Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Self Pay Health Insurance

1,167 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PeekingDuck
IrishTxAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking to get some rough estimates for likely costs on health insurance if I were to have to pay on my own. I'm putting together a compensation package for myself to present to a potential employer and they do not have a group plan due to the low number of US employees. I'm thinking a mid-range deductible due to my age and lifestyle would be ideal. Going to x-post this on job network too...

Some background to take into consideration for potential cost:

No kids
Non-smoker
Social drinker
Exercise 3-5x/wk
5'9" 165lbs
Overall good health

Thanks
DallasAggie0
Cheapest available on the marketplace will be between $300 - $400 per month.
IrishTxAggie
AG
That's roughly what I had figured. Thanks
DallasAggie0
Maybe try and ask for dental also it's about 25/month. Not worth it if you only go ~2 times a year though.
IrishTxAggie
AG
I figured that in as well as vision. Basically I was trying to build an idea of the total cost of benefits I would be responsible for if I were to take on this position vs. my current position that covers all of those things.
Beckdiesel03
AG
You can find non Obamacare plans that still have good deductibles. They just don't cover pre existing and when you go to the doc for checkups you're responsible. It's still a hell of a lot better than what I was paying and getting with Obamacare. We went from $800 a month for 4 with a $15k deductible to $450 a month with a $2500 deductible. My biggest complaint is that it isn't HSA approved so we can't fund our HSA this year.
The Wonderer
AG
I'm paying $375/mo for a HSA-approved HDHP from MemorialHermann

single
no kids
smoker

Tacked on $12/mo for eyes and teeth through TakeCommand.
Diggity
AG
who is the plan through?
Beckdiesel03
AG
Golden Rule through United. They also gave us some ridiculous discount for paying for the year upfront and it is been so nice especially since dealing with the marketplace disaster plans the last few years.
PeekingDuck
AG
Whatever you do, make sure you shop services. Memorial Hermann Radiology just asked for $720 for x-rays of my daughter's arm after a buckle fracture. Pretty comical.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.