Business & Investing
Sponsored by

adoption tax credit

1,439 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AggieChemist
Tatem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
i am planning on meeting with a CPA after tax season but thought i would ask this here.
any advice on how to make the most out of the adoption tax credit for this year? we are hopefully adopting a newborn from the US in Aug. should be deduction at work be 1 or 0?
thanks..
erin2003
AG
There are 2 issues at play here:
1. Personal exemptions - $4,050 (currently, adjusts for inflation) per taxpayer/dependent included on your return, deducted from taxable income. This is not prorated if a person is part of the family for only part of the year - that is, whether you adopt on Jan. 1 or Dec. 30, you still get $4,050.

2. Adoption tax credit - a credit to your tax liability equal to a portion of your adoption expenses. This is not a refundable credit - meaning that if you owe $10k in tax but are eligible for a credit of $15k, you will only get $10k of benefit.

All that being said, I would keep your withholding higher to make sure you can maximize the benefit of the adoption credit or to cover you if (God forbid) things don't work out. Keep in mind that what you put on your W-4 is not required to match what you actually claim on your return. Definitely worth a conversation with your tax guy.

*I am a CPA, but not your CPA. Verify info with your own provider.*

Edit to mention that both of the items above have been brought up in tax reform discussions, so you may want to wait to see how that plays out before making any major changes to your withholding structure.
Tatem
thank you, erin!
Ag in tu land
AG
And there is an income limitation. I believe once your taxable married filing joint income is greater than 240k.

Fightin_Aggie
AG
Ag in tu land said:

And there is an income limitation. I believe once your taxable married filing joint income is greater than 240k.

Krap. We are looking to adopt and did not know that. Does it phase out starting there or all gone at that point?

I really hate our tax code. Really penalizes you for doing better.
Buck Compton
AG
Fightin_Aggie said:

Ag in tu land said:

Krap. We are looking to adopt and did not know that. Does it phase out starting there or all gone at that point?

I really hate our tax code. Really penalizes you for doing better.
You should see tax season if you take distributions from a partnership that does business in all 50 states. Talk about a ton of tax forms... Every state that has state income tax plus federal. Over 30% effective tax rate.
AggieChemist
AG
Good luck. It's stressful AF.

At one point in our adoption I had five different lawyers on retainer.
dallasiteinsa02
Good luck. A Pastor at our church had their son taken back by the mother after a few months. He didn't know it at the time, but she had done that with her first two kids as well. With my twins, I wouldn't have wanted someone else raising them for the first few months, but it would be nice to pick them up once they start sleeping through the night and all the initial bills are paid.
histag10
AG
Adoption is awesome and noble (I'm adopted). We have considered adoption in the future, and my parents stressed to us how crazy stressful it can be.

Good luck, and congrats!
Tatem
why?
AggieChemist
AG
Tatem said:

why?
Our Lawyer
Her Lawyer
Guardian ad litem for the child
Putative sperm donor #1's lawyer
Putative sperm donor #2's lawyer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.