Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Online Business

4,874 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Finding X
tyunelil
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What business could we do thoroughly online? From supply to delivery to payment. Something that business owners could do from the comfort of their homes.
Long Live Sully
AG
Do you have any female friends into making video?
combat wombat™
AG
Accounting
Post removed:
by user
HC
Essential oils
Finding X
PPC - Adwords/Bing/Facebook.
High demand and good pay!

I started part time 4-5 years ago and the last 3 years I've been making ... well... a LOT.

Low overhead - no inventory - minimal time commitment once you get it right. You just need Wifi/4G and a laptop.
Talon 07
What do you sell? Is it reselling stuff from alibaba?
hmiles619
AG
Hey Find X,
Any resources that you'd point at to gain some insight into this business? Books? Websites?
Finding X
There are quite a few books out there that are very good. I got started with "Ultimate guide to adwords"... or something like that. Then there are some more advanced books along those same lines. Author is Perry Marshall and he has a lot of blog articles that are good too.

Books are pretty much out of date before they hit the bookstore but they're still useful.

I specialize in 1 segments and focus on being the best at it... Then I keep my management fee relatively low and work on volume. I charge 75-100 a month flat rate with a 75 set up fee.

I take care of the a math tutoring franchise where I am also an owner, so it's be a very good networking and distribution channel... And I've developed a good campaign set for weight-loss/ beauty spas as well but I've not cut that one loose. I've had many opportunities to take on other business's but I don't need to.. But there are 100's or 1000's of industry segments that you can specialize in to do the same thing. I like the small regional business owners... Contractors - Dentist - Salons - Lawn care - TON's of small business's!

I work with about 400 accounts and it's just me and 1 other part time assistant that is good at writing adwords rules and scripts to help automate the management process.. My kids help me do updates if I have a lot of repetitive data entry from time to time (Teens jump at the chance to make 15-20 per hour!)... You can do the math - I keep 90+% in Profit.

I've had business where I generate a LOT in revenue - but you have such small margins that you wonder why you even bother... I've had business that were also very healthy but you have to deal with a lot of employees, high rent, and blah blah blah... but this one was started by accident and has grown to a point that I can't even believe.

There is a pretty good learning curve but get the book and find someone with a business that you start an ppc program for and can learn on... Don't charge them a mgt fee and just watch it closely... start with a small monthly budget and increase as you get the hang of it. It will help both of you in the long run and you can use that as a launching point to get more clients.

Trust me when I say - If I can do it... Anyone can. I only knew that I needed to be using ppc for my business when I began so I had ZERO knowledge about this before picking up a book. I turned ppc itself into a business after doing it for myself for about a year.... That was 5 years ago.
tmtxco
AG
We have a company (Aggie 100 several years) that has two divisions that are solely online. All of our employees work remotely and our only physical assets are a couple of laptops and tradeshow booths. The divisions serve the same industry, so we do extensive cross-promotion between the two.

The first is a niche, subscription-based software. It's a web-based application that I wrote and continue to maintain. Customers pay anywhere from $10 to $100/month.

The second is a collection of niche e-commerce stores. These are dropship stores where a customer buys the product from us, we submit the order to the manufacturer, the manufacturer ships the item, then the manufacturer bills us at our cost. Customers spend anywhere from $10 to $10k+. The margins are a lot lower than the SaaS, however, it doesn't require the level of technical expertise to develop and support.

Online can be very competitive and is a winner-take-most market, however, it can be very rewarding financially and personally.
Sling Blade
AG
Similar to Find X, I have a agency that focuses on Direct Response Advertising with Facebook Ads. I have a few accounts along with 1 employee.

I'm trying to work into getting some larger accounts and franchises. There are a lot of businesses that know they need to do something, but try to avoid this area. If you can get in front of them and educate them on the process and how much money you can make them, it becomes an easy sell.
Finding X
Sling Blade - I'm working on expanding my offer with FB. Email me what you're doing and let's talk. I have had a vision for how this can be set up as a set and forget(ish) type of system but I just don't have the personal bandwidth to roll it out.
I just built a typeform product for my current customers that is converting web traffic at over 20% where it was 2%... So I'm crazy busy now and making more $$! But I have demand for FB from my clients and need to fill it or they will go somewhere else. Not any emergency but it's on my radar.

