Business & Investing
Sponsored by

SDRL?

2,365 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by malenurse
Agnzona
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Buying oppurtunity or dead cat bounce?
badharambe
AG
havent done much DD but i heard there are talks of bankruptcy?

offshore drilling is very competitive right now, I am very bearish overall, and SDRL from my offshore experience, is a "lesser" driller, not sure it will make the cut, imo.

definitely not an investment, i will look into it but i dont think i will be playing it. i will let you know
ClickClack
AG
Play it for its volatility but chapter 11 is a real possibility if they're not able to re-structure by April 30th I believe it is.
Agnzona
Yep they got the big debt due. I guess I'm trying to figure out if management thinks it best to try and avoid it or do they most likely want it for a fresh start? I was leaning towards playing it for a quick bounce before the inevitable.
ClickClack
AG
Agnzona said:

Yep they got the big debt due. I guess I'm trying to figure out if management thinks it best to try and avoid it or do they most likely want it for a fresh start? I was leaning towards playing it for a quick bounce before the inevitable.

Could bounce above 2.00 in the near term (or go to 1.50). If restructuring is announced (not chapter 11) it could have a 30% day.
ClickClack
AG
Down 25%.

MrJonMan
AG
I've still got a small stake in it, obviously at a loss right now....thinking about buying more now to hedge
Rice and Fries
Please do not buy SDRL, I've bagheld this company since it was $20something in 2014. I got my cost average down to $2.00 and then it went up and it was doing well towards the end of '16 and into '17.

Then it shat the bed. and I sold out. Just have some 2019 call options that are close to worthless.

They have $14 billion in liabilities, no real new big contracts, 42 different lenders that need to either be paid or restructured by the 30th of April. These talks have been going on a long time and have yielded little results. If they do restructure, the lenders will get a bigger piece of the company. Which management will be less inclined to do and there will be more share dilution.

Oil isn't going to reach above $60/bbl until probably later end of the 2nd half of 2017. SDRL is running on fumes, and I think the lowest point is still yet to come.

So do yourself a favor, buy VDE or XOM or hell, even RIG if you want offshore drilling.
ClickClack
AG
snowmnag970 said:

Please do not buy SDRL, I've bagheld this company since it was $20something in 2014. I got my cost average down to $2.00 and then it went up and it was doing well towards the end of '16 and into '17.

Then it shat the bed. and I sold out. Just have some 2019 call options that are close to worthless.

They have $14 billion in liabilities, no real new big contracts, 42 different lenders that need to either be paid or restructured by the 30th of April. These talks have been going on a long time and have yielded little results. If they do restructure, the lenders will get a bigger piece of the company. Which management will be less inclined to do and there will be more share dilution.

Oil isn't going to reach above $60/bbl until probably later end of the 2nd half of 2017. SDRL is running on fumes, and I think the lowest point is still yet to come.

So do yourself a favor, buy VDE or XOM or hell, even RIG if you want offshore drilling.

Pretty sure this.
Rice and Fries
They do indeed have one of the newest fleets out there, and what would happen is the lenders would presumably take control of them and fire sale them to recoup their investment and then fly off into the sunset. That's why it's important for SDRL to keep Chp 11 away.
MrJonMan
AG
Well i just looked and as of close yesterday, I'm down $850 on it. I guess I should just jump ship rather than buy more this low, hoping to make some of that back
FarmerJohn
AG
Quote:

What's going to happen to their assets? I haven't researched this claim, but a buddy told me that they have some of the most sophisticated offshore rigs...

Any way to capitalize on that?
This is true. They have some great assets. But I think they will be lucky to get 10 cents on the dollar versus their cost. (That's what OCR paid for a similar rig about a year ago.) It won't cover their debt. So if you can buy SDRL debt for below that, I think you could make some money.

I have no idea how to actually do that.
Iowaggie
AG
Seadrill filed for bankruptcy in September 2017.
However, it is seeking new contracts (?)

Seadrill reportedly extends contract for West Hercules.

Interestingly, the company secured a letter of intent for West Phoenix for a job that starts in 2020.

The UK/Norway segment is heating up, which is positive not only for Seadrill's future.

I can't say I really understand, except it seems dead.
MrJonMan
AG
I got the notice of bankruptcy filing, since I still own their stock.....unfortunately
Post removed:
by user
malenurse
AG
The West Capricorn is contracted through 2020, I think. My son is out there now.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.