Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Mattress Store Investment

6,172 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Fightin_Aggie
texagvet95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Should my retirement plan include opening up a mattress store??
Ag13
AG
Quote:

This is a great lurker post haha

As far as your question goes...I have no idea
FriendlyAg
Hah. Great post as a rook.
texagvet95
No so fast my friends. Do a quick google search on this topic and start planning an exit strategy from your day job!! Brother in law is fixing to bank it!!
wheelskjm
AG
Jesus there's like 3 stores that popped up in our little town last year.
ORAggieFan
Not an area I'd be looking to get into. Online mattress sales are continuing to take market share.

I'd go more of a service provider route, car wash, dry cleaners, etc. over the next market dead due to online cutting out the middle man.
Vernada
AG
With all the online options, there is no way I ever set foot in a mattress store again.
TxAg20
AG
What is causing the mattress boom? We've had several mattress stores pop up in the last few years in my town of ~100,000 people as well. A couple of years ago I was driving down I-45 near Conroe and there was probably a mattress store every mile on the access road.
NoahAg
I just don't get the economics of it, but I would love to know if there are any "experts" around. It's not just the number of stores popping up; it's the high dollar real estate where they're located.

In 14+ years of marriage, we have bought 1 mattress for ourselves, and 1 for each of our kids. It's just not a product that you purchase often. The markup must be insane, because I don't imagine that each store could be moving tons of inventory each week.
chris1515
AG
Why are there so many mattress stores?

Aggie09Derek
AG
Freakonomics did a podcast on it:

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/mattress-store-bubble/
texagvet95
People want to lay on it, touch it and feel it before they buy it. I disagree with online killing the middleman in this industry. Why so many stores?? That is why. Do some reading online in regards to this start-up. Mark-up on mattresses is like non other (800-900%). With a mark up like that how many would you have to sell a week to live comfortably. Answer: Not much. Not a bad option as an investment or to become your own boss. Can also take a hell of nap during the slow times!!
NoahAg
Quote:

People want to lay on it, touch it and feel it before they buy it. I disagree with online killing the middleman in this industry.
Online may not kill it, but it could certainly impact it. Maybe not imminently, but it is possible. 20 years ago, who would have thought buying TVs online would be popular?

We're to a point where most things can be bought online. Look at Warby Parker and the eyeglass industry. A very short time ago, no one was buying glasses online, but they figured it out. Of course, mattress shipping is a lot different than eyeglass shipping; hence, the existence of brick and mortar stores. But I think it can, and will, be done.
ebdb_bnb
I'm sorry, but you would be a damn fool to buy a mattress without ever laying on it.
Duncan Idaho
Aggie09Derek said:

Freakonomics did a podcast on it:

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/mattress-store-bubble/

I was just going to link this
NoahAg
ebdb_bnb said:

I'm sorry, but you would be a damn fool to buy a mattress without ever laying on it.
What if it was half the price, and you could return it if you didn't like it?
El Chupacabra
ebdb_bnb said:

We bought a mattress 6 months or so ago. We ent to mattress stores to test them out...then bought the same thing online for about $1400 less.
texagvet95
Apparently no one wants to get rich quick or quit their day job and be their own boss!
wessimo
AG
I'd rather stick my cash under my own mattress. I get that people want to try before buying, but that does not mean there need to be as many mattress stores as Starbucks locations. I predict a bust in that business model.
jpc08
AG
ebdb_bnb said:

You would think the same thing with eyeglasses and shoes, who would ever buy those online? But look at how successful Warby Parker and Zappos have become. Not saying there's not a place for Lenscrafters or Payless, but I would rather be involved with the former.

Casper and the many other online mattress startups will continue to take market share from brick & mortars. Free returns and 100 night trial periods are the norm and making it very easy to shop for mattresses online. Lower overhead costs keep the prices down. I know our next mattress purchase will be from an online retailer.
Shiner Bock
AG
ebdb_bnb said:

We initially ordered a mattress online from tuft and needle with the 100 day test. Decided about a month in we wanted to try a Casper. Ordered it and liked it immediately. Sent tuft and needle back for full refund. Very happy with our purchase. Easy return policy. Saved hundreds of dollars compared to a brick and mortar store.
DallasAggie0
I've seen quite a few mattress store leases and they are insane. Those things must be making pure cash to pay those rates.
ORAggieFan
ebdb_bnb said:

Lie on it and buy without sleeping on it or sleep on it for 100 days with option for full refund?

We bought a Leesa online and after a few months it was good but not great. Returned and got Loom and Leaf and love it.
CoachFisher
AG
This topic is sleepy...
Post removed:
by user
Serotonin
AG
"Trying" a mattress at a store is a complete waste of time. Even if you lie on it for 20 minutes straight no way you can tell how your back and body will feel after sleeping on it all night.

Not only that but (at the markups referenced above in this thread) you could buy 4 or 5 mattresses online and be so lazy as to not even ship them back and still save money over buying one mattress in a store.

Lastly, you get tons of reviews on the online mattresses from real buyers. With the stores, good luck figuring out what people think of a mattress because the companies change the names and brands of the same models.

In short, if there is a way to short the physical mattress stores let me know.
Oyster DuPree
AG
texagvet95 said:

Should my retirement plan include opening up a mattress store??

Sounds like a big decision. Maybe you should sleep on it, lol
dreyOO
I've never considered buying online before this thread.

Who do yall recommend?
Guitarsoup
AG
dreyOO said:

I've never considered buying online before this thread.

Who do yall recommend?
TempurPedic
Purple
Casper
Tuft & Needle
tamutaylor12
texagvet95 said:

Apparently no one wants to get rich quick or quit their day job and be their own boss!

Is my sarcasm meter off?
TheMasterplan
We should all be sleeping on the floor anyways.
Ulrich
TheMasterplan said:

We should all be sleeping on the floor anyways.

Big Carpet shill
Dr. Doctor
AG
Not to drag up too many old threads, but found this blog/article about Mattress Firm today.

Apparently shady things going on!

Bankruptcy to get out of leases

Seems like another causality from PE?

~egon
jtmoney03
AG
I've just always assumed Mattress Firms existed as a front for money laundering. It truly makes no sense that there are so many in a region.
wessimo
AG
I'm shocked, shocked that having a mattress store or two on every corner wasn't a sound business strategy.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.