Business & Investing
Sponsored by

SNAP

5,396 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by IrishTxAggie
k&aj07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Snap, company that has SnapChat is expected to go public this week. What is everyone's thoughts and valuation of the company? How will it compare to similar companies such as FB and TWTR.
Rice and Fries
More like twatter me thinks.
Ranger222
AG
I saw $18 today as opening price
themissinglink
AG
How much do you believe in the story?

SNAP S-1

You can't really look at the current financial statements for anything.Like all tech companies, if they achieve the massive revenue growth investors are hoping for, there is plenty of operating leverage in their business model with minimal capex.

Personally, I don't see it. People rely on facebook and they have a ton of personal information about their users which allows it to leverage this information to advertise to users (among other revenue streams). Twitter is a little more gimmicky, but people rely on it for news and information which should allow it to advertise to users. If facebook and twitter disappeared from the market, lots of people would miss the product. I don't think snap is in the same league. I think user growth will start to level off as I don't think plays as well outside of the millennial and younger market. My guess is it will be worse than twitter (so that likely means everyone should back up the truck on it).

Reasons I could be wrong:
  • As I mentioned, plenty of operating leverage in the business.
  • They have are still experiencing massive growth in daily active users. They need to continue to grow this at a huge rate to be successful.
  • Their ability to monetize their platform is in it's infancy and they have seen huge quarterly growth in revenue per daily active. How high can this go before leveling off?
  • They generate $2.15 per user in North America versus $0.28 in Europe and $0.15 in the rest of the world. If they can better monetize their international users, that would be a huge pick-up. They won't get to the same amount, but they can close the gap.
FarmerJohn
AG
Bill Simmons podcast had an interesting tech business discussion last week that included Snapchat. Of course, his podcasts clock in over an hour. Summary for those with things to do, Snapchat is better than the joke that is Twitter, but is no Facebook.
Post removed:
by user
Duncan Idaho
How are they going to be able to monetize what Twitter hasn't been able to.
SlackerAg
AG
I would short after the initial IPO surge.
jh0400
AG
First red flag on page three; we want investor money to do with as we please:

Quote:

We have three classes of common stock: Class A common stock, Class B common stock, and Class C common stock. The rights of the holders of
Class A common stock, Class B common stock, and Class C common stock are identical, except with respect to voting, conversion, and transfer
rights. Class A common stock is non- voting. Anyone purchasing Class A common stock in this offering will therefore not be entitled to any votes.
Each share of Class B common stock is entitled to one vote and is convertible into one share of Class A common stock. Each share of Class C
common stock is entitled to ten votes and is convertible into one share of Class B common stock. The Class C common stock, which is held by our
founders, each of whom is an executive officer and a director of the company, will represent approximately 88.5% of the voting power of our
outstanding capital stock following this offering

Duncan Idaho
That is becoming a common trend.
jh0400
AG
Quote:

if they achieve the massive revenue growth investors are hoping for, there is plenty of operating leverage in their business model with minimal capex.

Their platform runs on Google Cloud, which is both good and bad. It minimizes the need for large infrastructure investments, but there is a marginal cost per user. It looks like they got less efficient yoy from 2015 to 2016. In 2015 they averaged around 100MM DAU at $1.82 per DAU in COGS. 2016 was 150MM DAU at close to $3 per DAU. They've also ramped their S&M spend, and the cost to acquire a DAU went from ~$1 in 2015 to >$2 in 2016. They aren't exhibiting any sort of scale at the moment, and I'm not convinced they'll ever monetize the users. There is so much execution risk here at 20x forward revenue, there's no way I'd touch this thing.
badharambe
AG
as a millennial who trades and uses snapchat daily,

I am looking at doing the same.
OnlyForNow
AG
sooo... is it open yet?
UTex09
OnlyForNow said:

sooo... is it open yet?
No. Currently indicating a 23.50-24.50 opening price.
Post removed:
by user
jpc08
AG
Crazy, that puts their market cap around $33B... about the same as Target.

