Business & Investing
Sponsored by

MileagePlus X App

2,446 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by H-town ag
strohag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not sure if it has been discussed here or not however if you want extra United miles check the app out. I've picked up a couple thousand extra miles by utilizing the app for everyday purchases. Also you can double dip by using Mileage Plus shopping and paying for the items in your cart with a gift card purchased through MileagePlus X. Good example is if you shop a lot on Amazon you can buy a $100 gift card on the app which will give you your standard 100 miles on your credit card plus an extra 62 miles for using the app. I got an oil change at Jiffy lube and got 5x the miles by paying with the app. Lots of opportunity to gain miles that will add up over time. Like I said sorry if it's been talked about but google didnt show any results on here for it.
El Chupacabra
So you essentially buy a egift card every time you check out, then pay with the egift card?
strohag
AG
Correct. So far I've used Amazon, Buy Buy Baby, Jiffy Lube, Petco, and a few other places. Done online purchases and also live at the store. You can buy a gift card for exactly the price of your purchase at most stores on the app so you aren't carrying gift card balances.
bayouaggie
AG
Interesting, thanks for sharing. Do you buy the egift card when they ring you up so you have the exact amount, then hand over your phone for them to scan the egift card number? Any issues with vendors accepting the app to date? I have a Mileage Plus credit card, so does seem like an easy way to rack up some more miles.
07&09Ag
Is it just me or does this seem like a lot of work for a few extra miles.

Maybe I just don't put as much weight in mileage rewards but for me the benefit doesn't seem to outweigh the hassle If I'm having to ring up, get the price, go buy a gift card, pay with Said gift card, etc
strohag
AG
Yeah you literally just type the exact amount in and an gift card is issued. Your phone can be scanned. I've used it a ton with online purchases. There are some sites that give 2,3,4, or 5X the miles. So you can get 500 miles if you spend 100 at a store offering 5X. You also get the extra 100 miles on your statement for spending 100 on your card.
Pescado Borracho
It's really not that bad but there is a small time cost associated with it. But we're paying for plane tickets to Colorado this summer with points from this.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Depending how quick the process is, I could see it adding up. Additionally, United has some really good redemption options. If you're saving for something specific I think it could make sense.
GigemCO2008
AG
Do you think Pepsi is on sale this Week through the United App?

GiggityAg01
AG
I think they are giving bonus miles for plastic surgery too.
Aston04
AG
Thanks for sharing OP!!

Alone, this is worth it for Amazon as they don't do cashback except for selected rotating categories of random things.

I just did a tester purchase with my Amazon.com reward card from Chase (that already gives 5% back). Assuming I still get my 5% back like normal on the card (I should), then this is a little added bonus.

Quote:

Maybe I just don't put as much weight in mileage rewards but for me the benefit doesn't seem to outweigh the hassle If I'm having to ring up, get the price, go buy a gift card, pay with Said gift card, etc

As far as hassle, I won't bother doing this every time before I buy something something on Amazon. Instead I'll probably just periodically buy a $500 egift card through the app, reload my account and do it again when my account balance gets low. Not bad.

Easy way to pick up an extra 250 miles a pop (they are paying .5 United miles for dollar spent on Amazon right now) and keeps re-upping my United account with activity so the miles I have don't expire (I don't fly that often). Win-win. With how much my family shops at Amazon, this is worthwhile even at the payment rate.

strohag
AG
Perfect example of how this app pays off. Wife wanted some furniture off of Overstock. They do 5x the points. Purchased 2 each $500 gift cards which gave 5,000 bonus miles plus an extra 1,250 bonus miles. Factor in the 1,000 points you get per dollar spent on your United card and this purchase netted us 7,250 miles. Using it for Amazon and a few other stores has already netted us over 12,000 miles just on the app plus the mile per dollar used on your card. If you do a lot of online shopping this takes a few more seconds and gets your miles to add up. Also if you use UnitedPlus shopping then pay with your gift cards purchased through the app you can pretty much quadruple dip on mileage. It's not for everybody however my wife and I find it simple and an easy way to pickup extra miles.
H-town ag
AG
Pretty easy to use. Just purchased $25 for a test at Amazon and Starbucks. With a few clicks it transfers the gift cards to your Amazon and Starbucks apps.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.