Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Estate planning help

3 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Satellite of Love
Satellite of Love
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My dad asked me over Easter what type of adviser he should contact for some estate planning. Quick background, my great aunt isn't doing so well these days, and she has a sizable estate that sounds like most if not all would go to my dad and his brother. He said it could be 7 to 8 figures large. What type of person should he get in contact with so that he can handle potential estate taxes or minimize them?

Any recommendations would be handy for me to pass on to him. Thanks!

Sorry, I should have stated that we are in the Houston area.

Thanks again!
Sims
AG
I don't know where he is located and if he wants to just ask questions electronically or do a face to face.

My brother does this type of planning in Hurst. He saved our family quite a bit of money when our granddaddy passed. I'm sure he would be happy to meet with you.

http://www.ameripriseadvisors.com/scott.c.byrd/profile/
cheeky
AG
A CFP can offer general guidance, but a board certified attorney in Estate and Tax (in the person's state of residency) would be the party to create the plan documents so there is no way around involving an attorney. Most folks skip the financial advisor, most of whom are not permitted to render tax or legal advise for compliance and liability reasons. Not sure how Ameriprise polices their rank and file on that issue. But any CFP would be a good place to start the conversation.
Casey TableTennis
AG
That is sad to hear, but a reality we all must face too many times in our families. Fortunately it sounds like she has had the resources to handle late in life issues more on her terms than most.

Ultimately, anything your Aunt could do at this stage to reduce potential estate tax burden (without giving away excess wealth to charity) is going to involve an estate planning attorney. Ideally estate reduction strategies would be started a few years prior to a death. If that isn't possible at this stage, it will limit strategies that could be prudently used.

It is entirely possible there isn't an estate tax issue. If the Aunt was recently widowed, or has assets out of her estate, even $10,000,000+ could pass with no further estate taxes. Exploring these and related issues is where a good CFP can be very helpful, possibly even before meeting with an attorney.

mwm
IMO, your best bet is to seek an attorney that is Board Certifed in Estate Planning & Probate Law. Search TBLS to find one near you.
dhafling
AG
I am a financial planner in the Houston area. I would recommend contacting Alisa at Rapp & Krock. Her e-mail is ahoggatt@rk-lawfirm.com.
Satellite of Love
Thank you all for the information. I will pass it along to my dad.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.