Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Cost of app developer

955 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Century Tree Designs
bmks270
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What do good freelance developers charge per hour?

Jabe Allen
Mobile app developer (iOS/Android) or web application developer?

A good web developer is going to use a project rate of somewhere around $100/hour. A mobile app developer is going to likely be higher because of the more specialized development requirements. Keep in mind that many developers are going to charge for a project on a "flat rate" basis, meaning they will estimate and quote the price of the full project and you will pay the exact amount proposed (unless the project becomes out of scope of the proposed functionality and features). Flat rate projects are usually still based on a developer's standard hourly rate, however, so the information still applies.

For full disclosure, I am a full-time freelance web developer with just over 8 years experience. At a minimum I try to stick between $75 and $100 an hour on everything I do (flat rate estimates, hourly projects, etc.). Web and mobile development is very much a "you get what you pay for" kind of thing.

I'd be more than happy to talk more about it if you have questions! You can email me at jaime [at] jabeallen.com any time.
AliasMan02
AG
We've been trying to get through the weeds on this topic for a while. So much so that or focus might shift away from developing our software and to trying to establish a brokerage that vets developers and offers contract/RFP/NDA/etc support to designers and helps them get together.

There are a lot of snakes and cheats in the development world, on all sides. Tough to find good people with the expertise and follow through.
Jabe Allen
Quote:

There are a lot of snakes and cheats in the development world, on all sides. Tough to find good people with the expertise and follow through.

This is absolutely true. I can't tell you how many clients I've done work for that have wasted time and money at some point on developers or designers that either knowingly over promise, charge for things that aren't necessary, or just flat out aren't capable of providing what the client needs. There are unfortunately a lot of people that prey on the fact that most business owners don't know enough about the technical aspects of what they need.
bmks270
AG
Long term vision would be mobile and web. But right now I am thinking mobile app first because it seems untapped market. I'm thinking iOS first because I have an iPhone but ultimately want both.

I have done some programming myself but not software and interfaces. Mostly python and matlab. The concept is simple and I am considering using it to learn some more programming myself, but was curious maybe I could get like a very simplified alpha version and use as a learning base and expand it from there. Now that I think about it, I could make a text based version in python and probably help me create structure I'll need learn how to do it in swift and apply an interface?

Idea is mostly an information database:

Homepage of the app you would select a topic say topics 1-5.
On the Topic page has scroll or drop down selector to pic a sub topic (e.g. pick subtopics 1a-1z). Once subtopic is selected it just displays information.

CapCity12thMan
AG
something to think about...if you go off paying someone to develop an iOS app for you and it goes well, then you are gonna want something that works on other Android, etc. as well as a traditional web browser (possibly - making this statement not knowing what you are building). So you will need to get someone to build that. Now you have two code bases, two technologies and potentially multiple developers to deal with.

Why not just make a web app that is a responsive app, which will work on anything. You get single code base to deal with and it will work on any device that supports a web browser.

If you ask someone "can you build me a good iOS app", someone who can build it will certainly do that, but just trying to think about the bigger picture here...

Just a thought.

My caveat in the above is that I am assuming when someone says "mobile app", they mean native OS app.
Century Tree Designs
We usually don't do per hour unless its in a support role. Doing work per project makes a lot more sense usually.

As for maintaining multiple code bases, we use cordova to eliminate that problem.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.