Business & Investing
Sponsored by

how quickly should I move the 401k to rollover IRA post retirement?

1,007 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by canagian
90 bull
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
retiring in early May. How long should I wait to rollover to existing IRA? Main consideration is vesting calculations taking place, etc
jaggiemaggie
AG
I don't have anything because I have 20+ years left but just wanted to say Congrats!
Casey TableTennis
AG
90 bull said:

retiring in early May. How long should I wait to rollover to existing IRA? Main consideration is vesting calculations taking place, etc
Vesting is driven by your termination (by retirement) date, not when you take the funds out. I would wait at least a month, or until you confirm that the last payroll contributions have been made, before rolling the funds out. If the employer makes non-match contributions like profit sharing or other discretionary contributions, you might want to wait a year or so, so you only go through the process once.

-Casey
canagian
AG
what is the driver for rolling over? consolidate accounts? better/cheaper investment options in your IRA?
90 bull
AG
yes to both, but mainly consolidation.
canagian
AG
depends on your age. you can withdraw $ from a 401k before age 59.5 (starting at age 55) without a 10% penalty under some certain circumstances. once/if you roll over to an IRA that option goes out the window. So if you are under 60 you might want to keep it in your 401k just in case.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.