Email is james DOT speer AT mathnasium DOT com
WaynerAg03
Find X, or Slingblade, or anybody else in this realm, would y'all be interested in meeting for lunch or a few beers to network, chat, maybe help educate somebody on this topic? Interesting concept. Advertising was something I always figured was for "marketing types", whatever that means. But maybe not.
Madaman
Find X said:

I charge 75-100 a month flat rate with a 75 set up fee.

I work with about 400 accounts and it's just me and 1 other part time assistant that is good at writing adwords rules and scripts to help automate the management process.. My kids help me do updates if I have a lot of repetitive data entry from time to time (Teens jump at the chance to make 15-20 per hour!)... You can do the math - I keep 90+% in Profit.

That's the kind of dough you can retire on in 5 years or less.
Finding X
Hey WaynerAg3 - sure.
My email is right above your post. Let me know when your in town and we can get together to chat.
Sling Blade
AG
Sure! I'm in Dallas.

ralex at Innovate Fast dot com
-Robin
jonj101
Sling Blade and Find X, if you don't mind I'd like to reach out to yall as well. Many times I've heard of PPC and even SEO over the past few years, but I didn't pay any attention to it because I'm one of those weirdos that only looks specifically for what I want online and avoid clicking Ads. I clearly didn't assign enough value to it.

I just purchased the Perry Marshall book that was recommended and started into it. I'd like to network and learn more. I'm in the Houston area, but I'm occasionally in Dallas as well. Thanks for the insight.
Sling Blade
AG
sure, send me an email!

I spoke to Find X yesterday, and he is a great resource with AdWords!
Harkrider 93
AG
My 79 yr old dad was asking me about adwords recently.

I figured it was some hoax (his company he wants to learn from may be).

My dad is intelligent, but does have the beginnings of dementia. He has had a hard time getting simple tasks completed, but that is mostly due to procrastination.

He mentioned that he really wants to make some money so my mom won't have to work anymore. He sounds sincere.

Would you recommend this to someone like that? It seems like it would be way too difficult for him to understand. Also, I am not sure he is driven enough.
Texags84
AG
Just stumbled on thread and info is very interesting. I am heading out to get the Ultimate Guide to Google AdWords: How to Access 1 Billion People in 10 Minutes. I need to build something online and grow over the next few years. Hopefully I can engage others on suggestions after I get some education. Also see there is book for Facebook so will probably pick that up after first read complete.
Solo Tetherball Champ
Find X,

I've been working as an SEM Manager for the past few years and I have bounced around at a couple of different agencies, on the hunt for more money and better working environments. I've always toyed around with the idea of going out on my own, but I've never made the jump. Lately, as I've been looking down my career path I have noticed that there is not a whole lot of salary growth potential once you reach a particular level. When I look at the total MRR that I am responsible for vs the (comparable) pittance that I'm paid, it starts to look real attractive to step out and go at it by me for me.

If you don't mind me asking, how exactly did you make the jump to doing this all yourself? How do you acquire new business? What tools do you use for tracking, reporting, etc? What automation tools do you use?
Texags84
AG
Find X....you around?
Finding X
Solo Tetherball Champ said:

Find X,

I've been working as an SEM Manager for the past few years and I have bounced around at a couple of different agencies, on the hunt for more money and better working environments. I've always toyed around with the idea of going out on my own, but I've never made the jump. Lately, as I've been looking down my career path I have noticed that there is not a whole lot of salary growth potential once you reach a particular level. When I look at the total MRR that I am responsible for vs the (comparable) pittance that I'm paid, it starts to look real attractive to step out and go at it by me for me.

If you don't mind me asking, how exactly did you make the jump to doing this all yourself? How do you acquire new business? What tools do you use for tracking, reporting, etc? What automation tools do you use?

