Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Investment Opportunity- need help in price to offer on R/E passive investment

885 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Carnwellag2
cowtown ag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
All,

I have an investment question that hopefully you all can provide some guidance. I am looking at investing in a passive activity to hopefully one day help fund retirement and college expenses instead of just using my salary. Unless market changes occur, the plan is to hold this property for 25+ years.

The deal I am looking at involves around 5 acres of land with a duplex and self-storage buildings. The Seller is asking $300,000 for the property. The 5 year average (2012-2016) of net income (I have adjusted for actual costs so ignoring things like depreciation expenses, etc.) is right around $20,000 for a pre-tax ROI of 6.67%. The land is not really situated where I could sell off some of the acres to lower my buy-in costs.

My plan is to add some other passive sources of income on the property to boost earnings (more storage buildings, additional rent houses, maybe rv park since property is in tourist town, etc.) but that will require additional capital from me to produce. To me, the $300,000 price is high when just valuing the business as a going concern as a 6.67% ROI is not that exciting when considering the risk exposure of dealing with real property versus other more liquid investments. I suspect the Seller is also attributing some value to just the price of the raw land as there is certainly a salvage value in the land but to me I have never seen separate value given to the land when the land is so intertwined with the value of the business operations. I see the real estate valued separately from the operations when the real estate is truly separate from the operations which is not this case.

What all do you consider a reasonable to good ROI or cap rate on real estate investments? I certainly like this deal and might be willing to accept a little lower ROI initially as I like the concept of using this property as a platform for other investments to hopefully boost the overall return but this initial purchase still has to make sense by itself as I don't want to bank on future projects to make the deal make financial sense.

There will be a bank loan so I know my return is higher when figuring cash on cash return but eventually the note will be paid off and the property has to produce on its own without the benefit of debt to leverage up the return so that is why I am excluding debt in this analysis.

Thanks in advance.

libertyag
AG
Couple of thoughts. Why not approach the seller to sell only the acreage needed for the duplex and the storage units but sell you an option to purchase the "excess" acreage for a five or ten year period? I did that on one deal, I bought 4.9 acres and got an option on 5.1, for up to ten years, small annual payment. As it turned out, I decided after a year that I would not need the 5.1 acres and ended that part of the deal.

Before closing on the deal, be sure to check into any restrictions permit-wise for developing an RV park or more storage. Drainage in some places is a huge issue. These sorts of things can be deal killers and you wind up with land that you really can't use as you intended. I personally stay away from rent houses, but would look into RV parks, ministorage, boat storage, etc.

Best of luck to you.
Carnwellag2
If you finance it your ROI will increase to a more appealing %
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.