Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Best Reward Credit Cards

4,617 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Duncan Idaho
SouthernRaisedYankee
How long do you want to ignore this user?

I'm looking at getting a new credit card seeing as I have some big expenses coming up in the next couple of months. I have ability to pay for everything, but was looking for an opportunity to gain some bonus points with a new card if you spend x amount in the first x months. Any recommendations B&I board for best reward credit cards?

Thanks in advance!
M.C. Swag
AG
https://texags.com/forums/57/topics/2772488
MGS
Just missed the CSR 100k point deal.
DallasAggie0
Yea you missed the cutoff by three days
M.C. Swag
AG
I still think CSR is the best travel card out there.
Petrino1
My favorites are the Barclays Arrival and Venture. Both offer 2x points on all purchases, redeemable for travel. They both have good sign up bonuses going on right now. Chase Sapphire Preferred is also a good one for travel, but is not 2x points for every purchase.

However, if you always fly a specific airline, or live in a city with a huge airline hub, then it makes sense to get that specific airline's card (Southwest, United, American).
M.C. Swag
AG
ea1060 said:

My favorites are the Barclays Arrival and Venture. Both offer 2x points on all purchases, redeemable for travel. They both have good sign up bonuses going on right now. Chase Sapphire Preferred is also a good one for travel, but is not 2x points for every purchase.

However, if you always fly a specific airline, or live in a city with a huge airline hub, then it makes sense to get that specific airline's card (Southwest, United, American).
They don't offer 2x for any purchases, but they do offer 3x on any travel related or restaurant purchases (this includes Uber, parking lots, coffee shops, etc.) As someone who has to utilize public transit everyday for work with a cup of coffee and buys lunch everyday, these points add up quick. They also offer $300 travel credit and the points are transferable to a litany of airlines and hotels.

DO NOT sign up for American's reward card. It's awful. They only offer 2x points on airline purchases and they can only be redeemed through american. I had the card for over a year and it sucks. Might be the worst card I've ever had.

As is the case with most things, the type of card you should get depends on your spending habits and overall goals. For me, the CSR is the best because of the points flexibility and emphasis on travel/food expenses. (For some people, Gas and Groceries might be the better route)
awesome sauce
AG
I've had a bunch of reward cards and will sign up when I see a bonus offer, but I usually just spend what it takes to get the bonus. For everything else I use the Citi Double Cash back card. It's simple. No categories. Just 2% cash back on everything.

Over time, I feel the cash is better than the points for me. $25k equals +/- 1 ticket or $500 cash back and I can generally get a ticket cheaper than $500. For ones I can't (like international flights) I already have a large reserve of points from work travel and bonus offers mentioned above.
http://www.alliantcreditunion.org/bank/visa-signature-card

3% cash back your first year and 2.5% after that.
awesome sauce
AG
26.2 said:

Thanks. Looks good. Right in my wheelhouse. I'll have to check it out.
malenurse
AG
AMEX Blue Cash Reward is my go to.
6% cash back on groceries, 3% on fuel, 1% on everything else

I also use Chase for all travel expenses
howdydamnit04
AG
We have 4 months old twins and are Amazon addicts so we have the Amazon Prime Visa card. 5% back on everything Amazon, 2% on restaurant, drugstores, and gas stations, 1% on everything else. Since the bulk of our cash is going to diapers and formulas and Amazon already has the best prices we are doing pretty good with them.
Roger That
AG
https://www.usaa.com/inet/wc/bank_cc_limitless_cashback_visa_signature

2.5% on everything, just need to use the bank and direct deposit $1k a month
aTm_bomb
AG
Boom. Approved. Been waiting for this pilot program to come available. Probably will stop using blue cash preferred and citi double cash cards entirely.
InMyOpinion
howdydamnit04 said:

We have 4 months old twins and are Amazon addicts so we have the Amazon Prime Visa card. 5% back on everything Amazon, 2% on restaurant, drugstores, and gas stations, 1% on everything else. Since the bulk of our cash is going to diapers and formulas and Amazon already has the best prices we are doing pretty good with them.

After looking at how much we spent last year on Amazon purchases we switched to using it. The 5% adds up quickly.
Aggie09Derek
AG
awesome sauce said:

26.2 said:

What's the catch? Seems crazy high and not even a fee in first year and small one after that. What's stopping someone who spends hundreds of thousands a year using this?
Brad_97
AG
If you're ineligible for some of the sign-up rewards due to sign-ups in the last two years Costco Visa is a great card. Surprised not more love for it here.

4% back on gas anywhere (not just at costco) for the first $7k per year (1% after that)
3% on restaurants and travel purchases
2% on all Costco purchases
1% on everything else

Great card for anyone that drives / travels and eats out a lot. No annual fee so long as you have a Costco membership.

Cash back via a certificate you take to Costco.
awesome sauce
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

awesome sauce said:

26.2 said:

What's the catch? Seems crazy high and not even a fee in first year and small one after that. What's stopping someone who spends hundreds of thousands a year using this?

I'm not certain, but it appears you need to be a member of Alliant credit union which requires being an employee or member of various organizations.
awesome sauce
AG
USAA also has requirements to be a member . . . need to be military or family of military.
rodan85
AG
awesome sauce said:

Aggie09Derek said:

awesome sauce said:

26.2 said:

I'm not certain, but it appears you need to be a member of Alliant credit union which requires being an employee or member of various organizations.
You can join the Freelancers Union for free and are then eligible to be a member of the credit union:

https://www.freelancersunion.org/registration/signup/
fourth deck
AG
rodan85 said:

USAA bank products do not require Military tie-in like the insurance does.
I think they had a window of a few years where they opened the bank up to the general public, but not anymore.
rodan85
AG
Duncan Idaho
rodan85 said:

I stand corrected. I was not aware of the change

https://communities.usaa.com/t5/Other/USAA-Changes-Membership-Eligibility/td-p/26786

Good usaa went to complete **** when they opened it up.
FTAC2011
AG
Anything good out there?

I'm thinking about getting the Marriott rewards credit card but the sign up bonus is 80k points. I know it has been 100k even very recently. Did I miss the boat on that one or do they bring back 100k often?
IrishTxAggie
AG
They'll bring it back. Just a matter of checking the website every so often.
Leander - Ag
AG
CSR
IrishTxAggie
AG
I travel domestically and internationally A LOT. I have the AMEX Platinum. Perks and luxuries wise, it's the best thing ever to me.

$550 Annual fee
Benefits
$200 Uber credit/yr
$200 Airline credit
Lounge access. Not just the AMEX lounges, but all lounges associated with Priority Pass
Gold Status at Hilton and SPG. SPG in turn should you Gold at Marriott too
5x AMEX points on airline purchases. Several airlines have a 1:1 transfer. Sometimes a 1:1.2

Just to name a few of the reasons I like it
Duncan Idaho
Just found out that the priority club at DFW changes sizes during the day.

Until noon it is one of the larger international lounges.
From noon - 4 pm it is about the size of a dorm room.

From 4-close it goes back to a bigger room
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.