Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Owning/Operating a Dog Boarding Kennel

2,109 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jfbdvm
AgEng06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone here own or operate a dog boarding kennel?

My wife and I are tossing around the idea of purchasing an existing business close to us, but don't have any experience with running a kennel. On first thought (which I'm sure is wrong), it doesn't seem that bad, but are they any pitfalls or big issues these businesses face? Any advice/information would be appreciated.
AgEng06
AG
Additionally, any advice related to owning your own small business would be appreciated...
IrishTxAggie
AG
Squirrel over on the GB does dog training. She may have some insight on the kennel idea.
AgEng06
AG
Yeah, I figured that, but didn't want to post over there yet w/ all those yahoos.
Ragoo
AG
i imagine insurance is probably you biggest issue. dogs of all different sizes and demeanor around each other. unknown illnesses. fleas, ticks, etc.
diehard03
My only experience is with a kennel as a part of a vet clinic. It was ultimately a pain in the ass because it was a "vacation time" business. You were busy anytime there was a vacation window during the year. If you wanted to go on vacation like everyone else, you had to be comfortable with how you ran the operation while away.

This may not be a big deal for you in particular, however.
SparkE
That would be great for folks without kids that travel in the off season...
Al Bula
AG
Disclaimer: I am a dog lover and worked at a kennel in high school.

Everything you own will begin to smell like some variation of dog.

Wet dog, shampooed dog, disinfected dog, outside dog, sick dog, etc. The worst is dog smell plus bleach.

If you're a hands off owner who isn't involved in the day to day operations, it might be better.
Oyster DuPree
AG
Everyone I've known that's worked at a dog kennel has been a real BASSET CASE, lol
752bro4
AG
Oyster DuPree said:

Everyone I've known that's worked at a dog kennel has been a real BASSET CASE, lol
Perhaps they should review their LAB work for a diagnosis? Maybe they need a CAT scan?

But to answer fully - my wife owns her own vet clinic. They do overnight boarding for clients (+/- 20 spots), but no daycare. She wants no part in the daycare business right now, it's just too much of a pain in the ass, it's beginning to get over saturated, and the capital investment required would be better positioned for another clinic versus a daycare.

If she had to do it all over again, she would have incorporated it into her clinic to start, but her square footage now just doesn't allow it. Also there isn't a vacancy near enough to her keep her close enough to both the clinic and daycare.
IslandAg76
AG
It has recently become a business where you can charge enough to make some money but it is a PERSONAL SERVICE business and all that means. The more service you can provide the more you can make--but you need to be in an area where the clients can/will pay.
There are some upscale boarding kennels with TV's, beds and cameras so the owner can log in and see Precious having a great time! A cage is no longer adequate...need some yard areas for exercise, "play time".

Dogs don't defecate/urinate on a schedule...many seem to go right AFTER a walk and immediately before the owner arrives.

Anything that happens to the dog within 2 weeks of being at your kennel will be your fault.

It is a 24hour a day 7 day a week business.

Dogs have to go home clean, smelling good, uninjured and disease free.
Constant cleaning.
Also have to be able to "upsell" to make money...have a basic boarding fee but then have upscale accommodations available, extra playtimes, special treats and diets.
Not all the dogs are "nice".
You will have to hire people...some will be good and some will seem like they are on a mission to kill your business.

You will have to insure there is NO WAY a dog can escape.

I think I would rather have a dairy
NoahAg
If you ask me for advice, you're barking up the wrong tree. But others on here may be able to throw you a bone. All I know is, jumping into a new business with little personal expertise can be ruff.
Post removed:
by user
jfbdvm
AG
Isn't that the truth. Would not want a dairy either.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.