Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Vanguard

2,307 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Cyp0111
cmk10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I have about 10k in the vanguard admiral 500 and have had it in there for about 4 months but it is going down. Should I put more money in it since it is at a lower shareprice now or should I start putting money in a different fund like the Vanguard growth ETF?
WoMD
Automatically have a set transfer to purchase shares every month, forget about it, and set an alert to check back once a year.
SnowboardAg
AG
Agree - the best thing you can do is keep contributing and throw away the statements. Don't look, don't be impulsive, and just let it grow - act like it's not there.
cmk10
AG
Thanks.
John Maplethorpe
AG
It will go down, it will go up. If you stop contributing every time it starts going down you'll screw yourself.
The Wonderer
AG
View when it goes down as a good thing. You can buy more share for the same price. Just keep pumping money into it check back in 30 years.
SW-14
AG
YTD it's up about 6%, what's the problem?
bigtruckguy3500
I agree with the others here. It's called dollar cost averaging. Generally speaking, it's impossible to "beat" or predict the market. The more you try, the more like you are to just get frustrated and make costly mistakes.

I sort of do dollar cost averaging on my ETFs. If I see a dip in price around the time I'm supposed to buy, I might buy a little extra because I see it as an opportunity to buy extra stock at a lower price. Otherwise I stick to the same amount.
John Maplethorpe
AG
SW-14 said:

YTD it's up about 6%, what's the problem?
An 18% annual return isn't good enough.
Gigemags382
AG
cmk10 said:

So I have about 10k in the vanguard admiral 500 and have had it in there for about 4 months but it is going down. Should I put more money in it since it is at a lower shareprice now or should I start putting money in a different fund like the Vanguard growth ETF?
I am utterly confused by this post. In the 4 months from December 16, 2016 to April 17,2017, the VFIAX (Vanguard 500 Admiral) share price went from $209.50 to $216.97, which is 3.6% growth in 4 months - not even counting the December and March dividends which were a total of about 1%.

You must be referring to the drop from ~$221 on March 15th to the ~$217 on April 17th (it's back up to nearly $221 now on April 27th).

Anyone invested in stocks since November has seen incredible growth, and that's even after an 8 year bull market. If you're concerned about a $4 drop on shares valued at ~$220, you probably need to spend some time thinking about your risk tolerance and desired asset allocation. Don't be the one to panic sell when these shares lose 40-50% of their value over the course of a few months, which they almost certainly will at least once (most likely more) during your investment lifetime.

The forum and wiki at https://www.bogleheads.org/ has some great info about risk tolerance, asset allocation, and "staying the course".
Cyp0111
Bogleheads is good but the complete zealot nauture of indexing isn't the only avenue to building wealth
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.