Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Help with possible stolen Social Security Number

1,025 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by combat wombat™
aggiedaniel06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
All, I was hoping to get some advice on how to handle this situation:

I am in the process of applying for a home Loan and when the Lender pulled up my W-2 information, apparently another W-2 showed up for a company in Nebraska for income of around 52k for 2014 and 2015. They can't pull information any further back and don't see 2016 information yet. Needless to say this comes as a shock to me. Could someone please advise on how to take care of this issue with IRS and any other agencies?
The Wonderer
AG
This is not legal advice nor is there an attorney-client relationship between us. This is merely information regarding the reporting of potential identity theft.

1) Call one of the Credit Bureaus (below in blue) and place a fraud alert on your credit report. This will be good for 90 days (can extend it if/when needed). Confirm with them that they will contact the other two companies to notify them as well (they are required by federal law to do this free of charge);

Equifax 1-800-525-6285
Experian 1-888-397-3742
TransUnion 1-800-680-7289

2) Request a free credit report from whichever Credit Bureau you place the fraud alert with (also free under federal law);

3) Go to (here) and create a Federal Trade Commission Identity Theft Affidavit;

4) Contact the FBI Field Office in your city as you could be a victim of a federal crime.

You will need to bring your FTC Identity Theft Affidavit (from Step 3, above) with you to file the FBI report;

5) Contact the Social Security Administration at 800-269-0271 to report that your SSN has been used to commit identity fraud and you are the victim of identity theft (if applicable); and finally

6) Inform any and all banking institutions where you have an account that you have been the victim of identity theft and fraud.

As phone calls are the faster manner to get these reports on file, you must take diligent notes when talking with these agencies and bureaus. To ensure that you maintain all necessary information, be sure to document, at a minimum, the following information for each and every phone call you make:

*****FOR EVERY PHONE CALL MADE REGARDING THIS MATTER*****
1. Agency Name:
2. Phone number you called:
3. Date:
4. Time at beginning of call:
5. Name of Agency Rep:
6. Identification number of Agency Rep:
7. Purpose of the call:
8. Time at end of the call:

*****REQUEST AND CONFIRM THAT YOUR REQUESTED INFORMATION/REPORT/ETC. BE SENT TO YOUR HOME ADDRESS AS CONFIRMATION OF THE PHONE CALL*****

*I'm a lawyer, but not your lawyer. This is not legal advice and an attorney-client relationship does not exist between you and me*
aggiedaniel06
AG
Wonderer - Thank you so much for your response!

The company listed on the other W-2 is a Pool and Spa Installation Company out of Omaha, NE. I called the Company that was listed on the "other" W-2 and as I was explaining the situation to the person, he just hung up, which makes me think they are complicit to this Identity Theft and that this is not just a case of an Illegal Alien buying my stolen info from the black market. Since it is certain that my SS# is out there in the market, would you suggest that I hire an attorney at this stage to support me with this issue before something worse happens - like committing crimes under my SS#?
The Wonderer
AG
aggiedaniel06 said:

Wonderer - Thank you so much for your response!

The company listed on the other W-2 is a Pool and Spa Installation Company out of Omaha, NE. I called the Company that was listed on the "other" W-2 and as I was explaining the situation to the person, he just hung up, which makes me think they are complicit to this Identity Theft and that this is not just a case of an Illegal Alien buying my stolen info from the black market. Since it is certain that my SS# is out there in the market, would you suggest that I hire an attorney at this stage to support me with this issue before something worse happens - like committing crimes under my SS#?
Not really. Once you create the affidavits and reports as pointed out above, it will show your SSN as compromised.

If you do wish to, I know a very good consumer credit attorney in Houston that I can refer you to.

*I'm a lawyer, but not your lawyer. This is not legal advice and an attorney-client relationship does not exist between you and me*
DannyDuberstein
AG
He left off step #9, which is fly to Omaha and go take a dump in any demo pools/spas this company has set up in their place of business.
aggiedaniel06
AG
Wonderer, once again thanks a ton for the information! Yes, it would be great if you could give me the contact information to this lawyer.
The Wonderer
AG
aggiedaniel06 said:

Wonderer, once again thanks a ton for the information! Yes, it would be great if you could give me the contact information to this lawyer.
http://www.trevino-law.com/

Lu Ann is my go to for consumer law/debt and ID theft issues. She really knows her stuff.
combat wombat™
AG
You can get a free annual credit report online right now at annualcreditreport.com

It's supposed to be one per year, but you can pull one from each of the credit reporting agencies. So that's at least three free credit reports annually.

This is a legit, free website and you will not need to enter any credit card info.

Good luck resolving this.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.