Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Experience Leaving the Law

3,004 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by knoxtom
Lawyer2006
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am a commercial litigator, and I am thinking about making a career change.

Are there any lawyers on the board who practiced law in a previous life and decided to do something else? What did you do as a lawyer, and what do you do now? What was your experience making the leap? How did your legal skills translate to your new role?

Alternatively, has anybody hired a lawyer that was making a career change? Why did you decide to give the lawyer a chance in the non-legal position? How did their legal skills translate into the new role?
aggieland09
AG
I had a family friend stop practicing law and now does commercial real estate & development. He enjoys it and has alot of fun. He began locating properties that had liens and other problems and he would bring investors together to purchase, improve the property / remove liens and lease or sell.

Good luck
Guitarsoup
AG
My dad left law to do more fulfilling work in non-profits.
Aquin
AG
The athlete that I admired most was ol Dandy Don Meredith, not for all his escapades but because he left while he could still play the game. I had a real estate and real estate litigation practice for 23 years in a major city. Great clients and a pretty successful practice. I left to become a cow/calf producer, or rancher. Everyone told me that I would miss the intellectual challenge of the law. Hardly. I found the genetics of the cattle industry more interesting than anything in my practice. As you appreciate, you do not control your calendar as a lawyer. I was now able to attend all of the school functions of our kids. Since there was no commute, my day was far more productive. Over a 20 year span, I am 68, I wrote two historical novels and published an article on the experiences of a great grandfather on the frontier. If there was a regret, we could not travel. If I left the place the cows would break for the fences. Now I am retired. An old rancher told me when I was contemplating leaving the law practice that the Good Lord did not put you on this earth to earn the last dollar bill printed. It was good advice to me. I pass the same along to you. Good Luck.
Lawyer2006
Thanks, Aquin. You are absolutely right about not controlling your own calendar. That is one of my major motivations. Travelling is just as hard when you can't control when a deposition is scheduled or a trial/hearing is set.

Did you have experience with ranching from before practicing law or did you jump into it cold? If you don't want to disclose too much on a public board, maybe I can PM you?
Aquin
AG
I had a rural background not specifically ranching. But, lawyers are good at reading. Hell a friend of mine restored a 65 Mustang from a book. I would encourage you to pursue your dream. Life is very short. Frankly, I could think of a dozen things I would still like to try my hand at. You are young enough to make a mistake and have time to recover. Plus a law degree is still a very versatile degree. Go for it. I am happy to answer any questions. Plus there are some books about leaving the practice of law. Never read any. I just did it.
Stive
AG
A very good friend of mine left the legal world in his early thirties and pursued a career as a compensation consultant for banks and credit unions. He and his partner now have 40+ staff people, and a huge book of business. The down side was during the week they travel(ed) quite a bit. But they did control their own schedule for the most part.

His father was pretty high up in the Texas banking world for many years though so he had a natural transition into that career. In his previous life as an attorney, he was on the estate planning side.
jschroeder
Not a lawyer, just a former engineer turned entrepreneur. There are so many "former lawyers" running their own businesses that I personally think it's a better path to business ownership/entrepreneurship than actual business degrees.

The discipline and attention to detail you guys learn to get through law school is a HUGE advantage in non-legal fields.
TxAgLaw03RW
AG
Great thread. I'm about 10 years in and have thought many times about doing something else. Ideal scenario would be entrepreneurial route, but no good business idea yet.

Cancelled
AG
I've been a lawyer for 14 years. 8 on my own. I'm always looking for a way out. I've been toying with the idea of a non-profit dealing with a conservative/capitalist way of cleaning up our rivers and oceans (stupid, I know).
91AggieLawyer
AG
I am in the process right now and have been for a while. I still keep my toe in the water, so to speak, but I want out. I'm doing consulting, training, and coaching. I like teaching (not law; not really even in any form of academia) and have found training and coaching fulfilling. It is a bit more difficult getting clients than it was when I was full practice of mostly litigation but I'm getting better. And people are seeing my worth a little bit more (i.e. referrals). Anyway, the skills I learned in law school and throughout my practice are invaluable -- something no MBA will ever have.

I could have easily gone into real estate or finance (interested in both) but I decided to put into place what I have a passion for -- effective leadership. I've been conducting research -- everything from literature review to actual empirical and anecdotal studies -- since around 1999. Around 2007, probably at the height of my legal practice, I started putting together a course outline for what and how I wanted to teach. I spent a lot of time in 2011 and 2012 pitching the idea, finishing the original outline(s) and then proceeded to mostly trash it. It just didn't flow the way I wanted it to. I went back to the "library." I read several things that were either just out or that I had missed before and in 2014, I sat down to take another crack at a course outline. This time, the outline flowed from my fingers almost as easily as this post. I had picked up a few coaching clients and some have stayed with me while others have moved on.