26 year old CEO with a supermodel fiancee and a big valuation. Not a bad gig.
mhayden
jpc08 said:

She doesn't let him save any naughty pictures though.
themissinglink
AG
jpc08 said:

Hope he got a prenup.
ClickClack
AG
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/02/snap-gets-its-first-wall-street-rating-and-its-a-sell.html
Bocephus
AG
Was interested in it under 20 so I could sell on the pop, but will not touch it this high. Not a fan of the product.
amercer
AG
How is buying non voting shares different than playing blackjack?
DRE06
AG
amercer said:

What? That makes zero sense.
Seven Costanza
AG
FarmerJohn said:

Bill Simmons podcast had an interesting tech business discussion last week that included Snapchat. Of course, his podcasts clock in over an hour. Summary for those with things to do, Snapchat is better than the joke that is Twitter, but is no Facebook.

For me, the gist of it was "they're like twitter in that they don't really have a business model capable of making a lot of money right now, but their CEO is an inspirational genius, so you're really betting on him rather than their current product."
Ragoo
AG
If there are is anything I learned from Silicon Valley it is the following:
A) take less funding with reasonable revenue targets
B) Peter Gregory is dead
ATM9000
AG
Seven Costanza said:

FarmerJohn said:

For me, the gist of it was "they're like twitter in that they don't really have a business model capable of making a lot of money right now, but their CEO is an inspirational genius, so you're really betting on him rather than their current product."

The guy talked abt it like Twitter and I don't think it was so much that the CEO is a genius as it was 'yeah It's like Twitter but Twitter fumbled the football horribly.' I think the point he was making was that Snapchat will be just fine so long as they don't screw the pooch like Twitter.
Seven Costanza
AG
ATM9000 said:

Seven Costanza said:

FarmerJohn said:

The guy talked abt it like Twitter and I don't think it was so much that the CEO is a genius as it was 'yeah It's like Twitter but Twitter fumbled the football horribly.' I think the point he was making was that Snapchat will be just fine so long as they don't screw the pooch like Twitter.

I disagree. The tech guy said "I haven't seen a product visionary like this since Steve Jobs. I think he's that great. The problem is they don't really have a business yet. If you're betting on Snapchat, it's really a bet on Evan Spiegel."
amercer
AG
DRE06 said:

amercer said:

What? That makes zero sense.

I understand the purpose of stocks in a classical economic sense. I don't understand, fundamentally, the purpose of stocks in companies that don't pay dividends and don't let you vote. The only reason to buy that stock is the hope that someone else will pay you for it later. It's completely removed from the actual ability of the company to make money selling a product or service.
wessimo
AG
When do options start trading?
SlackerAg
AG
What proprietary technology does Snap own for their moat?
ClickClack
AG
wessimo said:

When do options start trading?

Should be 5 trading days after IPO. I was researching yesterday.
HC
I jumped in this morning and sitting up 3.25% right now. I realize I have to sell to actual realize profit, but wanted to thank y'all for the heads uo
OnlyForNow
AG
I was in and out yesterday and broke even... if I had held on today I woulda been up 5 dollars a share.
62strat
AG
jpc08 said:

Not sure why he went for a supermodel pushing her mid 30s. She's gonna want kids soon, that's gonna put a hamper in his new found lifestyle.

He shoulda bagged a 21 year old supermodel.
The Original AG 76
AG
I dont use snap so I have an honest question....
What is it ( all I know is that it is some kinda picture sharing app) and how does it make money ? I understand how FB with their ads popping up all over the damn place sells space but how does some picture app make money ?
DRE06
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

I dont use snap so I have an honest question....
What is it ( all I know is that it is some kinda picture sharing app) and how does it make money ? I understand how FB with their ads popping up all over the damn place sells space but how does some picture app make money ?

Just going to take a wild stab here, but probably by ads popping up all over the damn place
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.