Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Saw an ad for this on FBN

2,109 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by oldag00
Long Live Sully
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone familiar with YayYo.Com ?

The ad is aimed at investors for the IPO.

It makes sense that there is an aggregator for ride share comparison, but I am not sure it would be worth the effort comparing $10 rides. It makes sense with Trvavelocity and Kayak when you are spending hundreds and not tens of dollars.

On the other hand, the potential volume of transactions is attractive.

Thoughts?
themissinglink
AG
I'm not sure I see it working in the current market. I don't know that I've ever seen anyone open the uber app and open the lyft app to compare prices. The only time I've seen it happen is when comparing wait time.

In the hotel industry, you have more suppliers competing for customer business. Uber is by far the most dominate player and most markets only have one or two ride-share providers. I don't see uber playing ball with them. I think the only way they'd make money is by charging a fee on-top of the uber /lyft fee which would defeat the purpose of the app. Uber and Lyft have all the leverage right now. Because the prices aren't always fixed, I think they could have some trouble comparing users.

Also, as you mentioned, it's a $10 ride vs a $150 hotel stay.

If other rideshare apps pop up to be viable competitors, I could see something like this working, but it would take a lot of money and time to scale it up to be anywhere close to uber or lyft.
themissinglink
AG
Also, doing a quick google search, it appears there are several apps trying to do this. Also, Google maps allows you book uber rides (maybe lyft too). I would bet on Google over one of the small players.
John Maplethorpe
AG
The prices can vary by as much as 100% during surges, usually lyft is cheaper. But I don't think this is an app I would use unless there were 3 or more major ride share options.
jschroeder
They're fishing for people who want to invest in generic ride sharing stocks but don't have a way to do it otherwise.

Uber lost 3 BILLION last year, they don't have anything left to squeeze out of their drivers, can't raise their prices because of the competition in the market, and have corporate culture issues out the whazoo.

The Techcrunch Equity podcast had an interesting point when they said you don't see so many "former employees" of pre-IPO companies that are actually on an upward trajectory. There are deep, deep issues with the Uber and Lyft business models.

Stay away from anything ride share related until their bubbles pop.
tamutaylor12
Uber will always have a base of drivers that are willing to work the most profitable hours. However I think enough info will become available about the cost/benefit analysis of driving for low rates that it will hurt their driver pool. I drive in Austin, which doesn't have uber anymore, and had cut my driving down to just a few Friday nights a month. Pretty sure I would have made more at McDonalds on non-peak nights when you factor gas, wear and tear, and future taxes owed.
Football&Finance
AG
Forget the analysis of the ride sharking market and what the opportunity set is. Your first thought should be: if this is such a great opportunity, why is it being pitched via 30-second TV spot on a bottom-tier financial news channel? Huge red flag.
Long Live Sully
AG
Football&Finance said:

Forget the analysis of the ride sharking market and what the opportunity set is. Your first thought should be: if this is such a great opportunity, why is it being pitched via 30-second TV spot on a bottom-tier financial news channel? Huge red flag.

That was my first thought exactly.
themissinglink
AG
jschroeder said:

Uber lost 3 BILLION last year, they don't have anything left to squeeze out of their drivers, can't raise their prices because of the competition in the market, and have corporate culture issues out the whazoo.

The Techcrunch Equity podcast had an interesting point when they said you don't see so many "former employees" of pre-IPO companies that are actually on an upward trajectory. There are deep, deep issues with the Uber and Lyft business models.
While I would agree with you if you said Uber was likely overvalued at over $70b, I'm not sure I can agree with you that it's business model is flawed. Reporters love to throw out the $3 billion in losses, but it's impossible to have any idea what future cash flows would be without digging into more financial data.

Uber is spending money all over the place to scale up their business. Even beyond new markets, they are investing in delivery and trucking services. Their goal right now is to achieve huge growth rates in a similar manner achieved by google, facebook, and amazon (note: these are completely different businesses, but all require huge scale). These investments cost money and you would expect a company like that to be operating in the red.

