that gaming is on the way up and will eventually be one of the "major" sports in America below the NFL, NBA, MLB, but above or in the same ballpark as the NHL, MLS, etc.

What kinds of funds, companies, etc should I be looking into investing with?

Anybody else agree/disagree?
tamutaylor12
No idea of how to invest in it but I teach elementary kids and they definitely are into it. Not sure where it will top out but I could see it growing consistently over the next 10 years as kids grow into a market that can be tapped.
GarlandAg2012
AG
If you want somthing semi-passive, I would look at some of the most popular streamers and see what brand sponsors them then look for the companies that back them and are publicly traded.

For instance: Razer is a big brand in the gaming community and is at least partially backed by Intel: https://www.razerzone.com/about-razer

If you want to be a big time active investor you'd need to find a way to get plugged in with the companies setting up the tournaments I guess.
Ranger222
AG
$EA
$ATVI
$TTWO

All video game companies who are participating in E-Sports. Many have seen great returns YTD already
wheelskjm
AG
There are a variety of betting blockchains coming out. FirstBlood is one of the ones that are relatively popular and gamecredits.
DanHo2010
AG
Twitch is owned by Amazon, so I guess that would be one entry point. GarlandAg2012 had a good idea too about watching the companies that sponsor streams and tournaments.

From what I understand, the tournaments themselves don't necessarily make much money. They're basically just exposure organized directly by the developer to drive player involvement as part of the marketing budget. I know there are starting to be a few cable TV deals here and there, but the most watched games like League of Legends, DOTA, Counterstrike, CoD, Hearthstone, etc., all do free-to-watch tournaments that might recoup costs on ad sales and/or Twitch subs, and actually make money on getting people to play the game. It's like the Nathan's hot dog eating contest - the contest itself probably makes no money, but it does get a lot of regular folks to go buy some hot dogs. Don't take this as necessarily true, it's just my educated guess as to how it probably works from observing for a while. But the real smart play (and the most difficult) might be identifying the next big competitive game and getting in on its studio early.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.