Business & Investing
Sponsored by

OXY and XOM -- look to be good buys, thoughts??

2,139 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by YouBet
Aggzwin00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
anyone have any insight into the petroleum industries, these look like good buys to me
OilAggie
AG
Oxy is the only company who's stock hasnt gone up with the oil price.... so theres that...
OilAggie
AG
An interesting chart.

Aggzwin00
i ask because i just picked up a check from a older guy whos roof we did and he does investments as a occupation...he told me there were some great buys out there in petroleum right now and specifically cited those, checked them out and they look appealing
Petrino1
Both seem to be pretty cheap right now from their all time highs, and pay a nice dividend. I bought some shares of both yesterday. I think now is a good time to buy both, but you're basically betting/hoping that the price of oil goes up to $60-70 sometime in the next year or two.
SnowboardAg
AG
OXY is a better buy in my mind than XOM.

OXY is really at a critical support level and could go down to as low as 58. It is facing strong headwinds though around 78.

XOM has a higher likelihood of going down to 71-73, but faces stronger headwinds around 90.

Because of the greater potential of OXY, I would choose that over XOM today.

I also would place no bets on oil being 60-70 anytime soon.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Quote:

also would place no bets on oil being 60-70 anytime soon.

This cannot be stressed enough. If your investment strategies are based on the thought that oil will be back in the 60s and 70s anytime soon, you should rethink your strategies. It's already proven that sustaining above $50 for a prolonged period of time is seeing resistance.
CoachFisher
AG
Every time someone buys SPY or VOO think how much goes to XOM... I was raised to never sell XOM, but the economics of it just don't make sense.. once the ETFs start selling off that XOM is going to fall out like a shelter in Nagasaki.

Why would you buy so close to the top when CL1 is a third of its all time high? Just saying...
aTm2004
AG
Don't know about now, but bought a ton of XOM after the Deepwater Horizon disaster and a lot of oil stocks took a hit. I got them when it was around the mid-50's and sold in the 90's. I miss being single and being able to take a chance on something with money sitting around.
YouBet
AG
Historically, XOM has been one of the best stocks I've ever owned. Back when companies did splits it would get to around 80 and split and I would immediately buy at 40. Still sitting on all of that. Probably should have sold it before now.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.