Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Business Mentor

2,094 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by SUorangeMAN
professionalAg06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Curious as to everyone's thoughts/opinions.

I'm a young professional that is in a mid to upper management position in a small to medium size family owned business. I've been successful over my tenure, but my strengths have been in operations and have just been moved/promoted to a business development role. Although I am excited about the challenge, I'm concerned that I don't have enough resources and guidance to really be successful. The company does not have depth in experienced leaders and I'm worried that without a little help or mentorship that I might not be successful or grow as an individual or professional.

Is there any groups or organizations that help younger people such as myself find mentors? I've tried reading up on it and most websites such as Forbes, etc. suggest looking internally to your network but I'm struggling to come up with a list. Ideally I would like it to be an Aggie, doesn't have to be in my industry or field because I'm seeking more generalized sales/business mentorship and guidance to not only help me in this new role but overall make me a better professional.

Am I overthinking this or has anyone tried to find something similar?

TIA!
cohibasymas
AG
Have you ever heard of, or considered, joining a Vistage or The Alternative Board (TAB) group? These groups are specifically designed to help you grow professionally. They're each led by a highly successful former entrepreneur/CEO, called a Chair. This person leads and facilitates the group, and helps to hold the group members accountable. Vistage and TAB originated to give CEOs/business owners a place to confide in and network with their peers. Typically a group has between 10-18 members plus the chair. You pay to be part of this group, but it can be an exceptionally rewarding experience (it certainly has been for me, as well as my CEO).

Vistage has several distinct groups. One for the CEO/Owner, another for a company's Key Executives (typically #2 person at the firm or leading a department), and Trusted Advisor ("TA") group. The TA group is often comprised of business development professionals from various channels, as all Vistage groups are category exclusive, meaning you wouldn't have 2 CEOs of midstream energy companies in the same group. \\

Where are you located? I'd be glad to have a call to discuss further. Email me kris.russell at growthforce dot com
professionalAg06
I have not heard of that, but it sounds like something I need to learn about, thanks! I'll shoot you an email this afternoon. I'm located in Houston.
JustPanda
AG
SouthTexasAg06
AG
Houston
professionalAg06
Yup. More specifically inside the loop if you're asking which part.
Madaman
I'm not in that sort of environment, but I have heard very good things about Vistage.
BO297
Score.org

One of my dads friends a retired CPA and is part of this group.
JustPanda
AG
professionalAg06
Can't pm. Any other way to contact you?
JustPanda
AG
SouthTexasAg06
AG
Mentorship program sounds intriguing...
professionalAg06
Old army outfitters at gmail

Remove the spaces

Whitehall looks promising, how do you get involved and if I'm in food manufacturing is it still a good fit?

Also would like more info on the Mays program

Thanks!
JustPanda
AG
SUorangeMAN
I was in the same exact position as you OP about 9 months ago. Best decision my CEO made was to bring on a BD coaching firm who has been instrumental in changing the trajectory of our company. I'm in NW Houston so if you're interested in talking I would be happy to discuss my experience in more detail.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.