Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Graphic Design Business

968 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Rebar
ClassOf17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hey guys, first time posting in this forum so I apologize if this is not the right place or anything.

I am a graphic designer in central Texas and a huge Aggie fan; although I did not attend A&M. I'm 23 and work for a large corporate company in the marketing department. Ive been there for two years and don't see much of a chance to advance in the company as for there's only me and my supervisor at the moment.. obviously I want to hold a higher position, but more importantly, showcase my skillls that I know are great, but not needed for my current job. I've received multiple offers, one with a MLB baseball team, but turned them down because I want to start my own. So I've been brainstorming for a while now about starting my own freelance/agency firm...

I don't have anyone knowledgeable enough to guide me, and I was wondering if you guys could give me a few pointers to help set me in the right direction. I basically can make anything digitally, from sports programs, to logos, to apparel. I want to create logos and campaigns for corporate companies as well, but I understand that most would want someone a little older than me to design for them. If you have any pointers for me, I will greatly appreciate them.

Thank you all so much.

Gig em!
The Wonderer
AG
Form what I know of the marketing/design world, your portfolio is what gets you in the door unless a company is looking solely at prices.

Working for a graphic design/marketing company would probably help get your name out there a little faster with some secondary support/mentorship available for your growth.
ClassOf17
Exactly. I'm not exactly an entry level, and I'm very confident in my work. I guess what I'm asking is, does anyone have any pointers as to where to start when starting your own business?
The Wonderer
AG
ClassOf17 said:

Exactly. I'm not exactly an entry level, and I'm very confident in my work. I guess what I'm asking is, does anyone have any pointers as to where to start when starting your own business?
Develop a business growth plan and consult with a business lawyer and CPA.
Rebar
AG
We hire a lot of this kind of work out to upwork.com (there are a number of sites like this) where both new and experienced designers freelance. Great place to get started building your portfolio. The #1 key there is your portfolio so make sure to put a lot of your work up as examples. If you get starred there it will generate a lot of repeat and referral business.

You could also show some of your work here, I'm sure you would get some pretty honest feedback.
The Wonderer
AG
OP, I may be looking for some graphic design work for a new law firm in the next 3-6 months. Will definitely reach out as my transition to soloing gets closer.
jschroeder
I've hired people like yourself for small gigs many times over the years. Looking at just the online side, if it were me

1 Setup a professional looking site via Wordpress.

2 Setup Adwords to send prospective clients to my site anytime somebody is looking for work done locally.

3 Get setup with all of the big freelancing sites like Upwork, Elance, etc. If I'm not doing something at that moment, I'm scouring bids on one of those sites. When I get a job, I'm busing my rear on both the job and communication because once you find a good designer on one of those sites you keep working with them.

4 Take part in contest sites via 99Designs and Freelancer not because I want to make money off of them, but because it gives me an opportunity to expand my portfolio.
cohibasymas
AG
We're always looking for outstanding freelancers at Drip Drop Creative. If interested, please reach out to us with your portfolio to hello @ dripdropcreative dot com. Please put "TexAgs" in the subject line.
Rebar
AG
cohibasymas said:

We're always looking for outstanding freelancers at Drip Drop Creative. If interested, please reach out to us with your portfolio to hello @ dripdropcreative dot com. Please put "TexAgs" in the subject line.

That's very cool. TexAgs at work!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.