Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Tax Question - IRS Request

7,892 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Harkrider 93
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So we did our taxes and got them in a few weeks ago. Yesterday we got a letter from the IRS requesting our 1040 forms from 2012 and 2011. The letter stated that they were withholding our return until they could review our 2012 and 2011 forms and verify we filed and we don't owe them anything.

Question is...I'm not so sure I have all those forms because they're more than 3 years back. I always thought you only had to save documents for 3 years then were clear.

I'm going to have to start digging through files tonight and see if I have them, but is this request typical and what if I can't find the forms they're looking for?
FbgTxAg
AG
How is it that the IRS doesn't have a copy of your tax returns that you filed?

I hate the IRS with every ounce of my being.
DadAG10
I thought 7 years was the time frame to keep.
The Collective
AG
It is generally 3 years, but there are exceptions. Is there something on your return this year relating back to a transaction from either of those years?
Ag_07
AG
No.

But the odd thing is that this is the first year we're actually getting money back. Funny they never asked for any of this when we were paying them, but now they're paying us and it's a big enough deal to withhold the return.

Typical IRS
DriftwoodAg
AG
have you double checked the letter to make sure it's legit? It sounds kind of fishy to me
The Collective
AG
hot_rod_9384 said:

have you double checked the letter to make sure it's legit? It sounds kind of fishy to me

I thought the same. What is the address listed for response?
lockett93
AG
Go to IRS.gov and try to access your return transcripts from 2011 and 12.

The requirement to keep them three years doesn't apply if they never got them?
combat wombat™
AG
Sounds odd to me. Double check the letter and make sure it is legit. I'm not saying it's fake, but don't get scammed.
Ag_07
AG
CJS4715 said:

hot_rod_9384 said:

I thought the same. What is the address listed for response?

Yeah I'm aware of the various IRS scams but the return address is for the Department of Treasury at some PO Box in Austin. That check out?

And looking back I did these returns on TurboTax and they have all the electronic files. Odd thing is they were both submitted and on time via Efile (I've got confirmations) but neither one was accepted by the IRS.

Guess I should just print the docs and send in? May have a tax professional look at the letter first.
libertyag
AG
In over thirty years of doing this stuff, I have never heard of anything close to this type of request. The statute of limitations has run on 2011 and 2012 unless you filed them late or understated your income by 25% or more. Have you gone to the IRS website and done the "Where's My Refund?" thing to see if they show the return in process or whatever?

I would call the number on the notice, get the person's (IRS agent supposedly") identification number and call the IRS to see if this person is actually working for the IRS.

This just doesn't sound legit.
lockett93
AG
I would not mail anything until after a phone call to 800-329-1040
Whitetail
AG
https://www.irs.gov/uac/texas-where-to-file-addresses-for-taxpayers-and-tax-professionals

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
Austin, TX 73301-0015

No PO box on the addy. Possible scam.
Whitetail
AG
http://clark.com/scams-rip-offs/warning-new-irs-scam-email-paper-mail/

Warning about Austin PO box scam.
Ag_07
AG
I don't think that's it but this is looking more and more fishy.

The address on the letterhead appears exactly as

Department of the Treasury
IRS
Austin, TX 78714-9338

Which is not listed on the addresses you linked earlier. That area code is nowhere on that webpage.

The instructions say to mail the requested documents to

IRS
Stop 5501
PO Box 149338
Austin, TX 78714-9338

Which is also nowhere on that webpage.

I'm gonna make a few phone calls tomorrow and get to the bottom of this. Thanks everyone for the info.
combat wombat™
AG
The "IRS" address on the letter head sounds fishy. I looked back at some of the correspondence I have received from the IRS... it's always "Internal Revenue Service".

Go here and go to the third box in the "if" column.
lockett93
AG
A google search of that PO box leads to the IRS manual for delinquent and return hold program at IRS.GOV.

I'd say it may be legit and they don't have your returns as filed.

FbgTxAg
AG
So you filed in 2012, owed money and sent them a check. They cashed it.

You filed in 2013, owed money and sent them a check. They cashed it.

You filed in 2014, owed money and sent them a check. They cashed it.

You filed in 2015, owed money and sent them a check. They cashed it.

You filed in 2016, and you are due a refund. They say "HEY HEY!!! We don't have your return from 4 years ago! Or from 3 years ago, for that matter!

Typical IRS willful incompetence. Truly the definition of an unaccountable bureaucracy.
combat wombat™
AG
Quote:

I've got confirmations) but neither one was accepted by the IRS.

Based upon this I wonder whether they think you didn't file them at all. However, it seems like the clock would have run out on that a while ago.

Call the IRS to find out what this is about... and then you might want to consider whether you need professional help. Because with the statute of limitations having run out for a typical audit, I wonder whether they suspect fraud. I'm not saying they do, but this seems like such a strange situation.
lockett93
AG
I don't think this is strange at all. I think they simply don't have your 2010 and 2011 returns... If you can find cancelled checks showing what you owed, you can probably reasonbly reconstruct a return to get to that number using the IRS transcripts for w2, 1099, unless your return is crazy complicated.
The Collective
AG
Does the IRS keep transcripts on returns they haven't accepted?
lockett93
AG
No, but they keep all the forms, such as w2, 1099-B, 1099-INT, 1098-T, 1098, etc.
The Collective
AG
lockett93 said:

No, but they keep all the forms, such as w2, 1099-B, 1099-INT, 1098-T, 1098, etc.

Yea, I got it....for whatever reason, your initial point went whoosh right over my head.
combat wombat™
AG
The IRS doesn't usually wait this long to ask you for a tax return that is missing.
erin2003
AG
Yes they do, especially when it's your 1st refund in a long time. Did this for a friend a while back - he started filing returns in 2004 but had income from 1998 onward. IRS would not issue his refund for 04 without getting all of the old returns.

I'm betting there was some formatting error with you 11 and 12 returns that kept them from being processed correctly. Call the service to be sure, but I think this is legit.
libertyag
AG
erin2003 said:

Yes they do, especially when it's your 1st refund in a long time. Did this for a friend a while back - he started filing returns in 2004 but had income from 1998 onward. IRS would not issue his refund for 04 without getting all of the old returns.

I'm betting there was some formatting error with you 11 and 12 returns that kept them from being processed correctly. Call the service to be sure, but I think this is legit.
No they don't, combat wombat is correct. Plus, if they don't have your old returns where you owed money, how would a refund this year alert them to old returns (they say they don't have) that showed a balance due?

If they do not have record of old returns having been filed, correspondence would have been sent long ago relative to the fact they have income reported to the taxpayers from W-2s, 1099s, etc.
gigemhilo
AG
Who prepared your 2011 and 2012? I would still have your copies if you were my client.

If turbotax, wouldnt it still be on your account as well?
CS78
3 years documentation for receipts, etc. A lifetime of returns to prove you filed.
MGS
Just tell the IRS that your hard drive crashed and you destroyed them. I'm sure they'll understand.
Harkrider 93
AG
Just had a client call and ask for her 1099s from 2011. She said that the IRS sent her a letter stating that she never filed a return for 2011.

I am somewhat shocked because this goes against what I have always heard.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.