Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Credit monitoring

2,231 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Medaggie
Medaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Someone tried to file taxes under my name but caught by the IRS. I know amazing but it actually happened.

So someone has my information/SS# and I don't want any further intrusion.

What are the best way to protect my credit? Something like credit monitoring vs identity theft services like lifelock.

if something like lifelock, what is the best one to pick from. I know Dave Ramsey pushes Zander protection.

Thanks
IrishTxAggie
AG
I check Credit Karma every week. Gives me a good idea of what's going on.
Medaggie
I have that but don't check it weekly or will forget. I wonder if freezing my credit for alittle bit would be worth it.
IrishTxAggie
AG
They have an app now. I keep it close to my bank apps to remind me to check it routinely.
Medaggie
Thanks... Ill download the app and keep it close to my other common apps.

Any recs either way on credit freezing?
IrishTxAggie
AG
No. Never done that before. Sorry.
FourAggies
AG
I have done the credit freezes. They are very easy to do and they worked for me. I think the freeze is free and there is a small fee to unlock it...Maybe $10. The lock and unlock is done with a PIN after that and is effective the next day. I went to buy a car at a friend's dealership and didn't unlock and had to answer many private financial questions to proceed. Bought a house, asked the lender what credit service they used. I unlocked it and they checked the next day and I locked it again. Would have done this earlier, if I knew how easy it was.

All done online in a few minutes.
EmberAggie
AG
I wouldn't trust paying some company to monitor your credit. I had my identity stolen and several credit cards opened while I paid for Citibank's old credit monitoring service, where I was supposed to be notified if anyone applied or received credit in my name. Never heard a peep from them.

It was caught relatively early by another credit card company where I had a closed account. Someone with a brain or the computer noticed the person applying didn't have the maiden name correct. They clued me in, and then I found the trail. Interesting how the other companies that issued the person a card didn't notice the bad info.

I keep close tabs myself now and view those services with a jaded eye.
Fightin_Aggie
AG
Medaggie said:

I have that but don't check it weekly or will forget. I wonder if freezing my credit for alittle bit would be worth it.
As long as you keep track of the passwords to unfreeze your credit a freeze is the best way to go and much cheaper in the long run than the credit monitoring.
fourth deck
AG
One of the best writeups on credit freezes and identity theft:

Krebs on Security - how I learned to stop worrying and embrace the security freeze

From personal experience I haven't been pushed to the all-out credit freeze (yet) but have discounted credit monitoring which automatically renews the fraud alerts and also locks my equifax report to most new creditors. I used to use Lifelock but don't think it's worth the money and isn't as protective as they market it to be. When applying for new credit myself, I've noticed it doesn't show up on credit monitoring until well after the fact, so I wouldn't expect any credit monitoring to stop things in real time, that's what the freeze and fraud alerts are for.
The Wonderer
AG
This is not legal advice nor is there an attorney-client relationship between us. This is merely information regarding the reporting of potential identity theft.

1) Call one of the Credit Bureaus (below in blue) and place a fraud alert on your credit report. This will be good for 90 days (can extend it if/when needed). Confirm with them that they will contact the other two companies to notify them as well (they are required by federal law to do this free of charge);

Equifax 1-800-525-6285
Experian 1-888-397-3742
TransUnion 1-800-680-7289

2) Request a free credit report from whichever Credit Bureau you place the fraud alert with (also free under federal law);

3) Go to https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#&panel1-1 and create a Federal Trade Commission Identity Theft Affidavit;

4) Contact the FBI Field Office in your city. You will need to bring your FTC Identity Theft Affidavit (from Step 3, above) with you to file the FBI report;

5) Contact the Social Security Administration at 800-269-0271 to report that your SSN has been used to commit identity fraud and you are the victim of identity theft (if applicable); and finally

6) Inform any and all banking institutions where you have an account that you have been the victim of identity theft and fraud.

As phone calls are the faster manner to get these reports on file, you must take diligent notes when talking with these agencies and bureaus. To ensure that you maintain all necessary information, be sure to document, at a minimum, the following information for each and every phone call you make:

*****FOR EVERY PHONE CALL MADE REGARDING THIS MATTER*****
1. Agency Name:
2. Phone number you called:
3. Date:
4. Time at beginning of call:
5. Name of Agency Rep:
6. Identification number of Agency Rep:
7. Purpose of the call:
8. Time at end of the call:

*****REQUEST AND CONFIRM THAT YOUR REQUESTED INFORMATION/REPORT/ETC. BE SENT TO YOUR HOME ADDRESS AS CONFIRMATION OF THE PHONE CALL*****

I personally use Credit Karma and it is what I recommend to my clients for simple reviewing purposes. The app is easy and it updates every week.
62strat
AG
EmberAggie said:

I wouldn't trust paying some company to monitor your credit. I had my identity stolen and several credit cards opened while I paid for Citibank's old credit monitoring service, where I was supposed to be notified if anyone applied or received credit in my name. Never heard a peep from them.

I have used Usaa credit monitoring for about 10 years now. I literally get a text while I'm still at the location of wherever I'm filling out forms (like buying a car or what have you) or if done online, it comes within minutes of finishing application. I also get alerts if card used out of town without me setting travel dates.
Sounds like citibanks service just sucks.
Medaggie
I have decided to freeze my credit report. Do I freeze all 3 services or just one adequate.

The thought of unfreezing 3 services would be a big pain if just one would do
The Wonderer
AG
Refer to step 1 in my post above. Freeze lasts 90 days, but can be reported again to refreeze if wanted.
lataqueria
If you file a Fraud Alert with one credit bureau, they will notify the other bureaus.
fourth deck
AG
The Wonderer said:

Refer to step 1 in my post above. Freeze lasts 90 days, but can be reported again to refreeze if wanted.
Freeze =/= fraud alert
62strat
AG
fourth deck said:

The Wonderer said:

Freeze =/= fraud alert
I think he just meant, in the case of fraud, he only has to notify one bureau.
The Wonderer
AG
62strat said:

fourth deck said:

The Wonderer said:

Freeze =/= fraud alert
I think he just meant, in the case of fraud, he only has to notify one bureau.
This.
Medaggie
I just froze my credit at Transunion. Do I need to do it for all 3 or would 1 service be adequate.

I just don't want to go through the hassle of unfreezing all 3 if I need credit in the future.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.