Their current, primary business model is taking a cut of of a better, more convenient taxi service. Their current valuation is about 3x the current taxi market (estimated between $20-25b). This would suggest their valuation is too high, but they see themselves changing the entire $1 trillion plus transportation industry. Their long term goal is to completely displace car ownership and be the primary vehicle for your daily transportation, but that will only happen if they can utilize self driving cars to bring down the cost of ride-sharing services to be competitive with the cost of ownership. I think they will eventually get there, but how fast and what the market looks like at that point is a big question. Their delivery and trucking services could be interesting, but they are in infancy, so it's hard to say whether those will be profitable. Their are certainly lots of risks built into the huge valuation the latest round of investors are buying in at.

From a pricing perspective, there are very few players in the market. Some markets only have one alternative to a taxi. In addition, most people have a preferred ride-share app and not many compare prices. Their current price structure is meant to grow market share in most of their locations. If they achieve the massive scale they are seeking, it will be difficult to compete with them on price.

Their internal management issues do present a cause for concern and will slow their growth rate, but they have a pretty big head start in front of lyft. I would think a new management team could stop the distractions and keep uber focused on their business.

TL/DR: Valuation may be a problem but business model is not.
Football&Finance
AG
Following up w/the OP, this made an appearance in my favorite daily column. Basically, Yayyo.com is going to hide behind Reg A to legally defraud (all the risks are disclosed comically in the reg statement) IPO investors.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-04-24/board-votes-and-performance-reviews

Quote:

An IPO.
"Have you ever heard of Uber or Lyft," asks actor John O'Hurley (J. Peterman from "Seinfeld") in this television advertisement for YayYo, Inc. It's not an advertisement for YayYo's services, though. YayYo doesn't offer services. It plans to "engage in the development and eventual commercialization of one of the first metasearch 'ridesharing' applications," but so far it "remains in developmental stage," with no functional app, and has never produced any revenue. (It has, however, apparently produced a rap song advertising its app.)

No, O'Hurley is advertising YayYo's initial public offering, because that's a thing actors can do now. It's a "Regulation A+" offering under the Securities and Exchange Commission's JOBS Act rules, which allow companies to raise up to $50 million in a year without the full requirements of SEC registration.
The offering circular and investor presentation make for interesting reading. The planned app "is reliant upon securing partnership agreements with the ridesharing services" like Uber and Lyft and accessing their platforms via application program interfaces. "Many of these platforms do not offer direct or complete API access; thus, the technical barrier to entry is steep." Nonetheless YayYo projects revenue of over $30 billion by 2021. For comparison, Uber's revenue in 2016 was $6.5 billion, on $20 billion of gross bookings. (YayYo's, again, was zero.) YayYo plans to make more money by helping people comparison-shop between Uber and Lyft than people currently spend on Uber and Lyft rides, combined.

Also YayYo's chief executive officer and founder, Ramy El-Batrawi, was accused of stock manipulation by the Securities and Exchange Commission in 2006; he settled in 2010, and was barred from acting as a director or officer of a public company for five years. Well, he's back now! That 2006 SEC complaint is a fun read too; it alleged that El-Batrawi's previous scheme "resulted in the misappropriation of more than $130 million, the collapse of several broker-dealers, and the largest bailout in the history of the Securities Investor Protection Corporation." But those were simpler times. "You might never have thought that you'd be able to have a chance to invest in the new millennium movement of ridesharing," says O'Hurley in the commercial, "but with these new SEC rules it makes it possible for the little guy like you or me to buy into an IPO previously unavailable." It sure does!
oldag00
AG
Football&Finance said:

Nonetheless YayYo projects revenue of over $30 billion by 2021. For comparison, Uber's revenue in 2016 was $6.5 billion, on $20 billion of gross bookings. (YayYo's, again, was zero.) YayYo plans to make more money by helping people comparison-shop between Uber and Lyft than people currently spend on Uber and Lyft rides, combined.
Hahaha. Sounds brilliant! I may subscribe for all $50MM worth of shares.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.