Business & Investing
Sponsored by

TX 529 Plan

4,330 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TexasAggie_97
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any suggestions on where to go to set one up? I'd rather do online if there's a legitimate company offering one. Have 8 month old and another on the way so I'd like to get started ASAP. Thank you for suggestions.
Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

Have 8 month old and another on the way
damn
We decided on the Texas Tuition Promise Fund.

https://www.texastuitionpromisefund.com/content/how-it-works
JustPanda
AG
Mustang1
AG
Vanguard
Carnwellag2
You should shop around and decide on the best 529- look at Nebraska
ac04
i went vanguard. you may also consider investing in some form of birth control.
beb06
AG
I've been very happy with Utah's plan. Uesp.org
Diggity
AG
Maybe an Irish plan for those twins?
DAM
AG
I went with New York's 529.

dam
agcrock2005
AG
Lol...we've got some funny guys in here! Yeah...number two was an accident. They're (both boys) going to be 13 months apart. Going to be a **** show in our house.

In all seriousness however, anyone know of an easy place to research this topic that might have states side-by-side or something that makes this a little easier to figure out without having to get a doctorate in the subject? Thanks again for the helpful information.
Drillbit4
AG
I did the side by side comparison and Utah made the most sense for me.

Good luck, I've got 2 that are 13 months apart also. Those first 2 years are going to be brutal if you survive it.
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

Those first 2 years are going to be brutal if you survive it.
Can't even imagine.
investorAg83
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Lol...we've got some funny guys in here! Yeah...number two was an accident. They're (both boys) going to be 13 months apart. Going to be a **** show in our house.

In all seriousness however, anyone know of an easy place to research this topic that might have states side-by-side or something that makes this a little easier to figure out without having to get a doctorate in the subject? Thanks again for the helpful information.

I direct everyone to go to savingforcollege.com. Has the breakdown of every 529 plan out there.
rebel06
AG
agcrock, we have two boys that are 15 months apart and they are now almost 4 and almost 3. Certainly been some difficult days but they are best friends and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world!

By the way, we are using Utah's 529 plan. The key is to pick the best option you can find and start investing early.
SecoKid
AG
rebel06 said:

agcrock, we have two boys that are 15 months apart and they are now almost 4 and almost 3. Certainly been some difficult days but they are best friends and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world!

By the way, we are using Utah's 529 plan. The key is to pick the best option you can find and start investing early.

Great minds think alike! I have 2 boys, 4 and 2.5 and use Utah's 529.
Husky Boy Jr.
AG
http://www.clark.com/clarks-529-plan-guide
ww
AG
We have our 529s through Bank of America Merrill Lynch (I worked for the bank at the time) and have been OK with them. Setting up a recurring contribution can be a little tricky, as can 1-off contributions, but pretty easy overall.

*I have twins (boy and girl) who are almost 5. I suggest starting early and do a recurring contribution so you don't have to think about doing it each month, it just happens.
agcrock2005
AG
Thank you all very much for the input. I appreciate it and will get started on it ASAP.
howdydamnit04
AG
I have 5mo old twins. I plan on doing the Texas Tution until I get all their hours purchased then starting a 529 to pay for everything else.
agcrock2005
AG
howdydamnit04 said:

I have 5mo old twins. I plan on doing the Texas Tution until I get all their hours purchased then starting a 529 to pay for everything else.
Doesn't Texas Tuition only work for public TX schools? I want something to where if my kid gets into Vanderbilt, he's not going to turn it down because his dumbass dad only paid for his college if he went to a public school in Texas.

PS: Congrats on the twins. That sounds like a LOT of work!
howdydamnit04
AG
Twins are a lot of work... Sleep is a distant memory.

What if my child goes to a private or out of state school?
You can use the Tuition Units to help pay for tuition and required fees at all eligible Texas public schools, private or career colleges in Texas, or eligible out-of-state institutions. If your child attends a private or out of state college where tuition and required fees are not locked in, you can apply the Transfer Value of your units toward the cost of tuition and required fees. The Transfer Value of the units being redeemed will be the lesser of: 1) the costs the Tuition Units would pay at a public in-state college or university, or 2) the original purchase price of the Tuition Unit plus or minus the Plan's net investment earnings or losses on that amount.

https://www.texastuitionpromisefund.com/content/tips-tools/faqs
SW AG80
AG
I set up a 529 plan for my grandson about 2 years ago. Have a granddaughter that will come into the world this Monday. Will change, for both of them, and buy into the Texas Tuition Promise Fund instead of another 529 plan. I know it is not as good as the old Texas Tomorrow Fund, but I like the stability of it better.
JustPanda
AG
RogerEnright
Husky Boy Jr. said:

http://www.clark.com/clarks-529-plan-guide
Clark has a great writeup.
investorAg83
AG
SW AG80 said:

I set up a 529 plan for my grandson about 2 years ago. Have a granddaughter that will come into the world this Monday. Will change, for both of them, and buy into the Texas Tuition Promise Fund instead of another 529 plan. I know it is not as good as the old Texas Tomorrow Fund, but I like the stability of it better.

http://www.savingforcollege.com/grandparents/answer.php?grandparent_faq_id=10

Not a terribly big deal, but something you need to be aware of. My advice is to have parents own the 529 and have grandma and grandpa fund it.
JustPanda
AG
SW AG80
AG
Yes, I found that out the hard way after I had already set it up. Not a huge problem just had to make sure I took care of that correctly in my will. Live and learn.
Fightin_Aggie
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Quote:

Those first 2 years are going to be brutal if you survive it.
Can't even imagine.
My former coworker has 5 (five) 2 years apart - first boy, triplets then 1 more girl all within 2 years
Farmer1906
AG
Virginia's 529 plan for both my girls.
Farmer1906
AG
third coast.. said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Quote:

Have 8 month old and another on the way
damn
this happened to me too. was NOT expecting it
Shouldn't had all that bourbon.
Post removed:
by user
TexasAggie_97
AG
Carnwellag2 said:

You should shop around and decide on the best 529- look at Nebraska
I also have 529 plans with Vanguard.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.