Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Enterprising kids..need ideas

1,933 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Finding X
Sorrell Booke
How long do you want to ignore this user?

I have two kids that want to earn some money over the summer. The problem is that one is 9 and the other is 6. They are willing to work, as best as they are able. 9 year old is still a bit small to push the mower although I did purchase a kid size weedeater. He will be practicing for the next few months.

I don't want to discourage them, and I don't want to just give them money either. Preferably, they would earn the money by doing work for someone else, odd jobs and what not.

Anyone have any ideas for kids to earn money? Lemonade stands are great for one day. Any others?

TIA
DAM
AG
Dog walking, watering gardens, weed pulling, Uber.

dam
TXTransplant
My son is 12. He's been pet-sitting (cats) for a couple of neighbors pretty regularly for about a year now. It's probably a once-a-month job, but he gets paid well for it.

At Christmas time, he talked me into buying an electric power washer. All-in, with a long hose, it was about a $200 investment. He's had three jobs washing driveways/patios that paid $50-$60 each. We live in a mini-neighborhood with about 80 or 90 homes, and I used the neighborhood Facebook page to offer up his services. He's hoping to drum up more business.
Max Power
AG
Pretty sure my dad had me cutting grass by that age, so they should consider yard work.
Thriller
AG
idea stolen from the radio this morning, but have them pull in trash cans for the neighbors. $1/can
ORAggieFan
Max Power said:

Pretty sure my dad had me cutting grass by that age, so they should consider yard work.

Doing your own yard is much different.

Also, isn't this day and age I'd be scared to have a child doing something like that on my property. One accident through no fault of my own and I'm screwed.

It's really hard to think of things. It's pretty much neighbors giving charity as most things will require more oversight or rework than it is worth.
Martin Q. Blank
Pull weeds, wash cars, wash exterior house windows.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Have them do chores around the house. Vacuum, mop, clean the counters, bathrooms, etc..
Sorrell Booke
I like the dog walking idea. Weed pulling is also good.

Washing windows might be the best one, however.

Thanks and keep them coming.
sts7049
AG
when i was a kid my friend and i had a little business painting address numbers on people's curbs. not sure if that is a thing (or allowed) in your neighborhood but if it is they could have a real hold on the market!

EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
Alibaba + a website
Buy a bunch of something and let them operate a tiny business
Ragoo
AG
they need to be kids at that age. have them do extra chores around the house for some spending money.
Ulrich
At that age my brother and I were pet sitting, raking leaves, cleaning decks, picking wild blackberries to sell, mowing yards, cleaning mud/debris out of the street where water ran over in storms, and picking weeds and planting flowers. It wasn't too much longer before we were cleaning roofs and gutters.

Pet sitting is by far the best gig, but everyone wants to do that and you're also going up against pretty reasonably priced adults. Yardwork is steadier and you can undercut the pros and still make really good money.
CS78
Specialty cleaning service scrubbing baseboards.
AggieChemist
AG
When I was that age, I was paid in "BECAUSE I SAID SO".

Petrino1
I got paid to mow the yards of all my relatives with an ice cold coke.
Wife is an Aggie

Things that have not been mentioned yet I have seen in my neighborhood....

There are a couple kids that wash the large trash bins... Charge $10 a can or two for $15 i think. They could use their power washer for that.
There is one family that posts for their kids to do the "card my yard". No idea what they charge but it seems they actually get quite a bit of business. Google it and you'll see what it is.

NoahAg
It's tough finding things for kids to do without doing most of the work yourself. Especially a 6 year old. With a few exceptions, they're not going to make huge money. But the lessons you're teaching is the real payoff. Work ethic, spending/saving/giving, etc.

Some things the kids have to do because they're part of the family. Like cleaning up after themselves, putting toys away. Others I will pay them for. Taking care of the trash/recycling twice a week. Helping me with yard work.

My 11 year old started a business selling snacks and drinks at my younger one's baseball games and practices. He took out a small loan from us, paid it back, and actually makes a little cash. The neighborhood kids even come to the house now to buy stuff.

Both boys have had a good number of dog-sitting gigs. All friends so far. More lined up this summer.

At this age, you have to help them at least a little to get started. With summer coming, maybe talk to neighbors about upcoming vacations, and see if they need someone to check the mail, water plants, pet-sit, etc.

Find some friendly, old neighbors who could use help around the house.
TheMasterplan
I think you should be giving them some kind of weekly allowance and you then teach them the value of money via that way.

Let them know you're only giving it to them because they do a few things around the house etc.

They want to buy something...you have to save for it. etc.

Not a parent but just my opinion.
Josepi
AG
We have some neighborhood kids who pick up dog poop. Twice a week, $10 a week. Takes them about 5 minutes a yard. Just two kids, a bucket, and a little rake. I have no idea where they put the poop, but they probably make $100-$150 a week.
sts7049
AG
probably don't want to know
Finding X
Sit them down with a laptop and youtube and watch Gary Vee.... Then profit.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.