Hi Solo!
I was told early on (when I was 17) that if I was signing the back of checks, I'd always be frustrated! They were right - I feel like I'm suffocating when I work a 9 to 5 job. Not that there is anything wrong with it - it's just an opportunity for me to save up for my next start up! I'm a serial business owner... I've failed at a BUNCH - sold 1 - have 4 now and buying 2 more. I'm just wired to work for myself so any answers I give on from that point of view. I have quite a few people that work for me and I totally respect them and I'm thankful for them.

When I open the first location for this franchisee biz 6 years ago I quickly recognized that all the rules for advertising and growing a business effectively had changed. Technology had completely changed our buying process. Think about this - You have a pipe break in your home... What are you going to do? If you're a DIY'er - you'll fix it. If not your going to find someone that can - How? Internet! Search!
So being able to read that - It took me about 5 minutes (because I'm a little slow) to know I needed to be advertising on the wwwebs. I was part of a franchise group so at the time I had 250 other owners I could ask "who to use?" They said that everyone sucked and no one was getting results... So why would I want to through money at something I was going to be pizzed about too? That's what led me to learn about Adwords PPC SEM etc...

I didn't set out to acquire new business.. I didn't even set out to build it as a business! I totally backed into it! I literally still don't have a website or even my own email. The name of the business is my name! So it's not an intentional start up. I had 1 guy tell me to manage his account after I failed to teach him how to manage his own... Then he told a guy that told a guy... and on and on. It came at me to hard and fast that I was reacting.

Since I'm in one lane - working only with fellow franchisee's - It's a unique situation. I understand that people don't know carp about PPC/SEM/Adwords blah blah... So I didn't worry with reporting. I ran them just like I ran my own accounts. I created them an account and then put them on it - told them to fill out the billing - don't touch anything - and then I went to work! If they wanted to know what was going on - Call me!
That worked for 6 years.

Now I'm just now rolling out a tracking/reporting program using Whatconverts. It's an all in one kind of set up and not my first choice but working with a franchise, you have to be able to adjust. I literally build everything I have without Google analytics - Tracking - Reporting for this long. Not because I didn't want it - but because the franchisor limited me. I still got great results! (compared to 5 or 6 other vendors that came and went for Corp) I still delivered but it was because I KNEW the clientele! I was growing my own business and testing on it and then adjusting everyone else's when I found things that worked better.

I've finally started to look at other industries (I got soft... Or smart - not sure) to diversify. Being 100% in one Franchise makes things volatile so I'm adjusting.

Now, I eating my own dog food here... I'm working with a company for FREE. I'm working my face off to get them results! When I have a solid program that I think can translate around the country - I can then package and scale it the exact same way! How many construction co's are in the avg city? Exactly! How many need to do 5-6 more estimates/bids a month? Each job they win earns big money so it's work 100-200 a month. Do that 50 or 100 more times and you have a good income. Rinse and repeat.

Sorry Texasag84 - I'm adding a couple more locations to my franchise biz and with all that's going ... it's consuming! Plus I've been adding 4-6 new accounts a week and raising a 2 yr old boy.
Texags84
AG
Hi Find X, Very interesting information and looks like you have many irons in the fire. I would like to get your thoughts at a later time as I get into doing something on the side like you started. I need to educate myself first since I have no experience in the area but sounds interesting. thanks
WaynerAg03
So how many small ag SEM agency firms is this post going to create?!
Texaggie7nine
When I bought The Ultimate Guide to Google Adwords on Amazon I got a free membership to Perry Marshall's website and newsletter. Pretty nifty.
7nine
Solo Tetherball Champ
WaynerAg03 said:

I'm always considering that option. The main trouble is getting the leads to create your own business. As you can imagine, advertising for an online advertising business is incredibly expensive, so expensive that most small and even midsized business don't even try. They typically rely on either referrals or a sales team to bring them business.

As a sole proprietor, you'd either have to go out and generate business yourself or rely on friends and family to funnel business to you. Once you've done a good enough job for your existing clients, you then have to hop that you'll receive referral business from there.

While I'm happy for Find X, I don't see that as a repeatable business model - he essentially has a market segment that he has the inside track on as a fellow franchiser. However, that has opened the door to him to start working in other verticals, which is fantastic for him.