Aside from coaching, I'm pretty well setup to start training classes for virtually any type of organization. In June, I'm doing a session for school principals.

We've got too many lawyers, in my opinion. Loosing a few good ones isn't going to hurt anyone!
TexasAggie73
AG
I thought they all just went into politics. Just kidding. Good luck finding what you are passionate about.
Ribeye-Rare
AG
Lawyer2006,

I feel for you, and recall once reading the following:

Quote:

No amount of money can adequately compensate a man for doing something for a living that he doesn't enjoy.

That said, I must ask you whether you are married, and if so do you have a family that is depending upon you to take care of them? How you answer those questions will heavily factor into the course I'd recommend to you. A wife, kids and mortgage may all come before your happiness, I'm sorry to say.

In my case, after spending about 1-1/2 years doing transactional work in one of the large downtown Houston legal factories, I realized that there was no way I could do that for another 40+ years. Make no mistake, the people were good to me and they financially compensated me very well, but at the end of the day, I lacked job satisfaction because it seemed all I did to earn my salary was generate large stacks of paper and do the paperwork (much of it never looked at) on other folks' deals.

Those services need to be done, no doubt, but it just wasn't for me.

So, another restless soul and I located an insolvent manufacturing company that we could buy on the cheap, provided we assumed the sizeable debt that the business had run up, most of which came from gross mismanagement. I gave 2 weeks notice, told everyone goodbye, and that was it.

We bought that company, and I converted an old storeroom in the back of the place to an 'apartment' with a third world shower and I 'lived' there. I spent the next 3 years working my tail off and never drew a dime. Everything we made went to paying off debt.

What did I know about manufacturing? Not a damn thing, but I found it interesting, and that's all the incentive I needed to learn it. If you can learn something as complex, boring and convoluted as 'the law', you can learn almost anything else too, although I'm not sure I'd test that statement in one of the cutting edge high-tech fields.

I was young, single, and could scrape by on Taco Bell bean burritos. Your situation may be very different from that, and so you need to consider those who it will affect.

Had I been married I would never have been able to go for 3 years without a check, or to put all my time and effort into my new 'career'.

Hence, the reason for my question to you.

You don't have to make a complete break like I did.

Some refugees from the law change their practice specialty. And enjoy it more.

Some change to a smaller firm or go solo. And enjoy it more.

Some find work with companies doing 'in-house' legal. And enjoy it more.

Some go into public administration. And enjoy it more.

Some go into real estate or banking, where they can use some of the legal skills they learned. And enjoy it more.

With the foregoing moves, you may need to take a pay cut, but at least you'll keep working. Still, you need to consider whether your new salary will support your current lifestyle. If you are married, you may have a wife who doesn't mind 'cutting back'. Most wives, including my own, do mind however. They mind a lot, and you'll hear about it I guarantee.

I realize that what I did was fairly risky, and I'm not sure I'd recommend it to most folks. That first 3 years was really rough, and we could have failed in a big way. As it turned out, I rode that horse for over 30 years and enjoyed myself doing it. Manufacturing has good years, fair years, and bad years, and I realize that the guys I started practicing law with in downtown Houston are partners now and have banked far more money that I have. Still, I don't regret it. Not at all.

Strangely, now that I've gotten some years on me, I am less restless and I find myself looking for something to do that will be a challenge, so I'm thinking about getting back into the law game. I promised my parents that I'd keep my law license up, and have done so for over 30 years, so I'm good to go, right? After all, Texas only has 100,000 lawyers! I'm sure they need me. ;-)

Anyway, good luck to you, and if you do leave the law entirely, have another paying job lined up unless you're independently wealthy. And don't be worried about not 'knowing' anything else other than the law. If you find something that interests you - you WILL learn it. You CAN learn it.

You're young, and so my closing reference here may mean nothing to you, but I still recall a lyric from a 1980 Merle Haggard song:

Quote:

Wish I enjoyed what makes my living,
Did what I do with a willing hand.

You're not alone.
Quinn
AG
jschroeder said:

Not a lawyer, just a former engineer turned entrepreneur. There are so many "former lawyers" running their own businesses that I personally think it's a better path to business ownership/entrepreneurship than actual business degrees.

The discipline and attention to detail you guys learn to get through law school is a HUGE advantage in non-legal fields.
Honestly, I think a lot of degrees are better to go into business with than a business degree. Probably more important to have a specific skill or knowledge (engineering, science, law, etc) and you can pick up the business side a lot easier than vice versa.
knoxtom
Good luck.

I left the law, worked for 10 years for others, and now have kinda come back to it. I now own a law firm and acquisition company.

It is WAY easier if you own the new business/career as non-lawyers generally don't like hiring lawyers.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.