Find X, I'm in the DFW area. Would you mind setting some time aside to meet with me? I'm looking at new opportunities because the agency that I'm at is in a little bit of turmoil and I want to make more local contacts (trouble with primarily working remotely is that you're cut off from the local scene) and I'd also love to hear more about your story.

If you'd like to meet, let me know and I'll email you at the address you posted above.
Finding X
Solo Tetherball Champ said:

WaynerAg03 said:

I'm always considering that option. The main trouble is getting the leads to create your own business. As you can imagine, advertising for an online advertising business is incredibly expensive, so expensive that most small and even midsized business don't even try. They typically rely on either referrals or a sales team to bring them business.

As a sole proprietor, you'd either have to go out and generate business yourself or rely on friends and family to funnel business to you. Once you've done a good enough job for your existing clients, you then have to hop that you'll receive referral business from there.

While I'm happy for Find X, I don't see that as a repeatable business model - he essentially has a market segment that he has the inside track on as a fellow franchiser. However, that has opened the door to him to start working in other verticals, which is fantastic for him.

Find X, I'm in the DFW area. Would you mind setting some time aside to meet with me? I'm looking at new opportunities because the agency that I'm at is in a little bit of turmoil and I want to make more local contacts (trouble with primarily working remotely is that you're cut off from the local scene) and I'd also love to hear more about your story.

If you'd like to meet, let me know and I'll email you at the address you posted above.
Keep in mind I started very slowly. I didn't set out to conquer the world. I'd have been very frustrated and disappointed.
I'm on both sides of the equation -- A business owner in a traditional brick and mortar business facing all of the normal challenges of growing and expanding the business, so I'm familiar with the marketing and advertising costs for both online and traditional mediums. And I'm a digital advertiser, so I get to see things from that prospective as well. Generating business leads solve most problems you face... except staffing!

If you're in business - You have to advertise. Or you will fail. You either spend your time out there pounding the streets and shaking hands... or you spend money to let it work for you. As a business owner, you can't waste either one. It's the oxygen for your business.

My last business was build on half a shoe string budget because I only had 2000 (borrowed) to start it up out of my garage... I printed up flyers and had a goal of talking to 100 people a day. It worked because I hustled my face off! But that's not very scaleable. It took me 2 years to make a profit over my living expenses and biz expenses. I continued to market that way for 3 years and then started to spend money to advertise. This was before I knew anything about the internet. For the last 5 years I owned that business it grew through referrals alone but I had to lay a strong foundation for that to happen.

If I sit back and study that and ask if it's possible to do it today... Sure! But - is it the "best way" with the internet and a cell phone in everyone's hands?? Nope! In fact it's a recipe for staying small because it's small thinking.

In a traditional B&M business - relying on referrals too early to maintain and grow a business is not a good strategy. Referrals are icing on the cake and they take a long time to cultivate through great customer service and trust. In fact I would say that a business should never have to rely on referrals to grow.
Having a sales team is also extremely expensive! Dollar for dollar - SEM and a great website pays a great ROI. Social media/content marketing has a great ROI as well. Thinking it's too expensive is the wrong point of view. I was able to grow my SEM business 100% through referrals - but you have to remember that I already had a business that was making a living for my family and wasn't trying to make SEM my primary revenue source. It only happened because of a lot of patience and great customer service.

Yes, I did have an inside track from fellow franchisee's... no question. But I had to show value to earn those referrals and gain their trust. I can build the same value through another franchise network as well... Or just through specific industry segments. It would be difficult to recreate what I've done, but mainly because of the time frame and my business style.

If I were to set out to create a digital marketing agency, in 6 years I'd want to be generating $5-10M a year in revenue and have a full staff of agents. I would build it much differently than I grew my current business.

My point with suggesting this option to this group was to answer the OP on what business could be started and run from home completely using the internet. It's a great secondary income. I can't advise on how to build a full on digital agency start up because that's not what I did.

Solo - if your ever in aggieland - hit me up. I'm usually around and love to talk shop. I'll be pretty busy over the next few months with the 2 new franchise locations I just closed on, but if I'm around we can chat.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.